Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Reflash - anyone done it in a tuned ED30/Pirelli?  (Read 7315 times)

Offline tinto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
  • Pirelli GTI
Re: DSG Reflash - anyone done it in a tuned ED30/Pirelli?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 01:33:58 pm »
Hurdy, is the S Mode much more mental?
It is not like it is sedate now, so I'm curious to know how much more aggressive it is.

Right now S mode feels like an 'option' for daily driving.
But I'm wondering if it becomes much more of a measured decision to push it down there...?
i.e. chug a red bull, slap your face a few times, scream, deep breath... select S-Mode.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 02:54:26 pm »
Hurdy, is the S Mode much more mental?
It is not like it is sedate now, so I'm curious to know how much more aggressive it is.

Right now S mode feels like an 'option' for daily driving.
But I'm wondering if it becomes much more of a measured decision to push it down there...?
i.e. chug a red bull, slap your face a few times, scream, deep breath... select S-Mode.

....Isn't every driving decision a measured decision?

Very much down the road/traffic conditions within the parameters of safety and consideration for other road users.

Best you simply try using S-mode and you'll soon realise how it best fits in your style of driving.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »
S-mode actually feels smoother than it was with the OEM mapping. You simply get faster changes that are slightly less noticeable and then some extra revs at the top end if you need them. If you plant your foot down on the go fast pedal it will always be a case of hold on tight and sharpen those reflexes as you will quickly approach legal speed limits. :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline tinto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Pirelli GTI
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 03:31:02 pm »
....Isn't every driving decision a measured decision?
Not really, no. Most of my daily commute I'm on auto pilot if I'm totally honest.
I'm probably making measured decisions subconsciously on the basis you mentioned but I'm more or less a zombie until I get that first espresso.  :laugh:

But I should have put my question into context.
I do the occasional sprint/superkhana event as well as track days and will probably hit the drag strip when spring rolls around down under - I want to know if the revised S mode is as manic as GIAC say it is.
I've used S mode plenty of times, it is just right for a drive in the hills on twisty roads, but not quite enough on track.

i.e. switching to S mode now is usually just because I feel like revving it out and keeping it fizzing - but I get the impression that the GIAC's S mode is more than that. They say something like - 'not suitable for daily driving'.
This is a $900AUD purchase down under (440 pounds), so I'm certainly gonna quiz people about it before taking the plunge  :happy2:

Edit - just saw Hurdy answered - thanks mate.  I'm one step closer. The Aus govt just sent me a tidy tax return...

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 03:53:52 pm »

I do the occasional sprint/superkhana event as well as track days and will probably hit the drag strip when spring rolls around down under - I want to know if the revised S mode is as manic as GIAC say it is.
I've used S mode plenty of times, it is just right for a drive in the hills on twisty roads, but not quite enough on track.

....As a track newbie I tried S-mode on Nurburgring but quickly reverted back to M-mode as it gives far more reliable control.

Does the GIAC DSG remap apply to S-mode? I would question the wisdom of doing so for D-mode and suggest that a DSG remap is best applied to M-mode.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tinto

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Pirelli GTI
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 04:22:17 pm »
I got the impression D mode was effectively business as usual (unchanged), whereas both M/S are where the magic happens.
GIAC's description: http://www.giacusa.com/news.php?newsid=97

Strangely, the GIAC site doesn't have this line:
"Drive mode is recommended for daily commuting as our sport mode is much more aggressive than the factory sport mode. It is perfect for aggressive sprints and track or canyon runs."

Which is a line lifted from the Aussie reseller's site:
http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=78
I get the impression the DubAddiction text was lifted from GIAC - so wonder why GIAC removed that particular line.
Perhaps covering their arses and not wanting to endorse aggressive 'canyon runs'.
That sentence was what got me a bit more interested in it, hence all the specific S-mode questions!

I find these engines spin so smoothly that judging the RPM by ear is a bit of an art.
Sure I could look down, but tend not to when my mind is full of  "BRAAAAAAAKE! - TUUUUUURN!... why is my helmet steaming up?"
I've been in M mode and tried cracking down a gear only to realise i'm already tickling 6000rpm... so I go into Playstation mode and switch back to S  :happy2:

I know... I should be ashamed of myself.  :embarrassed:
"I will use more M Mode this year." A late New Years resolution has been found.  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 04:49:57 pm »

"I will use more M Mode this year." A late New Years resolution has been found.  :laugh:

....Better late than never! :happy2:

M-mode with the paddles is really the best of all and you can simply pop in and out of the others when you want. S-mode might be great but it's still the DSG which decides when to shift gear rather than you and even if your main attention is elsewhere it's so simple with your fingers next to the paddles.