Make a donation

Author Topic: Hesitation Problem on 2.0 TFSI  (Read 3896 times)

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
Hesitation Problem on 2.0 TFSI
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:44:57 pm »
I have an S3 and it has developed a problem when starting from cold. I just thought I'd see if anyone has had similar before I go ahead and start investigating. There are no fault codes by the way.

When I set off in the morning or if the car has been left for a few hours, the car hesitates really badly around 2.5krpm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. This is only at 1/4 throttle when just warming the car up. The revs hold and then shoot off again after a few seconds.

I have done the PCV valve check and the engine juddered like it should do when the dipstick was removed for a moment so that seems fine. I have the Forge DV so that should be fine (Its only been on for 3k miles) I have a Sachs 550nm clutch and LOBA single mass flywheel that was fitted not too long ago so that should also be fine. I've fitted new plugs also. Myself and my mechanic will be having a good look at the weekend but any ideas or people who have had similar issues would be a great help.

This problem lasts for just a minute or 2 then clears up completely by the way. Very strange.

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Hesitation Problem on 2.0 TFSI
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
Shark remap? Maybe put it back to standard and see if the problem is still there?

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »
What year of S3?

Some 2010 S3s have had hesitation issues with Revo maps, tho that did seem to be Revo specific
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
Datalogging various channels while its happening is the simple solution. As a VAG tuner you probably have boxes of coilpacks on the shelf, chuck a set at it as a test.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 10:16:15 pm »
Have you tried to hold the car on the hesitation spot.  So when it starts to hesitate just keep the throttle on, which may keep the fault on for longer and maybe log a fault.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:53 pm »
Datalogging various channels while its happening is the simple solution. As a VAG tuner you probably have boxes of coilpacks on the shelf, chuck a set at it as a test.

We don't have any as we are mail order only until we move into a new unit being built in October. We'll have plenty at the ready then :)

I'll do some data logging at the weekend, just thought it best to see if anyone had seen similar and something I could look at 1 night this week. It is very strange, I can't see it being a coil pack with it being such a quick fault. IE it disappears literally a minute after setting off an doesn't re-appear that day unless left for 4/5 hours.

I thought maybe the charcoal canister could be the route of it, like you say though I'll do some data logging and see if it throws anything up. It's difficult though as we will have such a small time frame to catch it and then it will disappear again  :laugh:

www.gnjmotorsport.com
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:18 pm »
Oh and for those that have mentioned maps it has Shark stage 3 on. I will put the stock map back on if we don't find an issue at the weekend and see if that helps it. I doubt it though.

www.gnjmotorsport.com
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:21 am »
PCV? What is it and also why would engine judder briefly when dipsticks removed?

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 01:59:17 am »
I have a hesitation issue on mine as well, but my problem sounds very different.
If I cruise on the motorway between 70 and 80 it hesitates very frequently, but only seems to do it then, never at lower speeds??  :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 08:24:34 am »
Could be a long shot but could try spark plugs? Mine used to misfire under load all the time until I replaced them  :sad1:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Mackenzie79

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 06:24:23 pm »
Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have a mk5 2.0 tfsi with the same problems. The car has no fault codes, and has had various parts changed; PVC, spark plugs, temp sensor and fuel filter changed, still no joy.
If the car has been left for a few hours it hesitates when pulling off like it's getting no fuel. This is very brief and after runs perfectly. I have been told that this is 'choke mode' and this is supposed to happen?! I'm lost as never heard of this or had this issue before.