Make a donation

Author Topic: New coil packs affect remap?  (Read 2290 times)

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
New coil packs affect remap?
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »
I have a Blufin stage 1 on my GTI.  A few months back I got all 4 coil packs changed under warranty.  When leaving the garage there were a heaps more whooshing noises etc and I wasn't convinced the car still felt as pokey as before.
Would the VW techs have installed a latest revision of factory software as well, potentially interfering with the Superchips data?

Cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: New coil packs affect remap?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 05:11:44 pm »
If VW techs had reflashed your ECU with a software update they would have been obliged to inform you and it should be stated on the paperwork.

Such a flash would definitely wipe your aftermarket remap but VW haven't released a ECU update for not months but years!

If you had the coilpacks changed "a few months back" and "wasn't convinced the car still felt as pokey as before" why on earth have you left the matter so long until now?  :confused:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »
Robin, thanks for confirming that.  I did not get any paperwork after the job was complete, and on that day i was in a hurry so never even thought to question it.

As for not speaking up before now.  I work away for more than half the year, so when I am at home I have plenty on.  I am away from home just now and have some spare time to follow a few things up, including this.  The car has been running perfectly, so it's not been a huge concern, but thought i'd see if anyone else had experienced similar thoughts after a coilpack change.  I am possibly just getting used to the extra punch from the remap and had that placebo effect of "just been to the garage, does the car feel different?".

Thanks,

Stuart

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »
Hi Stuart, now I understand why you didn't chase it up.

I experienced no change when 2 of my coilpacks were replaced under VW's fairly recent 'recall'. Some folks have reported that their car felt slightly 'sharper' but nothing substantial and certainly no reports whatsoever of feeling sluggish after new coilpacks.

You being away a lot and coming back to your car probably doesn't help your assessment of changes as you can perhaps forget what you car is like.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »
The way to find out would be to reconnect the bluefin handset and see if it still recognises the ecu.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Itsagthing

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 07:53:14 pm »
Some techs in dealers will scan your car see the update flashes, flash it and not bother writing it down on the job card so the service advisor will not write it down on the invoice as he/she will not know. :happy2: seen it many of times so maybe worth checking your map.