Make a donation

Author Topic: Most suitable/Best oil?  (Read 89015 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: Most suitable/Best oil?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 10:14:04 pm »
Every 7k-10k seems logical.
You mention ' Castrol LongLife', is this the stuff?

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-713-castrol-edge-5w-30-for-modern-engines.aspx
Do they only do 5L containers when offers are on?

I assume once the oil has settled and added to the small amount of residue, is 4 litres enough as Haynes advises 4.6 Litres?

Cheers lads,
Pete.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:15:51 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 12:10:40 pm »
Just a quickie

A May 05 GTI 50K T&D VW services from new...

Do you recommend engine flush at this age?  Hear both sides of the coin all the time.  Sludge etc can cause blockages when "dissolved"/shifted by the flush or the flush gets rid of the impurities which can't be a bad thing.

Plan on doing oil changes every six months or so spring & autumn.  Spring one yo get rid of the moisture etc after cold winter starts and cold running.

Any advice?

Cheers

Lee
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 03:54:53 pm »
Anything with VW 504.00 or 507.00 on the label.

Hmmmm . . .  not really.  There some shyte 504 oils, and there are some excellent 504 oils.  And then there are oils which lie - ie claim to be 504 approved, but are not!

This is the spec for all VW engines now.

Yup, shame the VW stealers seem to forget this though! :scared:

I personally use Fuchs oil as its the OE oil from the factory and its reasonably priced.

Where do you get the Fuchs from?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 03:58:06 pm »
Guys,

On this note, can I use a comma (cheaper) fully synthetic equivalent 5w30 oil, or must I use big brand stuff (Castrol/Mobil1)?

I assume this has to be fully synthetic?
Will I notice substantial performance decreases if I buy Comma stuff?

Do NOT use Comma stuff, EVER.  It is shyte oil, it does NOT meet the required VW standard (dispite their website claiming it does), and it is so shyte, they lost one of their major (for them) manufacturer recommendations.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 04:07:32 pm »

OK, for a GTI, the MINIMUM should be every year or 10k miles - ie Time and Distance regime - but still using the LL oils.  However, if the car has been modified, or you drive it hard - then half the above - change the oil every six months or 5k miles.

But you must make sure it is the 'correct' LongLife oil.  A BMW or Vauxhall LongLife oil will be no good in a VW, and vice versa.  So the oil must be approved by Volkswagen (and 'approved' is the crucial wording) to meet 504.00 standard.

Yeah, that is the correct stuff.  The Castrol 'EDGE' branding is for the 'consumer' market, ie, the stuff you can buy at Halfrauds, petrol stations, Tescos etc - whereas the Castrol 'Powerflow SLX' are the 'professional' branding.  Both oils are the same.

I assume once the oil has settled and added to the small amount of residue, is 4 litres enough as Haynes advises 4.6 Litres?

I take it that was a typo!  Castrol EDGE is only sold in one litre and four litre packs, so for the GTI, you will need either a 4 and a 1, or just get a couple of 4s, and you can use the rest for topping up.

HTH :happy2:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 04:11:29 pm »
Just a quickie

Do you know what spec oil was used?

Do you recommend engine flush at this age?  Hear both sides of the coin all the time.  Sludge etc can cause blockages when "dissolved"/shifted by the flush or the flush gets rid of the impurities which can't be a bad thing.

Flushing oil is generally NOT needed.  Modern high quality oils have enough detergents and dispersants in them not to cause any sludging issues.  However, if some cheap, non-fully synthetic oil has been used in a turbo engine (as the yanks seem to do), then you will get sludging.

Plan on doing oil changes every six months or so spring & autumn.  Spring one yo get rid of the moisture etc after cold winter starts and cold running.

Are you only doing short journeys?  :confused:
------

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 06:23:27 pm »

OK, for a GTI, the MINIMUM should be every year or 10k miles - ie Time and Distance regime - but still using the LL oils.  However, if the car has been modified, or you drive it hard - then half the above - change the oil every six months or 5k miles.

But you must make sure it is the 'correct' LongLife oil.  A BMW or Vauxhall LongLife oil will be no good in a VW, and vice versa.  So the oil must be approved by Volkswagen (and 'approved' is the crucial wording) to meet 504.00 standard.

Yeah, that is the correct stuff.  The Castrol 'EDGE' branding is for the 'consumer' market, ie, the stuff you can buy at Halfrauds, petrol stations, Tescos etc - whereas the Castrol 'Powerflow SLX' are the 'professional' branding.  Both oils are the same.

I take it that was a typo!  Castrol EDGE is only sold in one litre and four litre packs, so for the GTI, you will need either a 4 and a 1, or just get a couple of 4s, and you can use the rest for topping up.

HTH :happy2:

It wasn't tbh TT, as I know up to 0.5 litres can often reside in all the pipes and the sump that doesn't drain, but I was being mega optimistic there. Indeed, buying two would make sense.

Thanks for all your answers  :smiley:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:22:14 pm »
Teutonic_Tamer, Maybe you could help me? You seem to know your stuff when it comes to oil  :wink:
Do all the Dealers use the same oil? Is it always good stuff? (castrol etc) I just bought a 1lt castrol edge 5-30w today for a top-up, but after reading this i might get an oil-filter change from the dealer ( price dependent ). I had my 1st longlife service last march and the car had 16k miles on it. Its now got 21k. Is it wise to change the oil/filter? The next service seems a long way away? Also should i be changing from longlife servicing to the other type? (i forget what its called) I dont do a great lot of miles and its mainly pottering about! :driver:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 03:53:06 pm »
Just a quickie

Nope - just says OIL or Castrol oil on the service invoices.

Flushing oil is generally NOT needed.  Modern high quality oils have enough detergents and dispersants in them not to cause any sludging issues.  However, if some cheap, non-fully synthetic oil has been used in a turbo engine (as the yanks seem to do), then you will get sludging.

So can I use a flushing oil as I don't know that the correct Castrol Powerflow SLX was used?  Also the oil after just a thousand miles looks very dirty.  Either a proper service has not been done or the engine internals are VERY dirty.  I hope a flush would help clean this dirt as much as any sludge.

Still wishing to check the school of thought regarding causing more harm than good with a flush.

Quite a mixed bag of journeys.  Although a lot are short or in traffic.  -  I am from the old school before the synthetic stuff came on the market.  Since then until now I have had company cars, serviced by the company at regular intervals.  This is the first car in about 20years that I have rolled my sleeves up and had a go.  Quite enjoying the experience too, gets you away from the other half too.  :signLOL:
So 6,000 mile services were the norm on old Fords... seems I am a little out of date, but regular services surely can't harm, just a waste of beer tokens?

Thank you for your help and informed opinion.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »
Teutonic_Tamer, Maybe you could help me? You seem to know your stuff when it comes to oil  :wink:

Lubes are a bit of a passion of mine . . . or should I be admitting that on a public forum?  :evilgrin:

Do all the Dealers use the same oil?

No - they are all free to source their bulk oil supplies from any major reputable oil company - so that would mean Castrol, Fuchs, Shell, or sadly Mobil.

However, they categorically should all now only be using LongLife 3 oils - but sadly, there seems to be a shocking and blatant breach of both these requrements by many stealers!

Is it always good stuff? (castrol etc) I just bought a 1lt castrol edge 5-30w today for a top-up, but after reading this i might get an oil-filter change from the dealer ( price dependent ). I had my 1st longlife service last march and the car had 16k miles on it. Its now got 21k. Is it wise to change the oil/filter? The next service seems a long way away? Also should i be changing from longlife servicing to the other type? (i forget what its called) I dont do a great lot of miles and its mainly pottering about! :driver:

If you have a GTI, then you REALLY do need to change it from the LongLife servicing regime to the Time and Distance (T&D) one (but still continue to use the higher spec LongLife 3 oils).  So with the T&D regime, the car will next need a service either next March, or 26k miles, whichever occurs first.  So just book it in when either of those come up, and ask them to change the cars computer to T&D.

However, if your GTI is modified, or you drive it very hard (or both), then I would also recommend an additional interim oil change every 6 months or 5k miles.

HTH
------

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 08:55:50 am »

Lubes are a bit of a passion of mine . . . or should I be admitting that on a public forum?  :evilgrin:

Do all the Dealers use the same oil?

No - they are all free to source their bulk oil supplies from any major reputable oil company - so that would mean Castrol, Fuchs, Shell, or sadly Mobil.

However, they categorically should all now only be using LongLife 3 oils - but sadly, there seems to be a shocking and blatant breach of both these requrements by many stealers!

Is it always good stuff? (castrol etc) I just bought a 1lt castrol edge 5-30w today for a top-up, but after reading this i might get an oil-filter change from the dealer ( price dependent ). I had my 1st longlife service last march and the car had 16k miles on it. Its now got 21k. Is it wise to change the oil/filter? The next service seems a long way away? Also should i be changing from longlife servicing to the other type? (i forget what its called) I dont do a great lot of miles and its mainly pottering about! :driver:

If you have a GTI, then you REALLY do need to change it from the LongLife servicing regime to the Time and Distance (T&D) one (but still continue to use the higher spec LongLife 3 oils).  So with the T&D regime, the car will next need a service either next March, or 26k miles, whichever occurs first.  So just book it in when either of those come up, and ask them to change the cars computer to T&D.

However, if your GTI is modified, or you drive it very hard (or both), then I would also recommend an additional interim oil change every 6 months or 5k miles.

HTH

Thank you for the Great reply T T  :happy2: I will get it switched over to T&D and get it booked in this March(2010) or like you say at 26k. I will try and make sure they use Castrol too.
I noticed they had Shell Helix on the shelves a few weeks ago, and when I asked one of the guys in service, He told me they nearly always use Castrol for service, but it seems that the Parts Dept were selling Shell oils in the 1ltr bottles.

Thanks again!

Offline GTIforpassion

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 06:13:54 pm »
Mobil 1 forever !!   :happy2:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 10:54:26 am »
Just a quickie

Nope - just says OIL or Castrol oil on the service invoices.

So can I use a flushing oil as I don't know that the correct Castrol Powerflow SLX was used?  Also the oil after just a thousand miles looks very dirty.  Either a proper service has not been done or the engine internals are VERY dirty.  I hope a flush would help clean this dirt as much as any sludge.

Still wishing to check the school of thought regarding causing more harm than good with a flush.

Quite a mixed bag of journeys.  Although a lot are short or in traffic.  -  I am from the old school before the synthetic stuff came on the market.  Since then until now I have had company cars, serviced by the company at regular intervals.  This is the first car in about 20years that I have rolled my sleeves up and had a go.  Quite enjoying the experience too, gets you away from the other half too.  :signLOL:
So 6,000 mile services were the norm on old Fords... seems I am a little out of date, but regular services surely can't harm, just a waste of beer tokens?

Thank you for your help and informed opinion.

I would actually strongly advise against using a flushing oil.  In all honesty, flushing oils should only be used in quite specific circumstances.  Dark or even black engine oil which has previously been changed on schedule is NOT a requirement for using a flushing oil.

Onto the reasons why new oils go black very quickly (excluding those engines who use the devils fuel - diesel  :evilgrin:).  LAZY STEALERS - quite simply, incorrect oil change procedures.

Some stealers will use an oil extraction tool, which is basically a vacuum cleaner shoved down the dipstick tube - and these can NEVER extract all the old oil.  These oil extraction procedures are categorically NOT permitted by Audi, yet VW seem to tollerate them.  Engines have a sump plug for a reason, and any so called 'mechanic' or 'technician', who can't find a 19mm ring spanner to undo the sump plug just doesn't deserve to working on vehicles of any kind.  The only acceptable use of oil extraction devices are on marine engines.  Period!

Secondly, many stealers fail to actually carry out the correct procedure (even those who do use the sump plug).  On ALL engines, the oil filter MUST remain 'removed' during the duration of the drain.  Way too often, I see incompetents who first remove the oil filter, and then replace it - BEFORE removing the sump plug.  This prevents a total drain of the old oil.

Finally, oil changes really need to be done whilst the oil is hot, ideally at normal operating temperature, and certainly within a max of 30mins since turning off the engine.  If not, any 'contaminents' in the oil can fall to the bottom of not only the sump, but also any other point of the engine where oil pools (the cylinder head around the camshaft is a common) - rather than remaining in suspension.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
Mobil 1 forever !!   :happy2:
You are clearly swayed by guillible advertising, rather than actual engineering!
------

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:22 am »
After doing a bit of research, I found this post particularly useful :

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=65779.0

I've decided to continue running the Castrol SLX Powerflow Longlife III SAE 5W-30 50400/5070 oil but have now changed from Longlife service interval to fixed Distance&Time @ every 15,000 KMs.

Glad my nuggets of info are getting noticed! :happy2:

Very interesting read TT, can I ask a simple question which I have never been able to find the answer too?  Using VCDS I looked at the servicing and oil quality reading from my car which from memory was "2" but no where can I find on what scale, is it 1-10 or 1-5 and if so does it start at 0 when refreshed or new, and if so do you have a recommendation, or advice on at what value a refresh should be considered (outside of your existing recomendations)????  :smiley:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.