Make a donation

Author Topic: **HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement **Photos Fixed**  (Read 81259 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: How To: Door lock module replacement
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:11 pm »
Not good. This is how I ended up doing the timing on mine a couple of weekends ago just because it wouldn't stop raining  :signLOL:

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:50 pm »
Ghetto - I like it  :laugh:
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline xonk

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
I did a bit of digging and there was a rubber grommet above the lock (can be seen on the pictures found in the link from doylebros, thanks) I removed this to expose a small red lever. Once pushed it locked the door and seems to have fixed the issue with all locking options, key fob, inside car. Feel a bit better now my car is locked again!

Offline Jonnyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »
Good write up this handy fixing the lock. I ended up replacing the wiring harness too as locking wires were shot along with a few others.

Offline pjuster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: **HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2014, 01:38:15 pm »
great write up, I only need to adjust the door lock, but brilliant.

Thanks for sharing

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2014, 06:45:43 pm »
I changed my door lock and all was fine but now my door is only opening on the second pull.

As in when I pull the handle nothing happens but when I release and open again it then opens so obviously something mechanical is not engaging. It's not an electrical fault.

Anybody any thoughts?

I've taken the inside trim off 4 times now and will break it if I have to do it again!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2014, 07:09:50 pm »
Just take the external handle cover back off and try operating it again from the short wire whilst disconnected from the external handle,if it works first time from pulling the wire recheck your adjustment when connecting it to the external handle?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 01:34:26 pm »
Just take the external handle cover back off and try operating it again from the short wire whilst disconnected from the external handle,if it works first time from pulling the wire recheck your adjustment when connecting it to the external handle?

I tried this in a few different positions with no luck. Any other thoughts?

Offline Jonnyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 01:59:45 pm »
Check the wires in the rubber boot between door and car body, some may have snapped interfering with the lock.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 12:53:53 pm »

I tried this in a few different positions with no luck. Any other thoughts?

I retract my initial statement. I had only pulled the wire more toward me notch by notch with no success as I was putting it back in the same position as it was originally.

I moved the wire backwards from it's original position and now it's working fine! Thanks for the advice!

Offline mattp244

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 07:24:24 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump the thread but today I tried to replace the rear passenger door lock module on my Golf, however, after undoing the T20 bolt for the Locking Cylinder in the door (mines a blank) the actual Cylinder will not budge at all!

Is there anyway I can get it removed? or will I have to try and force it out?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »
Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump the thread but today I tried to replace the rear passenger door lock module on my Golf, however, after undoing the T20 bolt for the Locking Cylinder in the door (mines a blank) the actual Cylinder will not budge at all!

So you actual removed the T20 bolt not slackened it?

Offline mattp244

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »
Hi Guys,

So you actual removed the T20 bolt not slackened it?

Yeah, it came out, the cylinder was not really loosening as I undid it though, I did manage to get the bolt back in, but the cylinder doesn't loosen, If I have busted it is there anyway of getting it out?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:49 pm »
The bolt is pushing a metal retaining ring around to a position to allow the barrel blank to be removed - it's common if the bolt is fully removed the ring drops off and the barrel falls out but in your case not so - did you hear the ring drop inside the door? If so its just the rubber gasket keeping it in place.

When you go back too it loosen the bolt five full turns and wiggle the blank whistle loosening the bolt a bit further each time and you may realign the ring to allow the barrel removal!

When it's apart you'll see what I mean - just reassemble before reinstalling after the lock module replacement.

Offline mattp244

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »
To further update, I tried removing the barrel again today using the advice provided, it's definitely wedged in there somehow! it refuses to even budge at all when loosening the retaining bolt.

My guess is that I've somehow damaged the mechanism that secures it in place when the bolt came out initially.

So frustrating as the rest of the job looks so straight forward and saves a massive amount of money!