Make a donation

Author Topic: DIY Cam Follower vid finished  (Read 10986 times)

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
Re: DIY Cam Follower vid finished
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:48 pm »
Holy sh*t...better get it changed then after reading that....i watched the video...is it the same on a 05 plate GTI?  Thanks

An 05 plate car should have a banjo bolt connecting the fuel rail to the hpfp. This unfortunately is a bit of a b*tch to remove. Once removed, the instructions on changing the follower is depicted in the video.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »
Holy sh*t...better get it changed then after reading that....i watched the video...is it the same on a 05 plate GTI?  Thanks

An 05 plate car should have a banjo bolt connecting the fuel rail to the hpfp. This unfortunately is a bit of a b*tch to remove. Once removed, the instructions on changing the follower is depicted in the video.

so is it best to just get it done on its next service?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:26 am »
 Excelllent How-to Video. :notworthy:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 08:03:52 am »
Every one of us in the US with upgraded hpfp's are now having to change the cam follower(c/f) about every 10k miles with a few going either way to 5k and 15k miles between the c/f replacement.

My recommendation is;
If you let it go and never check it, that would be OK as long as you are under warranty and do not mind the shop having your mkv for a few days.
If already past the warranty you should begin checking the c/f.
If you don't, and the cam lobe wears through the c/f, you could be looking at replacing the hpfp, intake cam, and of course the c/f.
Even without an upgraded hpfp the oem hpfp will likely have a c/f wear completely through by 100k miles +/-.
Look at the black diamond like coating(DLC) for wear revealing a polished spot through the DLC revealing the underlying alloy.

Again, once the DLC(black coating on the mating surface) begins to wear through you likely have less than 5 to 7k miles left on it. Trust me on that. I had one looking good and 5800 miles later was completely worn through the c/f and hpfp internal pump rod as well as the intake cams fuel lobe. Luckily it was all covered by warranty except for the additional hpfp upgrade needed which ran me another $900usd.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:16:23 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline NeroDiablo

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 05:47:49 pm »
I read about the cam follower when I first got mine and realised it should be done. A little daunting at first to say he least but after 10 mins I thought I'd forgotten something, it was that easy! The hardest thing was locating my fuse for the pump to relieve some pressure before using the spanners. This is something that should be changed as it's never advised by any one. Just make sure you have a rag.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 05:59:56 pm »
going to attempt it this weekend if the weather hold up.....wish me luck as i have the old one with the Banjo bolt  :pomppomp:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline snowball05

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 07:52:47 pm »
Sorry for the thread mine but I have a 54 plate with 45,000 miles on the clock and want to replace the cam follower.  I got as far as removing the fuel lines but got stuck on accessing the second bolt.  Anyone know what tool/method is the best to use here?

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:54:32 pm by snowball05 »

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 09:04:25 am »
Which "second bolt" do you mean?

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=r0du8eevuqi38j9ofmu6eadl11&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 10:55:25 am »
Maybe he means the Banjo bolt M8 triple square?

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Rigsby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 11:29:40 am »
That's a fuel line though, he said he removed the fuel lines?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 06:17:46 pm »
That's a fuel line though, he said he removed the fuel lines?
He said "got as far as removing the fuel lines but got stuck on accessing the second bolt."...I believe he must've meant the banjo bolt. I think he's describing that he just got started and got stuck on that Friggin Banjo bolt on the low pressure line because the 17mm on the high pressure rail  line is quite easy to get at. But if he didn't and he meant the bolt under the bleeder valve, he just needs to remove the bleeder as I did in the vid.

The Banjo bolt is the one you need to be creative piecing together what works. Here's a torx bit taped into a combo spanner: http://i45.tinypic.com/nl78kg.jpg

...and here's someone's thoughts on the Banjo bolt having done a Banjo bolt delete: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/mod_images/95_300.jpg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:37:16 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=r0du8eevuqi38j9ofmu6eadl11&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:33 pm »
I used a 1/4 inch ratchet with M8 Screwdriver bit.

I bought the screwdriver kit just for this job as i got stuck.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline snowball05

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:03 am »
Thanks for the help.  I didn't even know what size M piece I needed for that banjo bolt.  Its a tough one to get to.  I will have another go knowing that someone has been able to get it out.   :happy2: