Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake Questions  (Read 9697 times)

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • NEVER GROW UP
Intake Questions
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:34:43 pm »
Oh well here goes. I'm standing at the top of the slippery slope and I'm losing my grip.  :scared:

I'm considering changing my air intake / filter and need some advice.

What is concidered the best option for a std GTi with DSG ? ( No Zorst upgrade ) Yet  :confused:
What performance increase should I expect?
If I'm going for just a replacement Element, what are the benefits of a complete induction kit ( Pipercross Viper / Carbonio or similar )
Does anything need doing to the ECU ( Map ) if I fit this myself? or is it "Self adjusting"  :ashamed: Skooz my ignorance.
I'm on a tight budget at the moment and don't want to spend over £200. ( I know I'll get tempted to something more than a K&N panel ).
Any comments would be much appreciated guys. Go easy on me please as I'm terified of the long drop I see before me.  :scared:

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Intake Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:46:46 pm »
Strap a parachute on while your at it!  :signLOL:

May as well enjoy the descent!  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:27:24 pm »

....There are quite a few to choose from, including two new ones which are close to being launched.

I would bide your time and take your time over the decision. It also depends what you wish to achieve longer term. For example, an air intake is better exploited in combination with a performance exhaust and remap. You see how slippery that slope is!!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:35:25 pm »
Oh Dear ... Oh Dear, Oh Dear .....  Iv'e just been looking on the Superchips Website....... I really shouldn't have done that.  :scared: I can see my piggy bank is gonna get raided  :rolleye: Correct me if I'm wrong but would it not be better to go for a re-map first, then an intake, then an exhaust? If I go that route, does the Superchips software have to be recalibtrated for the other mods?..... aaawwwww  noooo, Iv'e done it now.. I'm talking about mods..  :scared: Where's my grippy shoes?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:47:22 pm »

Well it probably is less important if the remap is generic (which I think most of Superchips are - Bluefin?) but if getting a Revo or other remap it's considered best practice to install your exhaust and intake mods first. It's not critical but more settling.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:36:39 pm »
Bluefin first then once the exhaust is fitted Superchips will send you the appropriate map!  :wink:

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:45:57 am »
Thanks for suggesting I contact Jamie, Nathan. I'll be ringing Superchips today to do a deal on a Stage 1  :grin:
I’ve been deliberately avoiding all the threads about re-mapping up until yesterday when the vortex that is the Bluefin thread sucked me in for almost 3 hours.  I’m about 6 feet from the top of the slippery slope and my left foot is lodged on a K&N panel filter. Trouble is if I reach down and grab it I will fall another 10 feet and land painfully on a "Cat Back Milly" that’s sticking out from the edge and ready to catch me by the wallet…
Must cling on… need more grip… resist…. RESIST…….    :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:35:38 am »

I’m about 6 feet from the top of the slippery slope and my left foot is lodged on a K&N panel filter. Trouble is if I reach down and grab it I will fall another 10 feet and land painfully on a "Cat Back Milly" that’s sticking out from the edge and ready to catch me by the wallet…

Must cling on… need more grip… resist…. RESIST…….    :scared:

....I can help you with a suggestion of a mod which may improve your 'grip' but not your grip on reality:

It's an alien spaceship and its occupants communicate via telepathy: Modify! Modify! Modify! Resistence is useless!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:52 am »
I'm fairly sure VWR run most of their cars on an uprated panel filter in the standard airbox, however this may be down to regs? They certainly don't seem to suffer because of it.

Carbonios and like are just engine bling, an induction kit with a decent sealed airbox is the way to go. I run a Pipercross panel on stage 2 and it's fine, I tried a friend's carbon bling for a few days, pointless.

I also have Jonny's old intake. I ran that for a couple of days and it makes a good difference to the mid-top end, I went back to stock just to prove to myself it wasn't just the placebo effect and I noticed the drop off instantly. I'm just waiting on it to be slightly modified to run a 3" ITG foamy and it'll be rocking the Inter's strip!.

A DP however makes a HUGE difference, there's no point ramming more air in if you can't get rid of it fast enough too.
Sideways yo!

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:54:04 am »
Oooh, those Alien's are really Quaife quite clever. Thats very different technology to ours.  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 11:17:30 am »
Oooh, those Alien's are really Quaife quite clever. Thats very different technology to ours.  :scared:

:signLOL: Excellent! :laugh: :happy2:

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:53 pm »
The deed is done. Bluefin Stage 1 will be with me tomorrow   :jumpmove:
My reasons for going down this route first are covert. My good lady wife doesn't need to know about this  :ashamed:

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:34:32 pm »
....There are quite a few to choose from, including two new ones which are close to being launched.

I would bide your time and take your time over the decision.

Were you refering to this as one of them Robin?

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/carbon-speed-cold-air-intake-golf-5-20t-fsi-1003-p-2870.html

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 12:35:03 pm »
 :signLOL: secret modding!!
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline mixit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • NEVER GROW UP
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »
:signLOL: secret modding!!

Shameful really as she wouldn't give me a hard time over it. Its just there's loads of things she'd rather see us spend money on right now.  :embarrassed: