Make a donation

Author Topic: THS Intercooler for the TFSI  (Read 19796 times)

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
Re: THS Intercooler for the TFSI
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 09:42:43 pm »
i have this one on my car with the forge twin cooler pipes and seems to work a treat, not bad for £250 + price of the twin cooler pipes of forge  :happy2: , http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-GTI-MK5-FSI-2-0T-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-KIT_W0QQitemZ270402724896QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ef5422420&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

how much bigger is this than the Twintercooler Got any pics of the front of the car ?

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 09:48:46 pm »
has anyone also heard about the new forge cold side induction for the 2.0t fsi, it is a twin induction kit and gave 15bhp on there test car, looks like a good piece of kit, is currently in the making at the mo but as soon as it is out i shall be having one of them,

The only forge one i have heard about is  based on the TSI one

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 09:38:52 am »
how much bigger is this than the Twintercooler Got any pics of the front of the car ?

I am running the same FMIC, Managed to pick the full kit up on auction for £80 brand new.

Here are the pics.

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 05:43:55 pm »
has anyone also heard about the new forge cold side induction for the 2.0t fsi, it is a twin induction kit and gave 15bhp on there test car, looks like a good piece of kit, is currently in the making at the mo but as soon as it is out i shall be having one of them,

The only forge one i have heard about is  based on the TSI one

i think it is similar to that air box in same place , and a extra filter down in the wing, they tested with one filter and gained 5bhp, when they used there 2 they gained 15bhp, i will defo be buying one

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

I am running the same FMIC, Managed to pick the full kit up on auction for £80 brand new.

Here are the pics.

bargain, get the twin cooler pipes on there if u can get them of forge, as it will be running hotter now then it was, as the standard intercooler is quite good, when forge testd intercooler's to go on the car they found that it actually lost bhp and got a lot hotter with a FMIC, and gained a few bhp with the twin cooler

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 09:22:02 am »
But wont it introduce more lag to the system? Surely where the intercooler is positioned will mean colder intake temps, Certainly has made the car perform better.

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 04:00:38 pm »
But wont it introduce more lag to the system? Surely where the intercooler is positioned will mean colder intake temps, Certainly has made the car perform better.

it didnt make my car any more laggy'er, felt like it pulled a bit harder when i put the twin cooler pipes on it, when i first installed it i didnt notice anything!!!! you gotta remember the intercooler is sat in front of the radiator so it will be drawing hot air in!! hence why i went for the twin cooler pipes as its now running standard intercooler and cheapy intercooler

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 04:32:27 pm »
Did you buy you twin cooler pipes from forge? How much did you pay?

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 02:04:05 pm »
Im not too sure if any of you have read the reports of those cheap ebay intercoolers over on golfmkv.com but it does not look good - issues with installing and quality of product -

its a copy of the forge but they use a different core which looks as cheap as chips, and I doubt will give you very much gain what so ever.

you get what you pay for, and imo its worth paying a few hundred pounds more to get a quality product which has been tested to have proven performance gains. 

each to their own but I would not touch it wih a barge pole let alone put it on a £20k plus motor
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:25 am »
Mine fit fine, Yeah for £80 i was dubious but copaired it to my brothers greddy fmic and the cores and welding looked the same. As for gain i have seen a definate improvment of boost through the rev range.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 12:10:28 pm »
its made in china and the fact people can sell for them as little as £80 speaks volumes, did you buy it from a big seller or someone who was duped into buying and then resold?

if you look in the centre of the core through the pipe inlets and compare it too the forge the difference is very noticeable.

the fact you have disconnected your stock intercooler to fit that IC is crazy, even forge themselves during testing found out that their fmic on its own did not work as well as the stock IC, that is why they came up with the twintercooler design which uses both IC's - only then did they see real improvements.

so i very much doubt you are seeing any gains apart from a placebo effect   

have a read : http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76134&highlight=ebay+fmic

good luck

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:50 pm »
That isnt the same kind as mine, Mine is similar to the neuspeed one. I actually got it off a company the went into administration.

I am not on here to argue it is supperior to the forge one because i know it is not but it really isnt as bad as you are making out.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:23:25 pm by Jaywoo-GTI »

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 11:15:21 pm »
the intercoolers we have got are not cheap crap ones as said above, and i am also running mine with the forge twin cooler pipes as well, the core is identical to the forge one's as well, it is obviously not as good as the forge twin cooler but certainly does the job!!! where do u think all the big company's get there stock from???? china/taiwan, there would be no money in it if they purchased them straight from england as the labour rate is to high in england , just because it is cheap doesnt mean it is crap!!!! they are £250 on e bay, £80 must of been bidding of e bay!!!!!  :happy2:

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 11:19:44 pm »
Im not too sure if any of you have read the reports of those cheap ebay intercoolers over on golfmkv.com but it does not look good - issues with installing and quality of product -

its a copy of the forge but they use a different core which looks as cheap as chips, and I doubt will give you very much gain what so ever.

you get what you pay for, and imo its worth paying a few hundred pounds more to get a quality product which has been tested to have proven performance gains. 

each to their own but I would not touch it wih a barge pole let alone put it on a £20k plus motor

our intercoolers are also designed for the car, not a universal intercooler so fitment is a1

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:03 am »
I wonder if this Pro Alloy IC would work on our cars seeing a S3 IC does fit...
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=74187
Without traction power is nothing!