Make a donation

Author Topic: "STOP - CHECK COOLANT" - How to change the bottle.  (Read 1748 times)

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
"STOP - CHECK COOLANT" - How to change the bottle.
« on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:46 am »
Hi all,

The "STOP - CHECK COOLANT" has been coming on lately when I start the car in the morning. Naturally I've checked if the coolant is at the correct level, and it is. If I turn the engine off and restart it goes out and stays out. Only seems to happen in the morning first thing.

Outside temp is currently not at freezing so leads me to believe it's the sensor in the coolant expansion tank.

As I understand it, this means replacing the whole tank (rather than just the sensor)? Also how would I do that without spilling the coolant all over the engine and electrics?

Offline AnSGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 2
  • 2012 GTI Edition 35
Re: "STOP - CHECK COOLANT" - How to change the bottle.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:11:06 pm »
Take the cap off when the engine is cold and scratch the metal prongs with a flat bladed screw driver to clean the of muck. I had this exact issue on my old MKIV golf, I did this and it cured it.

I ended up replacing the tank a few months later but never got the fault again after scratching the prongs. To extract the coolant you could use a turkey baster (or something similar) until the tank is empty then undo the metal clips and swap over, refilling with coolant again afterwards.

Offline danfalcon

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92069.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »
not to sure about the sensor part

but as for draining the coolant, the easiest way i always use is to find the lowest point in the cooling system and disconnect one of the pipes with a suitable receptacle under it

this will drain the whole system rather that just the tank so will require more filling afterwards, but in my experience it is much faster and easier  :happy2:

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 02:46:44 pm »
not to sure about the sensor part

but as for draining the coolant, the easiest way i always use is to find the lowest point in the cooling system and disconnect one of the pipes with a suitable receptacle under it

this will drain the whole system rather that just the tank so will require more filling afterwards, but in my experience it is much faster and easier  :happy2:

X2  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !