Make a donation

Author Topic: 'Check Brake Pads'  (Read 2091 times)

Offline tartanmartin85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
'Check Brake Pads'
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:58:02 am »
I had my front tyres replaced at the weekend and since then I've had the 'Check Brake Pads' warning light appear a couple of times.

Now, while my backs could well be on there way I was wondering whether the light comes on and permanently stays on when the pads are worn? At the moment mine isn't always on when I start the car and drive, it can then maybe appear after a few mins or not. Given that it's not always on, does this suggest it could be the cabling? Is there a quick check that I can do?

Cheers

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
Re: 'Check Brake Pads'
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:31:18 am »
I bet they have knocked the wear pad plug on the front left brake. They can be broken very easily and will bring on the warning light. If your pads were worn the light would be on all the time. You can buy a harness repair kit from vw for about £25. The part number is 1K0927903B. You have to cut the old loom and splice in the new one. It is easy as all the wires are colour coded and takes about an hour to complete.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline tartanmartin85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:26:51 pm »
You called it exactly right!  :happy2:

I had the car in at VW and they looked at it for me - £186 for the pleasure or replacing it!!! Absolutely no way I am paying two hours VW labour for that.

Do you know if there has been a how to? Does it come with everything to properly cover and seal the cut wires? I think I'll just order the part myself anyway.

Cheers!

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
The harness repair kit is basically a loom with the brake pad wear sensor plug and abs sensor plug on it. On the other end there are four wires which are all colour coded so you know which ones go to which when you splice it into the existing loom. I used some crimp connectors to join the old to the new and wrapped them all up with insulating tape. Then just reinstall and connect the plugs. It takes about an hour to do so I dont see how they could charge all that money to do the job.

Offline tartanmartin85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:07:22 pm »
Excellent, thank you. Is this the part I'm looking for?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=270708358567

Is it both sides of the plug (male & female) that brake or is it just one side?

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »
No mate, that part is not the correct one as that is a single plug loom.  Id purchase it from VW or from TPS as it only costs £25 :happy2: