Make a donation

Author Topic: BCS 3" 'Powervalve' Turbo back Exhaust System  (Read 56543 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: BCS 3" 'Powervalve' Turbo back Exhaust System
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 11:24:59 am »

If this valve is closed below 4000 rpm does it lower the power of that area.

ie most of our driving is done below 4k so will the car be less responsive

....He says it keeps low down torque.

Personally I want to hear my exhaust all through the whole rev range from a standstill and to do so in a naturally progressive way and not with any sudden changes.

I dont think it lowers the power at all with the valve being closed, it just silences it more (almost std sounding having 2 silencers) and still keeps low down torque (best of both worlds IMO), meaning its nice and quiet for pootling around so as not to upset the local bed wetters and also I dont feel like a Bit of a cock Boy Racer, but when your out of the villages/town on the open road it achieves it's sportier tone by bypassing the larger silencer, it does not feel less responsive in the low rev range, it definately feels more responsive as the system diameter is much larger and more free flowing than std system even with the valve closed (larger overall diameter and 200 cell CAT is going to flow gasses quicker than VW exhaust  :happy2:).

The valve starts to open at 3500rpm and (would estimate) is fully open by around 4000rpm, you cannot "feel" a step in power or anything (Its not like a Civic hitting second set of cams  :grin:) you just feel it is more sporty sounding and and it wants to go!, I am sure the Stage 2 remap and Intake system will allow it to achieve more as currently its running stock VW map and is not set up for the new exhaust yet!.

As for wanting the sound all the time, well ETTO on that, but when i'm Pootling around I did not want a "sporty/raspy/loud" exhaust as where I live there are way too many "Stick wavers" for that (Old people), I can cruise past them and not one stick is waved at me angrily (as dont forget the roads belong to old people  :grin:) but when I am away from the villages on open roads I can enjoy myself a bit and let the exhaust do its thing.

That is what I wanted and what I got, had I wanted sporty all the time I would probably have gone for the BCS "Sport" system, but after making clear to Nige and Dave that at 39 I considered myself to be beyond wanting a constantly sporty sound (for above reasons) it was decided I would go with the new tech.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 11:27:36 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t8lvdrs6nlo4k0tu61c0h3bkt6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 11:28:17 am »
Id love to get a just a cat back of this, but IMO the price is too high (even tho i'm sure its a great piece of kit)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 11:33:10 am »
the price is too high
Perhaps if you watch your mpg, you might save enough pennies for one!  :grin:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 11:35:54 am »
Id love to get a just a cat back of this, but IMO the price is too high (even tho i'm sure its a great piece of kit)

Its a shame you already have a Downpipe as im pretty sure the full TBE system I bought is cheaper than the milltek TBE   :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=t8lvdrs6nlo4k0tu61c0h3bkt6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 11:45:58 am »

Its a shame you already have a Downpipe as im pretty sure the full TBE system I bought is cheaper than the milltek TBE   :happy2:

I dont have a high flow DP.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 11:48:24 am »
the price is too high
Perhaps if you watch your mpg, you might save enough pennies for one!  :grin:

:signLOL:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »

Save another few pennies and get the full system then, problem sorted  :signLOL:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 01:52:19 pm »

Save another few pennies and get the full system then, problem sorted  :signLOL:

No. I don't want stage 2 power. Stage 1 is plenty for road use.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »

Its a shame you already have a Downpipe as im pretty sure the full TBE system I bought is cheaper than the milltek TBE   :happy2:

Save another few pennies and get the full system then, problem sorted  :signLOL:

Fair enuff Rich, I am going stage 2 and I should be happy with that, anything over 300 is OK with me.  :happy2:

Maybe you will change your mind later on?, seriously I dont think you can have too much power?, its only an extra 15-25hp  :grin:  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:24:39 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline Powervalve Nige

• Trader - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 76
  • Don't get angry, get a beter argument
    • POWERVALVE
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 02:39:07 pm »
Hey guys
Just for the purpose of clarification, the valve is boost activated, not revs activated, which effectively means that as demand is created for more gas flow the valve is activated to allow this transfer to take place, hence the fluid action created.
In simple terms the car can be running at 5000rpm without the turbo under load, and therefore not generating boost, similarly the demand for boost can begin to be noticeable as low as 2000rpm (It's only a bad boy when it needs to be  :innocent:)
Cheers
Nige

PS I would publish the full blurb and inspiration behind the design on here but sadly am not able to  :sad1:
However, if anyone wishes to pm me aI am happy to let you have the full story.

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:56 pm »
Nice review Tamiyoman, now upload a video  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:18 pm »
My problem is using my Iphone its not great quality, I can record the sound static but not driving by yet, problem is I live in middle of nowhere, my mates all live 150+ miles away  :signLOL:

Will get a static video uploaded soon.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:44:16 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »
Will hopefully get a video tomorrow while at Jabba on the Rolling Road so you can hear the exhaust.

h4rdy

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »

+1 and for pretty much everything else.

R32UK

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »
Great review! If i was considering a new system then for me this would be the one to go for.... im not one for loud exhausts and this is the sole factor that has stopped me from ever having an aftermarket one fitted.

I 'like' this  :happy2: