Make a donation

Author Topic: Dowpipe upgrades - GTI  (Read 1137 times)

Offline AlexR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Dowpipe upgrades - GTI
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:05 pm »
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked a million times, BUT;

Do downpipes from any other model with similar engine to the mk5 (i.e 2.0 TFSI) fit the gti, or are they all routed slightly differently off the turbo?

I have a Milltek cat-back already, but looking at the rest of the system from turbo back. I am assuming the answer to my question will be a straight NO but thought there might be a chance that another model might fit (audi etc).

Cheers

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
Re: Dowpipe upgrades - GTI
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »
Apologies in advance if this question has been asked a million times, BUT;

Do downpipes from any other model with similar engine to the mk5 (i.e 2.0 TFSI) fit the gti, or are they all routed slightly differently off the turbo?

I have a Milltek cat-back already, but looking at the rest of the system from turbo back. I am assuming the answer to my question will be a straight NO but thought there might be a chance that another model might fit (audi etc).

Cheers

There aren't any OEM ones that will give you performance increases.  Most OEM 2.0TFSI downpipes from transverse FWD cars will bolt right up, like Audi A3's and TT's.  You'll need an aftermarket dp to get any performance benefits, 3" is usually the best with a highflow catalyst of 100 to 200 cell count.

Offline AlexR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:18:32 pm »
Keith,

Cheers for the lightning reply!

Sorry i should have worded it differently...I was browsing used systems and was just wondering if i had come across say a downpipe for an Audi 2.0 TFSI and it was going cheap, would it fit my golf?

If im in the position to buy new i will though. APR products easily coupled with Milltek? for e.g APR downpipe to Milltek section, to cat-back?

Cheers

Offline Keith@APR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 36
    • Go APR
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:41:59 pm »
Keith,

Cheers for the lightning reply!

Sorry i should have worded it differently...I was browsing used systems and was just wondering if i had come across say a downpipe for an Audi 2.0 TFSI and it was going cheap, would it fit my golf?

If im in the position to buy new i will though. APR products easily coupled with Milltek? for e.g APR downpipe to Milltek section, to cat-back?

Cheers

Most milltek dp's are the same across all 2.0 TFSi's, even their AWD ones, just check the part number on the dp before you purchase and cross reference at their website.

Our's will go all the way back to the hanger in front of the rear axles and would replace their center section.  You will need to trim some length to be able to use a reducer as I believe most milltek exhausts for MK5's are 2.75" and our DP is 3".

Offline AlexR

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »
Thanks again, much appreciated..