All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Gearshift Problem....

<< < (6/22) > >>

Greeners:

--- Quote from: markymark on June 15, 2009, 02:19:48 pm ---
--- Quote from: Greenouse on June 15, 2009, 02:18:29 pm ---Well I for one hope there isn't a problem with it as were off to the Ring in a few days!  :scared:

--- End quote ---

I think you best add this to the essential items list for the ring! :chicken:

--- End quote ---

Yep was thinking that!  :wink:

SteveP:
^^^ Defo bring the original with you just in case  :happy2:

I did ask Mark @ VWR about this difference in the shifters and he wasn't aware of anything, we compaired the ones taken off of MarkyMark's car (an 07 model I believe) and Greenouse's car and they where exactly the same.   :confused:

CocoPops:

--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on June 15, 2009, 02:17:16 pm ---What model year is your car Lee?

VW changed the design of the shifters very slightly for MY08 vehicles, resulting in any short-shifters designed for the VW 6-speed box up until this date to not work properly. Perhaps VWR are unaware of this? The only explanation that I can think of...

--- End quote ---

It's an 08 Ed30 Chris.

I did raise this with Mark @ VWR and he said it was fine?
It now looks like it isn't :(

I think I'm missing a small plastic cap of of the sideside bracket now too...
Like the little white piece in Matt's pics. I think the Chamfered edges of the channel cause it to pop free.
On the standard shift bracket, the edges are squared, not triangulated.

CocoPops:
So in Matt's pic...


I've drawn (badly) the standard length channel.... you can see that the new channel is shorter...
Thus the sideside bracket pin drops out of the end of the channel!!!
The white plastic piece (now missing) would have prevented it slightly... but now it's gone it consistently fell out of the channel.

So...
I am summising that the channel is too short, which put undue load on the plastic clip which then fell out and compounded the problem.

Make sense?

WhiteGTI:

--- Quote from: CocoPops on June 15, 2009, 02:23:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: WhiteGTI on June 15, 2009, 02:17:16 pm ---What model year is your car Lee?

VW changed the design of the shifters very slightly for MY08 vehicles, resulting in any short-shifters designed for the VW 6-speed box up until this date to not work properly. Perhaps VWR are unaware of this? The only explanation that I can think of...

--- End quote ---

It's an 08 Ed30 Chris.

I did raise this with Mark @ VWR and he said it was fine?
It now looks like it isn't :(

I think I'm missing a small plastic cap of of the sideside bracket now too...
Like the little white piece in Matt's pics. I think the Chamfered edges of the channel cause it to pop free.
On the standard shift bracket, the edges are squared, not triangulated.

--- End quote ---

Exactly the same happened with me. Also on mine, the side-side arm managed to jump above the front-back arm and was sat on-top of it (dont ask how!). After speaking to Forge about it, they said it is because of the VW redesign. It has taken them the best part of 1 year to re-design a new short-shifter, and it should be available in about two weeks. Not meaning for this to be a plug for Forge, but I just wanted to demonstrate the action that they have taken in this situation.

I don't know if VWR have managed to design a shifter that works with both 08MY and older MY cars, but it is strange to hear from Steve that there were no visible differences between the two shifters.  :confused: :confused:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version