Make a donation

Author Topic: aftermarket air intake  (Read 18147 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: aftermarket air intake
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »
Hmm hard to explain, the blow off sound is louder with abit of a growl when giving it some,

It doesnt sound like the growl you hear on a piper x  fiestas you get around town, its quiet when
you want it to be.

....VrStu gave me a ride in his Octavia with an EVOMS - Personally, I really didn't like the sound at all - Very rough and grating like a cement mixer.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »
Hmm hard to explain, the blow off sound is louder with abit of a growl when giving it some,

It doesnt sound like the growl you hear on a piper x  fiestas you get around town, its quiet when
you want it to be.

....VrStu gave me a ride in his Octavia with an EVOMS - Personally, I really didn't like the sound at all - Very rough and grating like a cement mixer.
   :surprised:  Don't be saying that when im all excited waiting for mine!!!!!!!!!! or i'll have to mention the girl you posted in an earlier thread that you dated was actually a lady boy. :signLOL:

The world we live in and life in general.....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 01:45:23 pm »
^^^^
Sorry Davy! It is only a personal view though and anything to do with sound is very subjective.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 01:51:05 pm »

Was kidding, I know where you're coming from re sound etc.  I listened to a few on youtube, didnt sound too bad though hard to tell.

It just arrived as I was typing :jumpmove:, really would love to put it on but need the feckin heat shield...... :fighting:

Anyone whos fitted one of these know if it would be much hassle to fit it for a few days and then remove part to fit the heatshield later?
Am i making work for myself doing this?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »
^^^^
It's up to you of course but our FSI engines get pretty hot and, if it was me, I'd wait for the heatshield and play it safe.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »

Was kidding, I know where you're coming from re sound etc.  I listened to a few on youtube, didnt sound too bad though hard to tell.

It just arrived as I was typing :jumpmove:, really would love to put it on but need the feckin heat shield...... :fighting:

Anyone whos fitted one of these know if it would be much hassle to fit it for a few days and then remove part to fit the heatshield later?
Am i making work for myself doing this?

Is it the MAF heatshield that your missing? If so you can fit this easily with the intake fitted.. No problems at all..

Just make sure that when fitting the intake remove the rear engine cover mounts first then it will make fitting the heatshield with the intake in place easy!

I wouln't say there is any problem running the intake without the heatshield, just its going to help when you get it installed..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 02:56:19 pm »
I wouln't say there is any problem running the intake without the heatshield, just its going to help when you get it installed..

....Highly unlikely to be a problem short term but, on the basis of reading posts across the pond, there have been cases of melting pipes - Hence why suppliers bother to manufacture a heatshield.

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit over cautious.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 02:59:32 pm »

....Highly unlikely to be a problem short term but, on the basis of reading posts across the pond, there have been cases of melting pipes - Hence why suppliers bother to manufacture a heatshield.

Sorry, I know I'm being a bit over cautious.

Yeah, its certainly not idea but I doubt you would have too many problems if its just short term..

Thats the only potential problem with the Evoms, it does get the intake pipe pretty soft when really hot..

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »

Thanks for the replies, its cold and wet outside so im going to hang fire for now.  Hopefully have the heat shield by Monday. :happy2:

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 03:25:06 pm »

Thanks for the replies, its cold and wet outside so im going to hang fire for now.  Hopefully have the heat shield by Monday. :happy2:

Oh and thanks for the tip re the cover mounts.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 03:28:52 pm »
I have a heatshield I dont use anymore - trouble is I dont have it around at the mo after storing the things out the garage.

How much is it worth?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 03:33:13 pm »

Oh and thanks for the tip re the cover mounts.

No probs  :happy2:

jpv

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »
Just to add to the mix, i have VF engineering intake fitted. The one thing I will say is that a 'boxed' filter could be quieter than an open one like this. This kit made the car throttle response much sharper and 'free-er' feeling and works well with the stage 2 remap and performance downpipe etc. It also added a few new sounds to the cabin, such as a gentle whooshing under acceleration, sometimes a whistle, and a sound like a BOV when changing gear. I didn't buy it for the sound factor, but don't mind it one bit - just something to bear in mind.

Offline DavyP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 04:00:57 pm »
Just to add to the mix, i have VF engineering intake fitted. The one thing I will say is that a 'boxed' filter could be quieter than an open one like this. This kit made the car throttle response much sharper and 'free-er' feeling and works well with the stage 2 remap and performance downpipe etc. It also added a few new sounds to the cabin, such as a gentle whooshing under acceleration, sometimes a whistle, and a sound like a BOV when changing gear. I didn't buy it for the sound factor, but don't mind it one bit - just something to bear in mind.

I was sorta hoping this would add some interesting new sounds to my driving experience, hence i took it over the Dbilas.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 04:11:54 pm »
I was sorta hoping this would add some interesting new sounds to my driving experience

....I like your thinking!

Hearing your car's mechanicals etc greatly enriches your driving pleasure doesn't it. I can't stand over soundproofed and wallowing caccoon-like cars! :fighting:

Unfortunately modern trends are towards caccooning us :angry015: