General > New Member Intro's

History of the Forum?

(1/29) > >>

Mk5 GTian:

I was wondering if there is a thread about the history of the forum?

Who were the founder members, details of their first Mk5 GTi's or other cars at the time etc.  :happy2:

SteveP:
Nope not something we have at present but will put some details together on the history a bit later today  :happy2:

Mk5 GTian:

--- Quote from: SteveP on July 28, 2012, 07:39:52 am ---Nope not something we have at present but will put some details together on the history a bit later today  :happy2:

--- End quote ---

Great, cheers Steve  :happy2:

SteveP:
OK, here's a start  :happy2:

Part 1 - The Humble Beginnings: -

The site was created by Tom (Top Cat) and myself in October 2008. We felt there was a gap in the big world of the t'interweb for a site more focused towards the current generation (as it was at the time) GTI.

We gave ourselves a simple brief that the site had to be free of the ties from commercial sponsors and advertising. So all the initial costs where covered by us.

We number of people got involved during mid October to help test and prove the site before we formally launched later that month. This included people like Greeners (or Greenouse as he was known then  :laugh:), 182_Blue and 08Micsta. 08Micsta was the main person who helped with the forum design and some of the images used on the site.

We all meet through the Golf GTI forum that covers all marks of the Golf, golfgtiforum.co.uk.

Back then Mk5 GTI ownership was a common theme between us as well, I had a Steel Grey Edition 30, Top Cat had a Candy White GTI, Greeners was in a Diamond Black Edition 30, 182_Blue owned a Candy White Edition 30 and 08Micsta at the time didn't drive but his family owned a Tornado Red GTI (He comes from South Africa).

The site officially launched on the 30th October and through word of mouth / internet chatter grew to 150+ members in it's first month.

Initially the member base was made up of purely Mk5 owners but quickly this began to expand to all things 2.0TFSI and more recently pretty much anything VAG.

More to follow  :happy2:

Tfsi_Mike:
 :notworthy:  Great topic

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version