Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering wheel rubbing  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Steering wheel rubbing
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »
This has been annoying me for months now and is ruining any enjoyment I get from driving the car.  :fighting:

A few months back I fitted a new wiper stalk to match the cruise control/indicator stalk fitted by Eddie back in feb. Since fitting the wiper stalk the bottom of the steering wheel is rubbing on the top part of the steering column plastics (when the wheel is turned 90 degrees or more) but when its in the  position so the wheels are straight ahead there is an equal gap of a few mm all round the steering wheel. I've lost count of how may times I've had it apart and put it back together. I've just bought a new top and bottom surround for the column and it still hasn't cured it. The wheel is tightened to 50nM as it states on various guides and haynes manuals.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to sort it?? Any ideas are welcome as now I'm thinking the rear of the steering wheel isn't right but I don't want to get a new one as A. its expensive and B. it was a new wheel fitted from the insurance claim back in April.

Offline mb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Steering wheel rubbing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:48 am »
I had this after removing the steering wheel cowling for something. I used a trim removal tool between the steering wheel & cowling & pushed against the cowling. Hasn't rubbed since!

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 07:35:16 am »
I've tried this but no joy, I've gt a funny feeling the wheel has been over tightened at some point, either by the bodyshop or the first time i put it back on after changing the stalk as I've tried trim tools and it does nothing

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 10:11:47 am »
I've just had all apart again this morning trying to sort this and i'm now just loosing all interest with the car tbh, its funny how the smallest little thing can ruin something.
The pic below shows what eventually haapened to the last top piece of the column plastics, it was rubbing then went to squeaking, I've since had anything I've taken off the column off and refitted and still no joy.

ANyone got any ideas?

cobalt

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:02:49 pm »
Hello! I'm resurrecting an old thread I know, but wondering whether you ever got this sorted!? I have the same issue and driving me bonkers! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!