Make a donation

Author Topic: Panel filters  (Read 8744 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Panel filters
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 03:28:53 pm »
^^^ A Panel filter or intake???

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:29 pm »

I thought I saw an ITG intake on a Mk5 at Inters. It didn't look the part at all - Just a big exposed conical lump of foam with a crude shield.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 03:36:43 pm »
If it was one Revo's White Leon then you would be correct, this is the pre-production version.

There is some improvement expected on the look of the foam surround but it's proven to be very affective so is likely to be quiet similar from what I understand  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »
^^^^
Ah yes, I remember now asking Martin to show me. IIRC I was distracted by talking to a long legged creature from Venus wearing something very tight and black.

I don't think ITG did themselves any favours by displaying that pre-production version - It looked so crude and home-made.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »
^^^^
Ah yes, I remember now asking Martin to show me. IIRC I was distracted by talking to a long legged creature from Venus wearing something very tight and black.

I don't think ITG did themselves any favours by displaying that pre-production version - It looked so crude and home-made.

they are running a carbon ITG on their A3 which looks a lot better  :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 04:10:40 pm »

That's correct Dom, Widget has the VWR panel filter at present :happy2:
Will it last??  :ashamed:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »

they are running a carbon ITG on their A3 which looks a lot better  :happy2:

....Although it's all under the bonnet, many of us still want some eye-candy there. As well as performance and also some sound.

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 11:15:15 am »
function over form all the time for us ;-)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:42 pm »

function over form all the time for us ;-)

:P

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »
I recently bought a Pipercross panel filter as it is dry .... ITG appealed but didn't get it in the end because of the oil issues - though these in reality seem more like potential rather than actual issues ....

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:34 pm »
I have bought a vwr panel filter it should be here tomorrow, it does say on the sight theat they found a 15nm increase so hopefully it will be a nice cheap little mod  :jumpmove:

Im torn now between getting an exhaust for a bit more power and noise or getting some sportlines as they look  8)

decisions  :rolleye:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »
Not sure if this would be better on a separate thread but out of curiosity what's the general consensus on filters? Pro's & Cons etc?

Am I right in thinking that the panel filter suffer less heat soak and also produce a considerable amount of low end torque than the induction kits and if so what is the real advantage of one compared to a decent panel filter. I've had numerous induction kits on previous cars and always loved the additional noise that came with them but this idea that they just don't do anything for performance puts me off buying another one for the GTi. Surely the air is already hot after passing through the turbo and other engine parts etc anyway?

It seems like the VWR panel filter is very good which sorts that if I decide to go down that line but what about the induction kits and which seem offer the best results all round from peoples experience? I've also seen a thread on smoothing the air box out inside to give even better results with a panel filter. Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 07:05:18 pm »
Not sure if this would be better on a separate thread but out of curiosity what's the general consensus on filters? Pro's & Cons etc?

Am I right in thinking that the panel filter suffer less heat soak and also produce a considerable amount of low end torque than the induction kits and if so what is the real advantage of one compared to a decent panel filter. I've had numerous induction kits on previous cars and always loved the additional noise that came with them but this idea that they just don't do anything for performance puts me off buying another one for the GTi. Surely the air is already hot after passing through the turbo and other engine parts etc anyway?

It seems like the VWR panel filter is very good which sorts that if I decide to go down that line but what about the induction kits and which seem offer the best results all round from peoples experience?

I've also seen a thread on smoothing the air box out inside to give even better results with a panel filter. Has anyone done this and noticed an improvement :confused:

....I don't have any experience of anything other than panel filters (yet!) but have read a lot about them. The consensus is that 'filters on a pipe' induction kits are better performers than flat panel filters, but neither represent good 'bang for your buck' like a remap does.

However, taking the principle of engines needing air, then surely aftermarket filters will improve efficiency and so contribute something. It's probably a bit like performance exhausts - They don't do much except to throttle response and sound until you also have an ECU remap. I've also been told that an intake coupled with a performance exhaust will help each other.

Regarding smoothing the airbox inside, the Carbonio ram interior is very smooth indeed. Or do you mean smoothing the stock engine cover filter box internally? - I have never heard of anyone doing that.

Some induction kits can be too noisy for some - The EVOMS is particularly raspy for example. Current fashion is not to hear boy-racer blow off dumping noises.

Filter maintenance and sound are important considerations.

Something I don't understand is why the oem air intake rams are so extremely convoluted. It concerns me that there may be a good reason as my Carbonio is the opposite.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 07:14:27 pm »
I've posted the link to 'smoothing' the factory air intake box. It would seem to make sense I suppose but I really am missing the growl that come with a decent induction kit though.
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87356.0

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 08:22:11 pm »
^^^ The airbox design on the Mk5 is very different to the Mk4 one shown in your link so I would doubt there would be as much you can do with the Mk5 airbox.

I have tried two different panel filters (an ITG and Pipercross), and both gave very similar results.

I am now trying an intake system that attaches to the standard airbox and draws the air from the inner wing area.

However if your looking to go for the likes of stage 2 code and turbo back exhausts then a true CAI would be my choice. There is now the forge twintake to consider as well as a new intake on it's way from ITG.  :happy2: