Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto lights - very sensitive!  (Read 4983 times)

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Auto lights - very sensitive!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »
Nope, as odd as it sounds it's neither blue or green, but just darker when you put the piece of paper inside the screen - thanks for suggestion.

Nope, the wipers don't come on either when starting up.

The more I look at it the more I'm convinced it's the sensor itself, being an early MK5 it has 6 or so visible cells in the sensor, two at 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock are twice the size of the rest, and they all more or less look squashed/like they have water on them. I think the gel pad/gasket that's designed to seperate screen from  sensor hasn't been put in, the question is has it damaged the sensor, if so it'll be bloody expensive to replace.

If anyone else has an early MK5 (latter ones have 4 cells in two distinct rows) please could you let me know if they're clear (as in clearly defined when you peer through the scree)? - Cheers

hey, do these pics help?   2005 MK5 GTI

You Sir are a gentleman and a scholar! Many thanks.

Yep, this is exactly the sensor I have (and appears to only be on early cars, the latter ones having two rows of diamond shape ones) and yours is much clearer and clearly defined. If I understand correctly the white looking sensor in the middle is the light one, the ones around the outside, including the two at 5 o'clock & 11 o'clock which are twice the size, are the wiper ones.

Can I ask have you had a new windscreen at any time?

And how sensitive are your lights, for example in shade during the middle of the day at this time of year would they come on?

I also noticed if I sprayed water on the sensor the lights would come on? Same with yours?

Not sure about the lights coming on under heavy rain. i will have to try it. but dont think they come on just spraying the sensor.
my lights are sensitive to the extent that it can be a sunny day and theyre on. do come on in shade tho. not sure what the parameters are .

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Re: Auto lights - very sensitive!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:37 am »
The function of the auto lights is all covered in the manual guys, as soon as you pop over approx 100mph on motorway they will come on and not go off till you have done about 5 mins of driving below 60 kmph.

The lights will also come on as stated after the 4th constant wipe of the windscreen wipers either in there auto mode or constant mode.

Other than that they can be a bit annoying at times when its a dark day or your going through a tunnel etc
Loads of extra's and retro fits.