All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Paint warranty Claim

(1/4) > >>

JPC:
Hi guys,

Just been to VW with regards to some terrible stone chips on the front of my 6 month old Golf.

They really are bad and it brings the whole car down, i could detail it to the highest standard and i still wouldn't want to look at it. kinda fallen out of love with the car to be honest.

One side if fine, the other is peppered. indicating a definite inconsistency with the paint on the bumper.

Anyway, i phoned up VW UK who were more than helpful and i went to the dealer who sold me the car. the body shop manager came out with his paint thickness gauge and measured all sorts (i was eagle eyeing and noticed the gauge must not have been calibrated for years as it was giving WAAAAY thin readings) He also took loads of photos with my chassis number.
The body shop manager was puzzled when he couldn't get a reading on my bumper.

i said "its plastic, the gauge you are using will only work on ferrous and non ferrous metals"
To which he wasnt happy with a 20 year old filling in a body shop manager about the ins and outs about paint depth gauges and said "its something i have to do for VW UK"

i was bemused, he was embarrassed.

Anyways, the outcome seemed pretty positive. Both the service manager and Body shop manager agreed it has happened much too prematurely no matter what the car has been exposed to.  The difference from one side to the other is pretty shocking. it seems it is more of a wear and tear issue, to which im hoping VW will address under warranty.

Sorry i have no pics, i can hardly look at the front of my car as it is, let alone post up pics!

NEWEY:
sorry to here this mate. lets hope it all gets sorted fast. :)

tony_danza:
At least the dealers are being positive - I had a 6 month battle with Volvo when her new C30 turned up looking like it'd been polished with a yard brush dipped in artex.

A few gentle pokes from Trading Standards finally got it sorted, I have a feeling you'll get a faster outcome. Will you be happy if they repaint it though??

neo66:
I know what it's like to not actually like your motor, I hated mine a couple months back, not happy with it at the mo really (even tho I spent hours cleaning just 2 wheels yesterday) because I got no cash to play with it at all!

Ifti:
I know you probably dont want to, but I'd really appreciate some pics - just so I know what to look out for if it happens to me. I have some stone chips on my car, but not so bad, but I would be interested to see what could possibly be covered by warranty for future reference?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version