Make a donation

Author Topic: The Official Detailing Guide for Your GTi  (Read 70294 times)

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Re: The Official Detailing Guide for Your GTi
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:15 am »
127 views and not one thanks  :sad1:

There you go  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
 :happy2:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 10:54:39 am »
Thank you very much  :smiley:

Working with autoperfections to get some product links up and the discount code to help everyone out. Seeing how they contribute to the forum i thought it only fair they get a mention within the thread

:grouphug:

Shouldnt take too long!

Offline clive_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:07:09 am »
What products would you recommend for steel/united grey?  The paint is in good condition and was recently clayed.  All products would be applied by hand (meguiars pad) and I currently have the following in my garage:

Meguiars Clay Bar & Quick Detailer (Used this recently for the first time!)
Autoglym SRP (Tried it and didn't like the white residue it left on plastics & rubber but maybe I over applied?)
Turtlewax Gloss Guard (Bought a few years ago but not tried it yet)
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (Used regularally)
Autoglym Aqua Wax (Used once a month to top up shine)

Would some combination of the above be sufficient or should I be looking at different products to bring out the best?  How do you rate Autoglym HD Wax?

Offline autoperfection.com

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 28
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:35 pm »
Hi Clive,

The clay and quick detailer and good products, however, there are better alternatives available to the SRP, Gloss Guard and Tech Wax.

Depending on your budget in our opinion you would be better to first of all clay the vehicle with the clay kit you already have, and then use something like Lusso Revitalising Creme (doesn't create any dust or leave behind any white residue) and then finish with a carnauba paste wax, such as Lusso Oro, Dodo Juice Purple Haze or if your budget allows - Dodo Juice Supernatural.

We feel that if you use these products, rather than those you've listed, you will find them easier to use and you'll achieve better results.

With regards to the AG HD Wax, it does a good job, however, we feel that there are better products out there that are better value for money and achieve better results.

Hope this helps

Taryn and Jim  :happy2:

Offline clive_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 02:14:31 pm »
^^^ Thanks, I'll have a look at your site to see prices for the products recommended :happy2:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 06:11:10 pm »
^^^ Thanks, I'll have a look at your site to see prices for the products recommended :happy2:

No problem... if you do order anything, enter 'mk5golfgti' into the discount coupon box and you'll get 10% off the products  :happy2:

Offline 08micsta

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 08:18:27 am »
Alrigthy guys  :smiley:

Original Post updated with new Autoperfection links to their products. Thanks for the effort that has gone into this guide everyone  :drinking:
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:43 pm »
Jules mate. Cracking thread and you have my thanks.

A bit of advice though if you could. When I looked on the Meguires site it basically says what you say. Clean, polish and then wax but when they use the NEXGEN 2.0 tech wax stuff they just wash the car and use it straight away without polishing? Should I be applying a polish first before the tech wax or am I missing something. The car looks nice when I've used it but I can't help feeling its missing something?

Cheers mate. :smiley:

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • autoperfection.com
    • autoperfection shop
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 10:34:22 am »
A bit of advice though if you could. When I looked on the Meguires site it basically says what you say. Clean, polish and then wax but when they use the NEXGEN 2.0 tech wax stuff they just wash the car and use it straight away without polishing? Should I be applying a polish first before the tech wax or am I missing something. The car looks nice when I've used it but I can't help feeling its missing something?
Hi Boothmeister
When you first work on the car to get the best results you should ideally do a 4 stage process
1-    Wash the car with the methods described in this thread.
2-   Clay the car
3-   Polish/Pre wax cleanse
4-   Wax
You should basically do the above to get the car in the best shape and then maintain the finish by topping up the wax – so every month or more often if you wanted wash and then wax the car.
Dependant on the how much the car is used this whole process should be repeated either every 6 months or 12 months.
For more protection and better looks there are some better and easier to use products than the meguiars

Hope this helps.
Taryn and Jim :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 10:39:23 am »

....Excellent post! :happy2: 8) :happy2:

If I ever decide to bother to go to so much trouble cleaning my car (very doubtful!) I'll refer to it. This post is one of the best I've read because it's clear and not daunting. Many detailing how-to threads get pretty anal.

Meanwhile, a couple of hours handwash and only when she gets dirty (so I can see a difference) is all I do except cleaning the wheels as they get dirty quicker.

Otherwise I use a speed detailer to locally remove any bird poo or similar each time I put her away in my garage.

I don't know why, but personally I don't like the look of an ultra shiny car - Am I the only one who thinks like that?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:14 am »

If I ever decide to bother to go to so much trouble cleaning my car (very doubtful!) I'll refer to it. This post is one of the best I've read because it's clear and not daunting. Many detailing how-to threads get pretty anal.

Meanwhile, a couple of hours handwash and only when she gets dirty (so I can see a difference) is all I do except cleaning the wheels as they get dirty quicker.

Otherwise I use a speed detailer to locally remove any bird poo or similar each time I put her away in my garage.

I don't know why, but personally I don't like the look of an ultra shiny car - Am I the only one who thinks like that?

Yes you are.................. Dirty boy!  :P

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
im obviously one of the many who thinks a shiny car looks amazing!

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 11:43:27 am »
So Rob. This does nothing for you?

Thats not what I heard.....  :innocent:

:signLOL: Stop lying to yourself... You do but you're just too lazy to clean your mistress  :evilgrin:

Mike
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:45:23 am by 08micsta »
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »

As autoperfections said, you wont need to polish all the time. Polish is a correction stage and so should only be done every 4-6 months (or longer is used less and maintained well)

Just keep the shine topped up with more coats of wax, bearing in mind most waxes will stop being affective after 4-6 coats (wax dependent) So if you wax once a month then by the 6 month strip it off and start the process again  :wink:

No probs mate, just my findings and experience. Im sure there are better more detailed guides, but this should hopefully help by being used for sections, for if you want to know about engine cleaning or wax for example.

Have to say i think a car looks best when its gleaming  8)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 02:28:17 pm »

So Rob. This does nothing for you?

:signLOL: Stop lying to yourself... You do but you're just too lazy to clean your mistress  :evilgrin:

Mike

....Obviously those are very cool pics but as aesthetic photography and the shiny cars are only subjects. In the flesh, I still don't much like cars when they look so brand new and not driven. I can't force myself to feel what I don't.

Yes, I am too 'lazy' to clean my car to that standard and also not so skilled, or patient. I keep telling myself I should pay someone to detail my car for me who knows what they are doing - Someone like Taryn and Jim. But I don't find that I'm that bothered to go that far and pick up the phone - I'd rather spend the money on petrol.

I bought some cleaning cloths and speed detailer from Taryn on Saturday - Only the sort of stuff to make my level of cleaning easier.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!