Make a donation

Author Topic: History of the Forum?  (Read 115632 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: History of the Forum?
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

I don't remember Steve asking for suggestions of how to make money for the forum??  :confused:

He has asked for people to come forward if they feel they are able to take on the Admin role as he has his hands full!  :rolleye:

....Nath, I think that the thread's title "History of the Forum" has become 'Future of the Forum' and it does seem an ideal opportunity for folks to post and share their views and ideas about how the forum can best manage to self-finance itself (without financial profit) in its new future without SteveP as Admin.  

Of course, any Admin team can choose to ignore the views expressed and arrange matters as only they think best. The forum isn't a democracy AFAIK.

:happy2:

I understand this Robin, but it just turns into another thread like the one about Phil where the whole thread is made up of guesswork and speculative suggestions. Until such a time when someone does take over from Steve they may indeed ask the members for suggestions, but until that time I really don't see the point in all this talk of suggesting members have to pay!  :confused:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2012, 05:33:21 pm »
I actually can't see anything wrong with a tenner a year say.

The reason?

Have you seen the members list with people who join then never come on here?

Also it stops the time wasters and people who just want to wind people up, sammy, trolling I think its called.

:popcornsoda:

Yeah thats great for all of us. But can you honestly say that when you first came to the forum, without having seen it, or got to know any people, you would have paid a tenner to join?

What about a 3 month free trial with full access so people can find out how great it is, get addicted like us, and then they'll happily part with an Ayrton!  :happy2:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2012, 05:37:52 pm »

....Nath, I think that the thread's title "History of the Forum" has become 'Future of the Forum' and it does seem an ideal opportunity for folks to post and share their views and ideas about how the forum can best manage to self-finance itself (without financial profit) in its new future without SteveP as Admin. 

Of course, any Admin team can choose to ignore the views expressed and arrange matters as only they think best. The forum isn't a democracy AFAIK.

:happy2:

I understand this Robin, but it just turns into another thread like the one about Phil where the whole thread is made up of guesswork and speculative suggestions. Until such a time when someone does take over from Steve they may indeed ask the members for suggestions, but until that time I really don't see the point in all this talk of suggesting members have to pay!  :confused:

....You're not wrong, Nath  :happy2: Understood.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Scrappydo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:37 pm »
Must admit that as someone who has only joined the site a few days ago I feel gobsmacked that it could close down. Please, please will someone with the requisite skills please take it over? Despite the fact that I'm a newbie I really do think the site is a good forum and I would thank all involved for their contributions especially the Site Administrator who I am sure contributes massively to making it such a success.

Please don't let it sink without trace!!!
Now that food has overtaken sex as the main driving force in my life I can't even get into my own pants!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2012, 10:08:32 pm »
^^^^
I don't think that anyone has suggested that the site would close down. The hunt is on to find a replacement just for Admin SteveP as he now has other commitments etc.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2012, 10:05:08 am »
wish i knew how to do it but alas i dont  :rolleye:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline scotta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
  • Edition 30
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2012, 09:04:18 pm »
This forum has been great for me. The golf for me was three cars ago and I still come on here!

I have through this forum

* Been to the BTCC with full hospitality for the weekend with AmD
* Sold my old camera!
* Bought various bits and pieces saving some cash
* fixed various broken stuff on the golf!

I love they way the forum is run and the friendly folk. I do hope that someone steps forward and runs it in the same vein as Mr P.

One small word of caution - if you introduce membership fees you will loose a lot of folk like me who are just around for the banter!

Big thanks to Steve for his dedication so far and for making the forum what it is.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »
I concur, I sold my GTi a few years ago too yet still browse on here.

The forum is easy to navigate and full of useful details and informative members.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:53 pm »
I too would love to be able to look after the forum, but I'm more a hammer and chisel man than a PC and software man.
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2012, 01:43:19 pm »

I too would love to be able to look after the forum, but I'm more a hammer and chisel man than a PC and software man.

....I think that you would make a very good 'local' Moderator for the Modifications & Technical area of the forum, rather like richwig is for the How-to Guides area. Plus you already have experience of being a Moderator on another forum website.

If it helps, I could probably only be trusted to Moderate the VAG Babes area - Like an alcoholic in a brewery!

But by appointing different Moderators restricted to specific areas it will lighten the load of Global Moderators in the site's future.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:46:30 pm by RedRobin »

Saintsteve

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »

....I think that you would make a very good 'local' Moderator for the Modifications & Technical area of the forum, rather like richwig is for the How-to Guides area. Plus you already have experience of being a Moderator on another forum website.

If it helps, I could probably only be trusted to Moderate the VAG Babes area - Like an alcoholic in a brewery!

But by appointing different Moderators restricted to specific areas it will lighten the load of Global Moderators in the site's future.

2nd that... You would make A certain Cat unemployed in my book.  :popcornsoda:

Hope someone comes foward to take over, will be a shame to see the site close. Difficult boots to fill of Mr Pounds.

scottm72

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:55 am »
Sounds like someone who's retired and have lots of time on his hands is needed  :wink:

Any ideas??  :grin:
yeah a retired guy driving a gti lol

scottm72

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2012, 02:29:49 am »
Sorry, but I'm not happy to pay a compulsory membership fee. Beyond paying an Internet Provider, I strongly believe that access to all web sites should be free and I don't bother to visit those which charge, whoever they are and whatever they provide.

As far as this site is concerned I consider that I already contribute enough in the form of help to others etc etc not to have to pay for access. Sorry, my view might be unpopular but I'm just being honest about my feelings in this respect.

If it must be done, then the suggestion of a £1 per "For Sale" item listing is a good and fair one, in my opinion.  :happy2:
sorry have to disagree with you redrobin, i think a token gesture of maybe £10 or £20 per year would be more than fair then maybe £1 per listed for sale item if needed, we all save a lot of money on this site so i think most people would be ok with it

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:09 am »

If it must be done, then the suggestion of a £1 per "For Sale" item listing is a good and fair one, in my opinion.  :happy2:

sorry have to disagree with you redrobin, i think a token gesture of maybe £10 or £20 per year would be more than fair then maybe £1 per listed for sale item if needed, we all save a lot of money on this site so i think most people would be ok with it

....That's a good idea - It would achieve the same and doubtless be much easier to manage for both this site's Admin team and for the sellers.  :happy2:

However, the Admin team have to find a replacement for SteveP first. Without a public announcement, we don't know when this will happen - The changover is likely to be seamless apart from the possibility of an interruption to change servers.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2012, 09:29:28 am »

Sounds like someone who's retired and have lots of time on his hands is needed  :wink:

Any ideas??  :grin:

yeah a retired guy driving a gti lol

....Someone who is retired and who consequently has a lot of time and dedication is clearly an advantage but absolutely useless if they don't have an extensive expertise in IT (as SteveP has).

I think that having extra Moderators who are limited to specific areas (like already done with richwig is on How-to Guides) is an excellent idea because it lightens the load on Global Moderators. What happens is of course up to the decisions of the Admin team.