Make a donation

Author Topic: how to confuse a dsg??  (Read 6159 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
how to confuse a dsg??
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:20:17 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've had my gti just under a month and wander if anyone has the same experience? Coming up to a junction or roundabout and easing off the accelerator...check to see if the way forward is clear and then accelerating. The dsg hesitates, then the revs climb significantly before the clutch grips and the car picks up speed. It feels like clutch slip to me but under most other conditions it's not obvious. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

In sport mode or changing through the paddles it's not a problem so maybe the kick down function is a bit sensitive??

Thankls again. 

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: how to confuse a dsg??
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:30:36 pm »
Sounds like it is the Kick down function mate. As if it's fine in M and S modes then I doubt it's the clutch.
DSG map will sort that out..  :happy2:

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 11:05:23 pm »
Thanks VTEC ABUSER.

You say a dsg map...is that a dealer option or are there other routes to follow? When I bought the car they gave it an oil sevice but I think it needs a full on proper service so could a remap be included in this?

Thanks again.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:25:30 pm »
The dsg map he's refering to is an after market dsg software that's presently only freely available from Giac.

btw I suspect what you're seeing is normal as the dsg box has problems in this particular area.
Without traction power is nothing!

Ifti

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 08:47:04 am »
With normal driving, in D, M, or S - everything is fine.
But when you floor the pedel to use the kickdown feature I also get some hesitation while it chooses its gear. I think its pretty normal, and as stated above, you'd probably need a DSG remap to sort it.
When you state the revs climb significantly, you'll probably notice thats because its dropped drown 2-3 gears to get the most power from the high rev range.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 10:02:43 am »
With normal driving, in D, M, or S - everything is fine.
But when you floor the pedel to use the kickdown feature I also get some hesitation while it chooses its gear. I think its pretty normal, and as stated above, you'd probably need a DSG remap to sort it.
When you state the revs climb significantly, you'll probably notice thats because its dropped drown 2-3 gears to get the most power from the high rev range.

Kickdown is normally two gears, so the delay you feel under a 2 gear kickdown is due to the fact that they are on the same gear shaft and don't benefit from the extra drive shaft.

ie 6th to 4th, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd, 3rd to 1st

All these changes use the same drive shaft so the changes take longer as the clutch has to disengage, select the kickdown gear and re-engage the same clutch on the same shaft :happy2:

A kickdown of 3 gears would still be longer than a 1 gear change as normally the box has a pre-selected gear on the other drive shaft that is nearest to the one being used, so it would have to select a gear further away than the one it normally pre-selects. It would also take longer to match the drive shaft speeds for the gear swap :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 10:12:17 am »
I find if I've been tootling around in D, lazy commuting style and then surprise it with a bootfull, it has a spaz as its gone to sleep.

Override with the paddles where possible.
Sideways yo!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:28 pm »
Yeah sorry mate, the DSG software is a aftermarket map that allows you to have it in manual and when you floor it it doesn't engage the hideous kickdown (which I used to hate  :sick:). As Tony says, it's a lot better to just use the paddles and engage the gear YOU want, not what it may think is best. That's what I always use to do when aproachiing a RA/juction. Plus it gets you a bit more involved in the driving..  :wink:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 01:40:52 am »
I hate kickdown sometimes. Really is anoying when you only want a little acceleration and all of sudden you get a shed-load.

Kickdown almost rids the whole idea of low down torque - as it always wants to shift down into the power range.

Am I right in thinking Revo now do DSG box software?

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 01:45:00 am »
I find if I've been tootling around in D, lazy commuting style and then surprise it with a bootfull, it has a spaz as its gone to sleep.

This is exactly what I hate about the DSG. "D" is kind of sporadic and inconsistent. One minute it wil be economy the next it will be dropping the gears and accelerating like crazy.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:05:13 am »
I hate kickdown sometimes. Really is anoying when you only want a little acceleration and all of sudden you get a shed-load.

Kickdown almost rids the whole idea of low down torque - as it always wants to shift down into the power range.

Am I right in thinking Revo now do DSG box software?

Officially at present no, but give it a few more weeks and there should be some news.

Other options are present are GIAC or HPA (not sure if HPA have any UK dealers for it as yet).  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:51:27 pm »

This is exactly what I hate about the DSG. "D" is kind of sporadic and inconsistent. One minute it wil be economy the next it will be dropping the gears and accelerating like crazy.

....The solution is easy: Only use D when you are crawling in a traffic queue or gently in town/village, and otherwise use M and the paddles and think 'Manual' by shifting gear whenever you would in a conventional manual car. D is dull but very useful if you accept its limitations.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 09:20:46 pm »
....The solution is easy: Only use D when you are crawling in a traffic queue or gently in town/village, and otherwise use M and the paddles and think 'Manual' by shifting gear whenever you would in a conventional manual car. D is dull but very useful if you accept its limitations.

This is invariably what I do RedRobin. But I find myself becoming annoyed by M not being 100% true to its name.

For example...

• 1) There is still a kick down function
    This is possibly the most annoying feature of the DSG box. Coming from a torque'y car I enjoy using low end torque to full effect, of which the edition 30 has plenty of. So I find it frustrating when I floor the accelerator at 3.5-4k (just as the turbo begins) in 3rd to find it dropping into 2nd for a bit of head snapping, high revving action. This has caught me out on a number of occasions.
  • 2) Changing gear at redline
    While enjoying B-roads this is sometimes an unwelcomed surprise.

Now I know number 2) can be solved with a DSG box remap. But can number 1)?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:29:44 pm by pazz »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 09:50:26 pm »
^^^^
Yes, so can number 1) be solved by a DSG remap *cough* allegedly *cough* :wink:

[But now I've told you that, I'll have to shoot you! :wink:]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 10:27:26 pm »
Why the *cough*'s? I'm not following. Oh the joys of online chat.

I presume thats the GIAC DSG map? Maybe we need to get Hurdy in on this topic  :happy2:

I find it most frustrating when leaving a 40 zone to enter a 60/70 zone.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:30:03 pm by pazz »