Make a donation

Author Topic: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review (UPDATED 23rd Oct)....  (Read 88174 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: UNIbraces XB & UB - Review....
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:59 pm »
Hello Robin,

I'm not surprised that there could be some additional noise from the UNIbrace XB as it is tying the car together and like you mention as things get more tightened there is additional noise. However, the way you are describing it seems very unusual to me. Was the cargo net with metal fasteners attached when you had this experience? I'm just trying top figure out where the additional resonance could be coming from. Personally, I wonder that you may not have driven that stretch of road with the seats folded down. This coupled with the UNIbrace XB could be creating new sounds. Looking forward to your further reviews. Bruce

....I went out and tested it this morning, with cargo net still attached, on exactly the same stretch of road and the sound has gone. I have driven that stretch many times in the past with seats down and before having a XB.

I can only think that it may have been some kind of settling in. I also tried to see if similar speed on similar roads induced the sound. I'm very glad to report that the noise, which was a fairly major level, has disappeared. EDIT: I have since discovered that it's the road surface of just one lane of that stretch of road which causes that unpleasant sound.

I have to say that, contrary to expectation, I'm loving the XB effect and think it's exploiting my KW V3 suspension to my benefit. The car even feels more stable when having to change direction more suddenly than preferred - For example, for some kinds of overtakes on a narrow English road.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:26:34 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »

*grab a brew

Robin

I was chatting with rectal rooter Janner Sy this morning about my recent Trackday and how the car handled.

He suggests I try a few wet sessions for further experience but I wonder, even though the turn in and grip was amazing on my car (despite my inexperience I felt really happy with it.  Perhaps tweaks will be wanted when I get better) if you can go 'too stiff' especially in the wet with my levels of power

:popcornsoda:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
I think I'd be wanting the shell as stiff as possible and the suspension adjustable enough to address the stiffness. I would have to agree with RR that the Xb makes it feel the suspension is working more efficiently...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3qo0j3c3gcaukg8ohvviqapkc6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 05:04:51 pm »
What I want is someone to fit it themselves... and follow these instructions.

-------------

Jack the car up from the rear jacking point, ONLY one side (just in front of the rear wheel).

Raise the car so that both rear wheels are off the ground. (car chassis should be under torsion)

Bolt up the front of the UB, and tighten bolts.

Start to bolt up the back of the UB and take photos to show me how much its pulling the chassis into alignment. (or if you have means to measure it then that would be even better)

Then Ill shut up and leave you all alone.  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
I would  happily show you the alignment of the holes on the Xb, with the car flat one ground and then being jacked... When I get back from east Sussex I will, it's quite interesting... :-)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3qo0j3c3gcaukg8ohvviqapkc6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
I would  happily show you the alignment of the holes on the Xb, with the car flat one ground and then being jacked... When I get back from east Sussex I will, it's quite interesting... :-)

The UB... not XB.  :happy2:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:32 am »
I would  happily show you the alignment of the holes on the Xb, with the car flat one ground and then being jacked... When I get back from east Sussex I will, it's quite interesting... :-)

The UB... not XB.  :happy2:

Apologies... Thought you were a doubter of both systems... :)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 08:20:30 am »
I was definitely a doubter of both the XB and UB UNIbraces until some of my questions were answered in the Group Buy thread. The designer Bruce, being an architect and product designer, carried a lot of weight in his answers - I started out in architecture (I was accepted in the internationally acclaimed Architectural Association School in London) and I know that such training goes further than the usual engineering. In other words, as a product designed by an architect who is also a performance car enthusiast, it stood more than just a chance of working well. One, or two, word posts on car forums by folks who are impressed but don't describe in some detail why they think a product is "awesome" etc, don't cut it with me.

The difference the UNIbrace XB makes to my car in the driving experience is equivalent to that felt when adding the Quaife diff. I think that the Quaife is a far more valuable mod to our FWD cars but I'm referring to the degree of difference felt by a mod - You don't become aware of the Quaife (or similar diff) until you are 'on it' and the same is true for the UNIbrace XB.

However, the proof of any pudding is in the eating and I was still prepared to sell on my XB if it hadn't delivered the definable benefits which I have described, as I will be with my UB. It remains to be seen how I find the UB but what I have found in the XB gives me confidence that the UNIbrace UB will also add benefits - I'm now not expecting to be disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:25:30 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 08:36:05 am »
These braces sound great, and thanks to Robin for another Awesome Review (and the discussions that follow) alot of questions and concerns are answered.  :notworthy:

I like the idea of getting stiffer  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 08:50:47 am »

*grab a brew

Robin

I was chatting with rectal rooter Janner Sy this morning about my recent Trackday and how the car handled.

He suggests I try a few wet sessions for further experience but I wonder, even though the turn in and grip was amazing on my car (despite my inexperience I felt really happy with it.  Perhaps tweaks will be wanted when I get better) if you can go 'too stiff' especially in the wet with my levels of power

:popcornsoda:

....I think that someone like SteveP or tony_danza will be better qualified to answer your question as they have much more track experience - Perhaps start a new thread in the track area of the forum?

However, when it's wet, much comes down to grip and consequently appropriate tyres. When the car chassis/body is stiffer (such as with a roll-cage) it allows the suspension to do more of the work it's designed to do. The UNIbraces are not alternatives for a roll-cage but they contribute significantly to stiffness. We all know that more stiffness = more fun  :wink: :evilgrin:

The best mod of all you can do is driver training aka remapping your brain.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »

Any updates guys?

....I'm removing my XB next week so I'll remind myself what standard is like before fitting the UB next Thursday 14th.

After experiencing what the UB feels like to drive on its own for a bit I'll add to my review's original post accordingly.

I'll then add my XB to the already fitted UB, experience that and then further add to my review accordingly.

Meanwhile, other folks comments on their experiences with UNIbraces would be good to hear.  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2012, 10:44:06 am »
Fitted the UB this morning.  :happy2:

Went from this:

To this:

It's too wet to give any objective opinions unfortunately. 

btw I have a Milltek TBE and didn't need the spacer kit.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:05 am »
But yours is non-res correct? Looks good, look forward to your impressions...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
But yours is non-res correct? Looks good, look forward to your impressions...

Nope I have a resonated exhaust.
If you look at this pic you can see the extra resonator on the cat back section at the far left.

Without traction power is nothing!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2012, 11:53:30 am »
Ahhh I didn't realise that was the position ofthe res box... Nice one, looks great!
Diesel Daily Hack.