All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Tips for fitting lowered springs, updated with pics

<< < (4/7) > >>

pazz:
Just be very careful with spring compressor's folks. Every mechanic at some point will of had one slip. My head had a lucky escape with a motorbike shocker once that I had to compress a fair bit.

Just take it very steady when tightening them and make sure you apply compression evenly to both sides. Dont just tighten one up and then the other. Simple job but if things are done wrong it can end up messy.

The wheel man:

--- Quote from: pazz on May 21, 2009, 12:21:45 pm ---Just be very careful with spring compressor's folks. Every mechanic at some point will of had one slip. My head had a lucky escape with a motorbike shocker once that I had to compress a fair bit.

Just take it very steady when tightening them and make sure you apply compression evenly to both sides. Dont just tighten one up and then the other. Simple job but if things are done wrong it can end up messy.

--- End quote ---

Wise words!!

Also, make sure that you have all the correct size torque bolts etc and some are a funny size as i found out  :sad:

TomB:

--- Quote from: pazz on May 21, 2009, 12:21:45 pm ---Just be very careful with spring compressor's folks. Every mechanic at some point will of had one slip. My head had a lucky escape with a motorbike shocker once that I had to compress a fair bit.

Just take it very steady when tightening them and make sure you apply compression evenly to both sides. Dont just tighten one up and then the other. Simple job but if things are done wrong it can end up messy.

--- End quote ---

Yes indeed, one of my friends still has a limp after the compressor slipped off and the spring flew into his knee.  That was about 5 years ago!

gazbutS3:
well did it today, no mis-haps, quite enjoyed it, really pleased with the results, pics later :happy2:

gazbutS3:
OK fitted the springs today, and enjoyed doing it, was going to do a thread of how to do it but once I got going I couldn't stop :smiley:

I've always been a bit apprehensive about just changing the springs and using the OE dampers, would normally uprate both or go coilovers, but money is a bit tight and I bagged these H&R springs of HUFC for decent money so I thought I'd give them a go, and if they weren't any good change them at a later date.
Well I'm really impressed with the results, people have said before when changing from OE springs to uprated that the ride is better and I've been a bit sceptical, with these H&R's it is, the bumps are more controlled, less choppy and there is less body roll.
Its has really toughened the look of the car up and the wheels fill the arches perfectly, maybe now Tom and Joe will get off my back about lowering it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

before



after











O yeh and Charlie had a shower :laugh:



Thanx for lookin :happy2:

Fcuk I made hard work of that :smiley:




Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version