Make a donation

Author Topic: Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - no. 1387 - Revo Stage 1  (Read 37308 times)

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - no. 1387 - Revo Stage 1
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:00 pm »
Hello all,

Firstly, thanks for a great welcome in the new members section - will get back to everyone there. Felt it was important to post up here in members rides pretty quick - spent too many years lurking in ukmkivs.net before I started sharing what I was up to with my previous car.

So, after the untimely 'death by 1-series' of my cherished mkiv, I started thinking about what to replace it with. My head thought about the 170 DPF diesels, but my heart thought against it. Would have loved an R32, but didn't realise how agressive the tax bands had become!

In the end, I thought about a mk5 gti - too much choice, and then thought lets go the full hog and go for an Edition 30, as that would have the bits on it from standard to keep me happy, whereas I modded my mkiv so far I should have bought a 25th or R32!

Sorry for what is turning to an essay, but I tried a Pirelli 5dr at Oxford VW - liked the car, but one of the doors wasn't working, and given the number of times I replaced the locks on my mkiv I took that as an omen. Plus the salesman wouldn't move on price by more than £100-£200 (last week they dropped it by £1k, haha!).

Went on to look at an Edition 30 at Cardiff VW - was advertised as a manual (came up as a DSG on the HPI, so was slightly disappointed), but wanted to look anyway. Turned up there on the Saturday and it had just come in in part-ex the evening before. Properly grubby, but I was happy to look through that before any correction work took place.
Loved the DSG on the test drive, plus had Xenons, and colour I wanted, so was reasonably happy with the price vs. mileage (47k). Obviously I paid some dealer premium in there, but history was good (cambelt, DSG service, etc only 5k ago, and they'd service it again for me).

Diiirty...;

Collected it last Saturday, and wary of dealer prep, it actually looked quite good. Wheels refurbs are ok, but look like face only jobs (will sort). Before collection I'd already bought new wipers, centre caps, and these will be fitted soon to get the overall condition up further.
Pics of the Eddy back home after a nice cruise from Wales in last Saturday's sunshine;

Am sure you've seen similar Steel grey's to this before, so not amazing. Still, seems a great car to me. Loving the Xenons, DSG, and effortless power, even after my K04-0
23'd mkiv.

Sooo, I know I said I wouldn't mod, so first bought items have been consumables. Most important to me is to get rid of these deathtraps on the front;

Linglongs...jeez - these are being replaced this weekend...

Only other plans at the mo are to fit a Polo stubby aerial I have left from my old mkiv parts stash, and want some open front grills.
Also have a better headunit to fit - Kenwood DNX520 thing, as the posts about RNS510s, and modules screwed with my head... :confused: I'm used to plug n' play - I will adapt, but may take a little time whilst I learn the way the mkv works! Different world to the mkiv (RIP!).

Plan to have APS look after this car - gave me many years of great service with the old one, and see they are rated on here too, which is great to know.

Look forward to as many years of fun with this car & forum as I had with the old mkiv!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:01:55 pm by Dave J »

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Dave J's Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:25 pm »
Looks like mine. Haha. :)

Sounds sweet dude, keep us updated with the progress..
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Joff Gas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:59 am »
Nice motor Dave  :happy2:

One of my first mods was to sort the front brakes out there are very poor in standard form!!

Enjoy your new car  :smiley:

Stage2plusd ed30 dsg

Offline Sir_dave

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:41:36 pm »
Lovely looking car, and great name btw, i can sell you an appropriate numberplate for £1 million if you like ;)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ifjf8dsativtvbobpumdg8i435&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:29:35 pm »
Welcome!! :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »
Welcome,  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »
looks great  :happy2:

Offline RSM1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:05:09 pm »
very clean!
and stock......
nice! :congrats:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 09:01:39 pm »
It's been a while! Happy New Year all - well forgotten now of course...

I've been motoring around in the ED30 for a while now. Resisted mods so far, but have added a MFSW thanks to Kalu. Love the car - DSG is so seemless...

Here's a few pics from my trackday on 30th Nov last year - booked it before the old car was written off. Felt a bit weird as most other cars there were modded, or stripped - the old one would have been fine, but the brakes on the ED30 were just not quite good enough to give me the confidence I had in my mkiv.

Pics of the day;

I think JBS were there in a mkiv 1.8t and a red mk5 with Revo logos all over it. Wanted to say hello, but they were either on track or away from the pits every time I went walking. The mk5 sounded pretty gutsy, and the 1.8t was spitting flames at the end of the straight...

Here's a couple of shots going through the famous Craner Curves;

Only other news is that I hit my first milestone with the ED30 today;

Here's to many more miles :)

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 09:05:38 pm »
great pics mate , you looking into big brakes then ?

Offline bojann.

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 02:45:06 pm »
great pictures  :wink:

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »
 Very nice! And you can't go wrong having APS service/mod your car! :notworthy:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: Dave J's Edition 30 - nummer 1387
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:10:15 pm »
Well, it's been a quiet few months for me - just motoring around, enjoying the ED30.

Added new pollen filter and air con sanitised the interior in Feb - helped freshen the cabin a bit more from the previous fag hag. Weekly clean of the interior plastics shows there's still some muck coming out of the system / it was not cleaned properly by VW, but it is a waaaaay cleaner car now than when I collected it from VW.

Still want a steam cleaner though - would power through it, I'm sure!

Have been stock piling a few parts - not modding of course..., just 'improving'. Mainly brakes and some chassis parts. Will be a while yet before any of this takes place though.

Main reason for this post is I have my ED30 Plaque on the way - number 1387  :smiley:

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 05:57:34 am »
Hi Dave j

so what brake mods have you opted for ? 

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 08:42:57 pm »
Hi Scooba,

I've gone for a set of S3 fronts and R32 rears. Just standard factory discs, but need to decide on which front pads to go for.
Also need too find a decent powder coating firm in Berkshire who I can trust to do a good job on the front calipers...

Cheers,
Dave

Edition 30 - no. 1387