Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Big Brake upgrade  (Read 20391 times)

Offline yin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 18
  • Seat Leon Cupra Tfsi Its nearly a Golf
    • Email
Re: OEM Big Brake upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:43 pm »

full kit all new  :happy2:

Mat can you let me know how much you can get replacement disks for please.

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:53 pm »
Isn't that a pic of the ATE grooved discs? They look really strange.. but apparently work well.

Most common groove pattern i've seen are :

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 02:02:25 pm »
I've been looking at this kit......wondering how it will stand up to track days?

Anyone been using this on track?

All the big brake kits sourced outside UK seem extremely expensive from the prices I've been quoted.

Wonder whether paying nearly 2k for a brake kit is worth it over this kit?

Ian
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:31 pm »
I've been looking at this kit......wondering how it will stand up to track days?

All the big brake kits sourced outside UK seem extremely expensive from the prices I've been quoted.

Ian

leave it with me as there a few more kits coming soon but its all up in the air as for price and things

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 10:49:49 pm »
Isn't that a pic of the ATE grooved discs? They look really strange.. but apparently work well.

Most common groove pattern i've seen are :

How much are these discs?

I have had the R32 set up for some time now and likes hedge says they are perfect for fast road use, bit grabby at slow speeds but for the money£205 of the bay I cant complain.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »

Ian

leave it with me as there a few more kits coming soon but its all up in the air as for price and things

Are you a dealer Matt?
I'm at Combe on the 4th for a trackday and provisionally I'm going to run EBC yellow's with Motul RB 600F fluid to tide me over on the stock 312mm set up and report back on here my findings.
I'm also running Intermediate Dunlop D01J's tyres on a completely stock set up except for the map.
I'm interested to see how it copes but I suspect big brakes and some other mods will come in the future. I'm just reluctant to spend thousands on the car after I've just spent a shed load buying it in the first place. I suspect I will only do 2-3 trackdays a year so I'm mindful of not overspending!

Ian

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 11:15:27 pm »
Not a dealer mate just know a few people lol but I am running yellow crap pads in mine with race brake fluid and they are shocking as I nearly set mine on fire  :scared: there is no feal to them at all they Just are crap, they just bite and then fade very quick and I even complained to ebc saying they are not fit for purpose and they just gave me some bull crap answer. They are coming out very soon and will be going in the bin they are a waste of money

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 06:25:04 pm »
Not a dealer mate just know a few people lol but I am running yellow crap pads in mine with race brake fluid and they are shocking as I nearly set mine on fire  :scared: there is no feal to them at all they Just are crap, they just bite and then fade very quick and I even complained to ebc saying they are not fit for purpose and they just gave me some bull crap answer. They are coming out very soon and will be going in the bin they are a waste of money

oops that don't sound promising....perhaps I'll send them back! Don't want to waste money!

Ian

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 06:38:56 pm »

I hate to say it, but I could've told you that before you put them in.  I've had previous bad experiences with EBC products, as have other people I have met over the years.  I will never use their products again.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 08:26:22 pm »

I hate to say it, but I could've told you that before you put them in.  I've had previous bad experiences with EBC products, as have other people I have met over the years.  I will never use their products again.

ditto!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 09:08:46 pm »
Cheese would be better than EBC crap. DS2500s or Mintex are the only ones I'd bother with.
Sideways yo!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:37 pm »
There are a few sets of good pads due out very soon from vwr but they are just waiting for them to turn up

Offline SteveTDCi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 09:01:53 am »
roughly how much does that brake kit work out ?

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:52 am »
roughly how much does that brake kit work out ?

The VWR big brake kit is approx £2495.

Most of the big brake kits start at £1400 plus VAT plus fitting....that's for a Brembo 1 piece GT kit.
2 Piece kits from AP/Alcon/Tarox are anything from £2200-£2800 plus vat :scared:

OE 345mm kits (R32/Cupra R) new are £580. (1piece OE calipers)

Brakes have increased dramatically since the pound v euro dilema :sad:

As for Yellow Stuff pads I will ring my supplier to see if they will substitute but I have read very positive reports all over the net hence my decision to get a set for track day use only. TT forum / Honda Type R etc etc rate them highly :surprised:

I used to run Pagid FR and blue's but they've priced themselves out of the market IMO and the blue's aren't kind to the discs.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 07:46:29 pm »
the AP 4 pot kit that RR has and the Alcon 4 pot kit can both be had for well under £2k incl VAT.