Make a donation

Author Topic: OEM Big Brake upgrade  (Read 20394 times)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
Re: OEM Big Brake upgrade
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:59 pm »
the AP 4 pot kit that RR has and the Alcon 4 pot kit can both be had for well under £2k incl VAT.

I'm negotiating a price with Tarox at mo for their 10 pot 345mm single piece kit. The beauty with this kit is you can replace the discs with OE if needed rather than their heat treated billet items which could prove useful. You can also run their Corsa pads which 'are' brilliant as I ran them on my old car which had a 6 pot 2 piece kit.

Tarox tend to give a lovely brake pedal with no travel on the pedal and the only issue I had before was cost replacement of discs.

I'm also looking at their 2 piece options. I have to say their 10 pot caliper in anodised red looks superb!
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »
I have a set of brakes coming very very soon  :grin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »
^^^ What ones have you got Mat  :party: :party: :party:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 10:46:06 pm »
^^^ What ones have you got Mat  :party: :party: :party:

:evilgrin: all i will say is they are red and have a 2 piece disc  :evilgrin:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:21 pm »
the AP 4 pot kit that RR has and the Alcon 4 pot kit can both be had for well under £2k incl VAT.

I'm negotiating a price with Tarox at mo for their 10 pot 345mm single piece kit. The beauty with this kit is you can replace the discs with OE if needed rather than their heat treated billet items which could prove useful. You can also run their Corsa pads which 'are' brilliant as I ran them on my old car which had a 6 pot 2 piece kit.

Tarox tend to give a lovely brake pedal with no travel on the pedal and the only issue I had before was cost replacement of discs.

I'm also looking at their 2 piece options. I have to say their 10 pot caliper in anodised red looks superb!

I'd take a 2 piece disc over a fancy caliper all day long.
Sideways yo!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 12:38:53 am »

I'd take a 2 piece disc over a fancy caliper all day long.

Great if you can keep replacing 2 piece discs and pads at nearly a £1000....I learnt that on my old 6 pot 2 piece kit....
It doesn't take long for the discs to start to get small surface cracking after a few hard trackdays.

One piece kits using this combo will be a very poweful set up using their 345mm billet slotted discs.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »
The OEM 345mm LC/R32/S3 upgrade was thoroughly tested at Bedford Autodrome yesterday....and yep good for the road but not as good on the track.

Then again i do have OEM pads and Fluid so prolly wasn't the ideal set up for the track.

oh well the next car will have to have some proper brakes on it then.   :laugh:

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:37 pm »
I've run 2 piece kits previously....excellent they are Tarox/Alcon/Movit etc.

The only issue I found is that after a few trackdays and cracking 'will' appear whatever kit you are using and the price of rotors can be very hefty. For example the replacent rotors on the ALCON  kit £300 a side plus VAT plus pads at £200....can be costly if you do a few days each year.

The Tarox 345mm kit on a 10 pot caliper works well and do offer flexibility on disc options.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:48 am »
Jeeze - who quoted you those prices for Alcon bits??

I picked up a set of DS2500s for £140 all in for mine, as the DS3000s I got with the kit are a bit naughty for the road... I believe you can spec DSPs now if you mainly want them for a daily.

I wonder out of curiosity how long a set of rotors last Regal and the other cars that run the same brakes in the VW Cup?
Sideways yo!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 12:32:09 am »
Jeeze - who quoted you those prices for Alcon bits??

I picked up a set of DS2500s for £140 all in for mine, as the DS3000s I got with the kit are a bit naughty for the road... I believe you can spec DSPs now if you mainly want them for a daily.

I wonder out of curiosity how long a set of rotors last Regal and the other cars that run the same brakes in the VW Cup?

Regal say a year on their race car. They quoted the disc replacement price. I agree 2 piece the best way to go it's just a financial pain to acquire the 2 piece kits and the high cost of replacement discs....just something I have considering.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 08:41:36 am »
EARS in Macclesfield are much better on Alcon spares and will knock 10% off if you ask nicely, although Regal came in much better for the BBK @ £1800 because they buy in the cheaper VXR one, and then order the bells for the Golf... I believe?

In terms of a solid disc, I'd be concerned about cooking wheel bearings etc from the heat generated - the brakes on the back aren't up to much compared with my old vented TT set up, for example, so the fronts take much more abuse than a MKIV.
Sideways yo!

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 05:45:29 pm »
EARS in Macclesfield are much better on Alcon spares and will knock 10% off if you ask nicely, although Regal came in much better for the BBK @ £1800 because they buy in the cheaper VXR one, and then order the bells for the Golf... I believe?

In terms of a solid disc, I'd be concerned about cooking wheel bearings etc from the heat generated - the brakes on the back aren't up to much compared with my old vented TT set up, for example, so the fronts take much more abuse than a MKIV.

Thanks....I'll let you know how Combe goes this weekend...Dunlop D01J's now fiited....absolutely brilliant even on the OE suspension to my pleasant surprise. Track rubber from my old MKIV...ex VW Cup Tyres that I stacked up on !!

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »
Chaps, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss solid discs, you have to be putting some serious energy into a 32 or 34mm disc to get it to warp. This is the problem with the 345mm R32 its diameter is promising for track use but at 30mm wide its not track hardy but with it being 345mm in diameter it can generate some heat especially with fast road/race pads.

I cant remember the formula but you need something like 35-45% more energy to get the same temperature increase from a (for example) 28mm wide disc as into a 32mm.

There are some 32mm wide grooved 350mm discs I've been using with 996Turbo calipers with good results......

Price..... inside of 200 quid per pair!!!!

I suppose it all depends on how much of a purist you are and whether the 20% weight saving on the disc means more than having 4-600 quid left in your pocket for a remap or an exhaust.....

I read somewhere F1 Discs are about 38mm wide to deal with the heat (Max 300mm in diameter though  :surprised:)

I'd be p1ssed off if I toasted a pair of Alcons on a track day

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08:37 pm »
I tell you what you absolutely don't want to do.... leave a pad imprint on them, have to take them off and re-finish them by hand.

That IS NOT clever.  :ashamed:
Sideways yo!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 10:30:03 pm »
Chaps, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss solid discs, you have to be putting some serious energy into a 32 or 34mm disc to get it to warp. This is the problem with the 345mm R32 its diameter is promising for track use but at 30mm wide its not track hardy but with it being 345mm in diameter it can generate some heat especially with fast road/race pads.

I cant remember the formula but you need something like 35-45% more energy to get the same temperature increase from a (for example) 28mm wide disc as into a 32mm.

There are some 32mm wide grooved 350mm discs I've been using with 996Turbo calipers with good results......

Price..... inside of 200 quid per pair!!!!

I suppose it all depends on how much of a purist you are and whether the 20% weight saving on the disc means more than having 4-600 quid left in your pocket for a remap or an exhaust.....

I read somewhere F1 Discs are about 38mm wide to deal with the heat (Max 300mm in diameter though  :surprised:)

I'd be p1ssed off if I toasted a pair of Alcons on a track day

F1 regulations - wheel must have no more than one brake disc of 278mm maximum diameter and 28mm maximum thickness. Each disc must have only one aluminium caliper, with a maximum of six circular pistons, and no more than two brake pads