All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

What millage should cam belt be done?

(1/3) > >>

gadge:
Havent got the the car yet, so havent got the manual, otherwise wouldnt ask!  :happy2:

Should be looking at a DSG gti today, but its got 51k on the clock. Just need to know what servicing it should of had by now.

bacillus:
It should have had a DSG service at 40k and if over 4 years old, cambelt and water pump changed.

Ifti:
DSG service every 40k miles.

The Cambelt is a touchy subject. The handbook says it should be INSPECTED after 60k miles / 4 years.
There are reports that VW changed this and now state it should be CHANGED after 40k miles / 4 years.

So its up to you who to believe! I think most dealers go for 4 years - not sure what milleage they stick with though!
I'd probably start thinking about a cambelt change after 40k miles, but get it done at 4 years.

My mate has just had his done at 60k miles, and has never had any issues - and he has a heavy right foot!

Caz:
cambelt is advised to be changed at 60,000 or 4 years WHICHEVER COMES FIRST.

you will not find a dealer that will INSPECT the cambelt as it's not as easy as that. The time taken to get to it and inspect it, you may aswell replace it.

no golf clubs at all:
There's been much debate about this.

I called vw, it's 4 years for the belt change.

I've had reports from stealers, indies and Vw that all contradict each other.

Lowest being stealer 40k highest VW stating 120,000!!! This was via the 0800 number at customer services and the girl put me on hold whilst she spoke to the correct technical dept.

I just done mine at 3.5 years and 36k as in September at 4 years I reckon I would have the money. So it's done and peace of mind prevails.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version