Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wings  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Kontiki

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Front wings
« on: September 18, 2022, 03:05:58 pm »
Hi folks
I’ve recently bought a set of front wings from Lothian for my gti , the paint match looks good and reasonable applied, I’m thinking off adding additional protection around the inside outermost edge,possibly Shultz with a additional layer of paint on top of the Shultz.
Anyone done such a thing? Obviously I’ll be removing the scuddy piece of foam that causes the problem in the first place.

Offline Kontiki

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Re: Front wings
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 06:53:33 pm »
Removed front wings today, found this little collection!

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:30:09 pm »
That's just stage 2 of wing crud collection - you haven't got anything growing, it would be stage 3

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:26:46 am »
Honestly, I just gave everything a good clean, touched in a couple of spots of surface rust and buttoned it all back up. Removing the sponge obviously.

I think giving the front of the sill a bit of a tidy is most important. Most people will have a little bit of rust there.

Offline Freem82

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 11:25:43 am »
I actually had two plants growing behind my drivers side one, couldn't believe it lol

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 11:08:01 am »
Being as I have a flat black car, I just painted the arch lip with hammerite which is much tougher than the microscopically thin layer of factory paint.  Or you can use U-Pol Raptor or some such in stone impact areas.

Once the rot sets in, it doesn't take long for it to wipe out the wing, especially aftermarket pattern wings which don't have the factory e-coat on them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 05:57:45 pm »
Once the rot sets in, it doesn't take long for it to wipe out the wing, especially aftermarket pattern wings which don't have the factory e-coat on them.

This. I've got a set of the pre-painted pattern wings and they're already (after 2 years) more rusty than the stock wings after 15 years...except for the usual patch at the arch top. Even the paint guy said it'd make more sense to get new or good used stock arches and paint/sort those than get another set of these.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 12:27:21 pm »

This. I've got a set of the pre-painted pattern wings and they're already (after 2 years) more rusty than the stock wings after 15 years...except for the usual patch at the arch top. Even the paint guy said it'd make more sense to get new or good used stock arches and paint/sort those than get another set of these.

I'd rather buy professionally painted genuine wings than have to replace pattern ones every few years.  The Lothian ones are convenient though I guess, and I suspect what a lot of people use when selling the car on.

Offline Kontiki

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 07:18:50 pm »
I know what you mean on the Lothian wings , the paint is very thin especially on the sharp

Edges , I’ve masked these up and hit them with white stone chip . After I’ve fitted them I’m going to brush wax oil all round the inside edges before I refit the arch liners .

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 03:55:52 pm »
I've got two new genuine wings to fit but the cost of getting them painted is crazy. Two pairs of Lothian ones would be cheaper than getting new genuine ones painted.

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2022, 07:20:22 pm »
Genuine pre-painted wings are not that expensive vw fitted them to mine and you really couldn’t tell unless you had a magnifying glass

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 08:15:03 am »
I was lucky to find a couple of late genuine wings in perfect condition and colour at the local car breakers for £35 each a few years back......I was like  :jumping:  :grin:
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 09:35:46 am »
Genuine pre-painted wings are not that expensive vw fitted them to mine and you really couldn’t tell unless you had a magnifying glass

I thought they came in primer only?

Offline amanda

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 11:05:01 am »
Hmmmmmm I was told they were pre painted so I don’t know all I know is, car was only in for a day