All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area
Bad Vibrations
Rich:
Steve,
I had a similar problem,
All it was is the nuts/bolts were lose ( scary to think )
It made a thuddering noise when driving.
Hope you get it fixed pal :happy2:
Just read your previous posts - rushing to think i had the answer, i wrote the above.
I definately would have the wheels balanced... i also had a problem when i got new wheels on my old Golf... when travelling at over 60mph.. the steering wheel would shudder hard.
pazz:
Then I think best to see about getting them balanced. Did they maybe take the weights off to colour code??? :surprised:
Either way most wheels shops dont charge alot to get two wheels balanced. Just unusual for them to just "go out of balance" (if thats the problem).
Boothy:
I've had this problem twice on two different cars. The first time it was a dodgy wheel but the second time it was due to a misfire under load, exactly as your describing. I'm not sure but it seems you have just had your wheels done so it stands to reason if it does it now and didn't before then its very likely to be the wheels.
On the other hand it may not so just in case this is what happened to mine (not a golf though). When I drove normally and steady it was fine, not a judder. However when I gave it some gas it used to judder like hell. My mechanic friend said it felt like a misfire and after checking the distributor, plugs and HT leads it eventually got traced to the MAF which I seem to remember was the mass air flow meter and a faulty HT lead that had broken down inside the casing.
Hope this helps if it ain't the wheel mate.
Phil Mcavity:
Could this be a coil pack breaking down, i know the weights were removed. the wheels were then sprayed, tyres put back on and Brand new weights were fitted by superTracker which are a well established wheel setting specialist.
Balancing normally would get a wheel wobble on the steering even traveling at a constant speed.
Never had a coil pack go, must admit, does seem simular to slight misfire and makes the car like its "shivering" being a way of describing it.
What to do!!, who to take the car too, Vw for a diagnostic, or Supertracker??? .im sure its not a buckled alloy.
If the alloy was buckled im sure id get a constant vibration on the car whilst travelling.(like being on a push bike with a buckled wheel) oh those good old days.!!
Electronic misfire,under hard accelaration, cant rule that out. Power seems to be there but id say not a crisp as it has been.
Boothy:
I'm afraid I'm not very mechanically minded unless its something i've already had experience with and I've only had my Golf three weeks. If its a misfire then there are loads of bits it could be but If I've read previous posts correctly then it could be a coil pack? I took my car to Well Lane Turbo Centre near where I live and they basically put it on the rolling road whilst it was linked up to the diagnostic machine. It didn't take him long to narrow it down and eventually find what was causing it. I don't know how the VW diagnostic works but if it only does it under load maybe the rolling road option would be best?
Navigation
[0] Message Index
[#] Next page
[*] Previous page
Go to full version