Make a donation

Author Topic: **HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement **Photos Fixed**  (Read 81264 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
**HOW TO**: Door lock module replacement **Photos Fixed**
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »
Well I had to replace one on mine yesterday and a couple of people asked if I had a guide. So I have been out again today to re-do the work to get some photo's and write a guide for anyone that may need it  :happy2:

Tools Required – Torx T20, Torx T30, Small Flathead Screwdriver, M6 12-point spline bit, bit holder and ratchet.

Time taken – Will probably take 1hr 30mins on your first go.

Before you start make sure you have a new lock module to fit. Either brand new from the dealers which will set you back over £100 or they can be picked up off eBay for around £30 but you run the risk of buying another dud.

This guide is to show you how to change the door lock module on a MK5 Golf. This method can be used for both front and rear doors and is presuming you can also get the door open which you will need to do. If like mine did the first time and the door has deadlocked shut, you best hope and pray some firm banging and a bit of luck are on your side.

If this is the case, I wound the window down and gave the outer door skin a few firm bangs with the bottom of my fist in the area where the module is. After this I repeatedly pressed the unlock button on the key whilst pulling the interior handle. After about 10 mins of different combinations of banging, pulling and unlocking the door opened. When doing this you will find that at some point when pressing unlock on the key fob it will stop working. I think the motors have a thermal trip but this will automatically reset after a minute or so and you can carry on.

Now it’s open DO NOT CLOSE IT AGAIN!!

Start by removing the black rubber strip down the edge of the door. This is held on by small plastic clips. Pull gently starting from the top working your way down. It may leave a couple in the door which you need to remove and then refit to the strip.

Clips refitted.

Behind this you will see a circular piece of silver or clear tape which is covering a hole. Remove this and inside you will see a torx head bolt. Using a T20 torx bit, loosen as far as it will go. It won’t fall out.

With this done, pull the door handle and the lock barrel/blank should pull from the door.

Look into the handle and you will see a small black clip attached to the end of a cable. Note its position within the handle I.E how many grooves are showing then flick out with a small flat screwdriver.

Once the cable is free, pull the door handle sideways into the space wear the lock barrel/blank was and then remove by pulling away from the door. The front end of the handle should feed through the door skin.

Undo the Torx screw (T20) that was behind the handle.

Now start undoing the retaining bolts (T30) that hold the door skin on. Lay them out so you know where they came from as they are not all the same. Same are smaller than others and some have a thick washer on them.
There are some down both sides and underneath. Also if doing the rear doors there is one hiding behind the rubber gaiter that the cables go through.

Screws laid out. Starting from left to right - Outside of door, underneath and inside of door. You can see the differences between them.

Once all the bolts are removed you can now remove the skin. It shouldn’t fall off but I leave one bolt in until I know I have got a good grip on it then remove it just in case. If doing the rear doors, opening the front give you a bit more room. Once the skin is off, lay it down or stand it against something so that you won’t scratch the paint. And yes I know its filty  :signLOL:

You should now be able to see inside the door. The next thing that needs to be removed is this contraption.

It fits into the slots top and bottom and held by a small coloured elastic band.

Make sure that the mechanism is in the position shown before refitting.

You can now start to remove the mechanism. I prise off the white cover first but I don’t think it is necessary but gives you a bit more room. Do this with the window up. Undo the 2 M6 12-point spline bolts which hold the module to the door. Release the module by pulling up slightly. There is a small metal tab that sticks out which it hangs on.

View of the metal tab.

Turn the module round so you can see the back. Disconnect the electrical plug. Then push the lever on the lock mechanism which will give you some slack on the cable and release the lug.

You should now have the lock module free.

With the new one you may need to transfer over the small cable which fastens into the door handle. This is done by pulling the mechanism forward and then twisting the black plastic bit 90 degrees. You should see it has a flat on it, allowing it to slide out.

As the old saying goes, refitting is the reverse of removal. When screwing in the T20 screw through the hole, as you do it, it will probably bang. This is the mechanism taking up the slack on the cable and is normal.

TIPS:
Fit the module and try opening, closing and locking with the window down and door skin off. Will save you time having to take it all apart again if it does not work. It doesn't matter if the handle is not connected. You can just pull the little cable.

When fastening up the bolts for the new lock module, all I do is line up the heads where they originally left marks in the paint. This should make sure it’s roughly back in the same place.

The new lock module should not need recoding with VCDS unless you have door exit warning lights or illuminated door triggers fitted.

Hope this helps a few of you out as I know this is quite common.

Mods - Might be worth making this a sticky  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:57:24 pm by Matto »

Offline holepunch

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: How To: Door lock module replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this up.  My drivers door module is on the way out and I need to replace it ASAP!!!

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:41 pm »
Wowza!

Brillant write up and really well annotated.

Now can anyone do one to illustrate rear window change - tinted to privacy glass?!

Matto, you've set the standard with this 'How To'.  Perhaps Haynes is looking for a staff writer!

PR

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:16 pm »
You're a star!   :pomppomp:

Are the lock modules same for front and rear?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Re: How To: Door lock module replacement
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 08:10:00 pm »
Good write up with good pics, done this a couple of times for people,  quite easy really when u know how.
Glad its all working OK now.
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:39 pm »
Thanks for the comments.

Stealth - I believe the front and rears are different. I can have a look at ETKA later and then add the part numbers to the write up  :happy2:

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »
You're a star!   :pomppomp:

Are the lock modules same for front and rear?

You can do yours yourself now Jaz!!!  :evilgrin:
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 09:54:07 pm »
You can do yours yourself now Jaz!!!  :evilgrin:
:surprised:

Still need someone to sort my brakes out.  :P

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:51:21 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... My passenger lock mech needs changing and the guide above is perfect, however I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. The screw that sits behind the circular tape is being very stubborn... I can't remove/loosen this screw... Well not entirely true I can turn it as if to loosen however it just turns and will not release the barrel module which means I can't remove the door handle or take off the outer door skin.
I did remove the other screws hoping that I could get a bit of space to get behind and somehow loosen but with no luck. I haven't removed any of the interior cards to see if I can get at it that way.... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »
Right, managed to get this sorted. Feck knows how, given that for the past six months, my right rear door wouldn't open. No hesitant period. Just stopped working one day. Turned up to the MOT station today, gave the keys to the tester who promptly opened all four doors. Since then, went to AKS and got the module replaced.

A couple of things need to be mentioned:

- you really do need to remove the plastic white cover
- the "contraption" thing that's held in by a rubber band has been revised. My original one had a break in the plastic bit in the middle somewhere. On the revised version, this has been reinforced
- if you have to replace the "contraption", you either need a new lock barrel cover thing, or you need to nick a metal C-shaped collar from the old contraption and swap it over.

I'm sure Alex will post up anything I've missed but this took something like 3-4 hours to do because of trial and error of finding out what the problem was at each stage.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
Glad you finally got it sorted  :happy2:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:37 pm »
Jeezus wept... this took me hours today....

Couldnt get the barrel lock out.... lost the M6 spline  (after taking everthing apart) went to motor mart for a replacement twice as I left my wallet at home... several bits were a pain in the a$$ but replaced the offending item and all seems to be good....

thanks for the advice...

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 12:36:31 am »
Just seen this Matt. Great How-to. Thanks for your time and effort buddy  :congrats: :notworthy:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »
You couldn't wish for a better How To  :happy2:  :notworthy:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 05:19:03 pm »
Just seen this Matt. Great How-to. Thanks for your time and effort buddy  :congrats: :notworthy:

You couldn't wish for a better How To  :happy2:  :notworthy:

Thanks a lot. This wasn't actually when I changed the lock unit. I did that the day before then kicked myself that I didn't take the opportunity to take photos. So thought I'd do the job again as I knew I could do it in around an hour and made sure I got photos just so I could put the guide together  :happy2: