Make a donation

Author Topic: 'Italian' Air Horns....  (Read 23031 times)

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
Re: 'Italian' Air Horns....
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:36 pm »
Red,

Your McLaren esque ally ramps look rather cool, presume it's for getting low red machines into slightly inclined ingress garages.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »
Red,

Your McLaren esque ally ramps look rather cool, presume it's for getting low red machines into slightly inclined ingress garages.

....Exactly that! I can't take them with me into multi storey car parks though. My neighbours don't really understand  :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

h4rdy

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »
Robin when you say the extra horn only adds 3db, did you know its a sliding scale and 1db can, for example, double the volume?

I am sure you do know being a music man but thought I'd let other folks know.

I might be exaggerating a bit with double at 1db but you get my drift?

On my Split Bus I had a klaxon which suited the classic style.

Good write up but I am not sure about air horns on the golf, maybe on an American car, dukes of hazard stylee!

Again IMHO!

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
Nice write up RR but IMO the sound is awful from those kits.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 12:28:46 am »
Your horn sounds like its got asthma!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:44 am »

Nice write up RR but IMO the sound is awful from those kits.

....I don't think the kit sounds as good as it could do but I don't find them awful. However, I respect the honesty of your opinion  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
Only found this out the other day, but you're not allowed to sound your horn unless you're in danger  :confused:
The coppers pulled me over for honking at a guy in front of me that was blocking the traffic, and he had loads of room to do his right turn.
They told me they could have fined me - the world has gone mad!!!  :fighting:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:13 pm »

Only found this out the other day, but you're not allowed to sound your horn unless you're in danger  :confused:
The coppers pulled me over for honking at a guy in front of me that was blocking the traffic, and he had loads of room to do his right turn.
They told me they could have fined me - the world has gone mad!!!  :fighting:

....Well yes, the world has gone mad! But what I understand is as follows:

- Use of the horn while stationary, at night in a residential area, or in an aggressive manner is against the Highway Code.
It says motorists should beep their horns only "while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence". < Which is essentially what I wrote in my review.

- The horn should not be used while stationary on the road or when driving in a built-up area between 11:30pm and 7:00am "except when another vehicle poses a danger".
Although breaching the code is not a criminal offence, many of its guidelines refer to legal requirements, and the instructions on using the horn is one of them.

- Improper use of the horn is contrary to regulation 99 (1) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 42 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988'.

- For what he judges to be improper use, a Police Officer can issue a motorist caught breaking the law with a £30 fixed penalty notice.
Drivers can challenge the decision at court, but if magistrates agree with the police they can increase the fine to up to £1,000 < That's not the practice of fair justice in my opinion.

Perhaps the Policeman (more than one?) took the view that your "honking at a guy in front of you" was aggressive and also because your car was stationary. I'm not trying to suggest that you were in the wrong - Personally I think use of the horn (for everyone else except myself) is a matter of common sense and it's good that the Police didn't issue you with a penalty.

Did they explain the details of the law which you appear to have broken?

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »
The policeman explained the rules then promptly started to ask me questions about my car and what mods I had.  It turned out he had an S3 as well and was planning on going stage 1 in the near future.
Personally I think he pulled me over for that reason rather than the horn honking  :signLOL:
He even said if he had enough time he'd have asked me to take him around the block  :rolleye:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »
^^^^
Sounds like he was a good guy and used his discretion sensibly  :happy2:

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:27 pm »
Great write up again Robin.  Seen this one?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »
^^^^
That cyclist with air horns is most definitely illegal, JJ!!

Looks like my old haunts of The King's Road, Chelsea, at the Sloane Square end. 13 years ago since I left London now and it seems like only last month.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:03 pm »

Your horn sounds like its got asthma!!

....I'm wondering if shortening the hose between compressor and trumpets would help that. There's plenty there:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gg20neptpo4hi6c3d8b0crc42n&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:43 pm »
I would say so robin...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »

I would say so robin...

....Of course you are drawing from your experience of blowing down a particularly long horn called a trombone  :grin:

I've got plenty of spare hose from the new kit and so can afford to give it a go. And if it doesn't work, I'll blame you!  :happy2: