Make a donation

Author Topic: help with set up  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
help with set up
« on: July 11, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »
I will have a pretty low car in a couple of weeks when my club sports are fitted and the car has been set up by VWR.
Now i know the lower you go the more you compromise the handling, but i would like to try and find a balance between looks and handling as i will be going to the ring and hopefully starting to do some track days in the near future.
I have sold my Monza's and i am looking for some lightweight alloys as track and winter wheels.
What i would like, is to get my ride set up low with the works alloys on and not have to change the set up when on track. To achieve this i am thinking of buying some 17in wheels and putting on a lower tyre wall to create extra clearance for when the car is tracked.
I know this will throw out the speedo but will doing this have any adverse effects on the over all handling.   :driver:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: help with set up
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »
I wouldn't bother with the tyre size change for starters.

In winter you'll not be pushing the car like in summer due to the conditions, so on winter rims just stay as you are and soften off the ARBs.

On the track you've got fancy adjustable suspension to bring into play. Just get the 17"s on 45s with a decent offset so as not to pull the arches. Rubbing the liners doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things.

Having it low and on 40s is going to present problems with ground clearance.

The 'Ring is just a b***ard on any car due to the nature of the place, you want it riding higher for that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:03:19 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:07:23 pm »
Get yourself to Oulton with me on the 31st, we'll have that cat tweaked in no time!
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »
So your saying just raise the suspension for track days. Which i have considered, its just the cost really as the KW's need to come off for adjustment on the back that is , then obviously alignment re-done, ok once a year but if i go the ring once and do 2 or 3 track days then it will be getting expensive. Or do you mean having a 45 wall will give enough clearance for the underside of the car.  :smiley:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:35:31 pm »
For track days stay as you are, don't bother changing the height, you'll be fine, just play with the compression/rebound to stiffen it that way instead to control rub. Don't forget, shedding the back seats and spare wheel will increase the height a touch to your benefit too.

I'd only consider changing the height for the 'Ring if its REALLY low, I guess I can give a better opinion when I see how yours rides on the 17s... but, as an example:

Mine's got 15mm between the tyre & arch and up Foxhole (steep downhill/uphill where you can't lift, remember it?) I was rubbing all 4 arch liners all the way up the hill, granted I was in 3 figures, but any lower and it'd have been bottoming out on the stops and that's when things get a bit hairy. You need some travel for that place for sure, I wouldn't like it stiffer/harder to compromise as I don't want a skittish car there, well, certainly for an amature like me!

A 40 on a 17" rim is going to drop the belly too close to the ground, if the car is already low and you'll risk grounding it or ripping your valance off.

I take it you'll be running a touch more camber to tuck the 19"s, that'll help you on the track wheels too to keep them off the arch.
Sideways yo!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »
Yeh that all makes sense cheers that Tony.  :happy2: