Make a donation

Author Topic: 1st service  (Read 8954 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Re: 1st service
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 01:45:48 pm »
Although there are the two types of service as Caz says, you don't get the choice between them to save money etc you should have the one that the service schedule requires carried out.

I've just had mine done at 19k miles, Inspection Service and Oil service together including pollen filter. I was quoted £236 but further discounted to £196 when I asked.  Dropped the car off at about 4.30pm, picked up an A4 Cab loaner, went for dinner and mine was ready when I picked it up at 8.30pm (they are open til 10pm for servicing).
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Indy's in my area?
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 04:19:58 pm »
Hi all

Im mainly based in the Harlow / Essex area most of the time.

Just rang a local VW dealer as my car needs its first service next month - he quoted me £225 for a T&D, or £365 for a LL service!!! Thats just an engine oil and filter change!!!

Im looking for any VW approved Indy's, or other good dealers for some more prices first.

Im willing to travel a little if need be...

Any recommendations??

Cheers

Get a few prices in writing from independents (within 5 miles of any Dub stealer) - make sure they separate parts and labour prices.  Then go back to the dub stealer and ask them to price match in accordance with Volkswagen UKs official instructions . . .

Or ask for a labour-only price, and supply your own oil, filter and sump plug - you should get a little discount just for asking.  As the ole Tesco saying goes . . .  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 04:24:41 pm »
Im after a long life service, even though Im on T&D, since I want LL oils to be used.

You do NOT want a LongLife service - you simply want a 1st T&D service, but using the LongLife oil!!!  Look at my thread on the other forum!

The first T&D service, done at 12 months or 10k miles from DOR - is just 4 items,

• drain & refil engine oil
  • change oil filter
  • inspect front brake pads
  • re-set service interval display

Less than ½hour labour!!!!!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 04:39:28 pm »
Im after a long life service, even though Im on T&D, since I want LL oils to be used.

My LOCAL VW dealer - £365 - FOR A FIRST SERVICE!!!!!!!

Another VW dealership - about 17 miles away from me - the same service for..............wait for it...................£124.14!

I'll deffo be going here. This guy seemed to know what he was talking about over the phone when it came to servicing and oils etc - stating they used Castrol oil as well. My local dealer hardly knew the difference between T&D and LL servicing! I cant believe how much they tried to rip me off for!
Had a bit of a chat with him, and he said he was getting a lot of business from around the London area - all going up to him!!
Since they are a VW dealer, all parts will be VW approved etc.
He then went on to tell me my most expensive service at year 4, will be £367 - and that INCLUDES the DSG oil change was well (which they usually do for around £130!).

Hopefully their service will be quite good, and they'll have got themselves a new customer!!

But what are you getting for your money. i payed £224 and they didnt even change the Brake fluid oil change that was due (2 years). Personally try and ask what you get done on this £124 offering, as against the other bids.

Yes, but don't forget, even though the BFC needs doing at 2years, it isn't actually part of any 'service' - it is actually classed as 'extra work', and needs to be asked for over and above the standard service.  Though most stealers should really be on the ball and actually advise you when booking it in!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 04:43:53 pm »
But I did notice they used Mobil 1 0Wsomething...

I recall TT thought Mobil wasn't worth oiling his hinges with and stating that it wasn't approved by VW?

The 'normal' Mobil 1 oils which are 0w40, did NOT have the orginal VW LongLife2 approval, but their latest 'Mobil 1 ESP 5w30' is approved to LongLife3 standards.  I would still avoid them mine dew!  :wink:

But if they defo used a '0Wsommat' - then your stealer has NOT used a VW approved oil!!!!!!!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
that wont be a FULL INSPECTION service, that'll be the cheaper option of a lubrication service.
sorry, but no way would you get a service that cheap for a GTi.. that price is more Polo prices.lol

that price for 40k ins't so bad, although guessing it doesnt cover cambelt&tensioner..

But cambelt & tensioner is not covered under the 'normal' service items anyway!  Officially, it wasn't meant to be inspected until 6years or 60k miles, though it has been revised, and is strongly 'recommended' that the belt & tensioner is inspected at 4years/40k miles.

if you guys need any help with whats due when, what to ask for, what to expect or anything else, im happy to help..

Or simply look in your book pack - the very first booklet (after the index book  :P) tells you exactly what is done on each individual service!  :innocent:

i know i work fo the stealers, but im not all bad..  :sad1:

Thankfully, you are one of the pleasant exceptions - most stealers are truely shocking - just ask any who saw my GTI at Inters this year . . .   :fighting:  :fighting:  :fighting:  :fighting:
------

Ifti

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »

You do NOT want a LongLife service - you simply want a 1st T&D service, but using the LongLife oil!!!  Look at my thread on the other forum!

The first T&D service, done at 12 months or 10k miles from DOR - is just 4 items,

• drain & refil engine oil
  • change oil filter
  • inspect front brake pads
  • re-set service interval display

Less than ½hour labour!!!!!

Sorry yup, thats what I asked for in the end.
The T&D service was about £80 I think, but I asked for them to use LL oil, (confirmed that they do use Castrol), so the total came to £106.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »
that wont be a FULL INSPECTION service, that'll be the cheaper option of a lubrication service.
sorry, but no way would you get a service that cheap for a GTi.. that price is more Polo prices.lol

that price for 40k ins't so bad, although guessing it doesnt cover cambelt&tensioner..

if you guys need any help with whats due when, what to ask for, what to expect or anything else, im happy to help..

i know i work fo the stealers, but im not all bad..  :sad1:

Indeed I didn't, I'm doing that next year as personally I feel 5 years is more appropriate.  Interstingly my dealer told me mine didn't need doing till 100k miles  :surprised:.  I think this is too long so it will be done next year.  I've no wish to drag this debate up again...

Well not unless you have ordered an 'extra heavy duty, double quadruple layer, nomex/kevlar flack jacket' !!!!  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:

Whats the story with Mobil then?  I went in a few weeks ago to get 1L of oil, expecting the quantum gold stuff and the parts guy came out with a 5L bottle.  Gave it to me for free saying they weren't allowed to sell it anymore as it had been superseeded?  I presume VW have a deal with Mobil now then?  Or is it a dealer by dealer decision?

Huh - what exactly did you get?????

Yes, Quantum Synta Gold has been discontinued, but then that was NEVER LongLife approved anyway!  :scared:

Re the Mobil / stealer comment - individual VAG stealers are free to choose their own workshop 'bulk contract' for oil supplier - so they could be either Castrol (excellent), Fuchs (excellent), Shell (fair to middling), or Mobil (shyte for VAG use).  Sadly, VAG UK don't seem to care if the bulk oil company can actually supply the correct oils!!!

If I can pick your brain once more, I had the AC service and refresh thing and my car certainly stank of disinfectant when I got into it.  But now when I turn the AC on it absolutely stinks of old gym bag.  There was no smell from the AC before the service/refresh so I'm puzzled how they managed to make it smell like that.  Its going in on Sat to be looked at /  I presume they will run some more disinfectant through it again...

Why oh why oh why . . . . . AC service is just a CON !!!!!!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:27 pm »
i dont mind telling you guys this, as it wont be losing me money anywhere (lol), but, if you wanted to have the cheaper option and have the vehicle inspected, you can ask for an express visual check to be carried out. its a pretty thorough check of the vehicle, major components etc, tyres checked and tread reported on, oil level etc.. best thing is its FREE.

you can have as many EVC's (as we call them) done as you like. I have a lovely lady customer of mine come in every 3 months for one.

Yes - but those EVCs are shyte - and are NOT formally recognised by either VW UK, nor VW Germany - as being part of the 'official' service history - so if you skimp on a 'proper service' and just go for a EVC - then bye-bye warranty!!

I recently had an EVC done on my RS4 - they reported the brakes as being 90% new, when the front pads were less than ½mm from the wear indicator - these EVCs are NOT worth the paper they are printed on!!!!  AVOID at all costs!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 05:08:24 pm »
Well I finally got my first service done today from a VW dealer.

The dealer is around 17 miles away from me, since my local dealer wanted to charge just under £250 for an engine oil and filter change!

Anyways, got to the dealer (MJ Warner, in Herts) after a fun drive there, since its a lot of country lanes etc to get there  :laugh:

They took the car straight in, and told me it would come to £125 - as quoted.
They said it would take about an hour, to an hour and a half.
I waited around looking at other cars - unfortunately no MK6 GTIs to look closely at....
The service took around 45-50 mins - maybe it was quicker as I requested they didnt wash the car?!

Anyways, he came back and LOWERED the price even further.
He said it came to £106 and not £125 as expected!

Labour - £47.60
Filter - £8.73
Cleaner - £2.80
LL3 Oil - £33.60
VAT - £13.91
TOTAL - £106.64

They also did the Express Visual Check etc - which all turned out fine.
Finally, they topped up the washer fluid as well, and gave me the rest of the bottle - which is still over half full. (Is that what I was charged for as 'Cleaner'??).

Overall good service, at a good price. After the service the guy sat down with me and went over every bit of the invoice, telling me exactly what I had been charged for etc.

I think they've got themselves a regular customer  :wink:

The sales guy there told me that the value of the ED30's have gone UP a little, due to the rarity. He knew a lot of people who were after them.
Told him how much I had paid for it a few months back, and he said I got a decent deal, and could probably make a small profit on it if I sold now! lol

Yup, cleaner at £2.80 will be a litre bottle of screenwash.  What brand of oil did they use though?  At that price, it looks like they used Quantum stuff - which is NOT approved for official VW workshops!

The EVC is an utter waste of paper though!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »
Although there are the two types of service as Caz says, you don't get the choice between them to save money etc you should have the one that the service schedule requires carried out.

Spot on!  :happy2:  You must have the actual service which is due according to the official service schedule.  If you don't then you have no warranty!

I've just had mine done at 19k miles, Inspection Service and Oil service together including pollen filter. I was quoted £236 but further discounted to £196 when I asked.  Dropped the car off at about 4.30pm, picked up an A4 Cab loaner, went for dinner and mine was ready when I picked it up at 8.30pm (they are open til 10pm for servicing).

That's pretty good - which dealer is that?
------

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 08:25:02 pm »

i know i work fo the stealers, but im not all bad..  :sad1:

Indeed I didn't, I'm doing that next year as personally I feel 5 years is more appropriate.  Interstingly my dealer told me mine didn't need doing till 100k miles  :surprised:.  I think this is too long so it will be done next year.  I've no wish to drag this debate up again...

Well not unless you have ordered an 'extra heavy duty, double quadruple layer, nomex/kevlar flack jacket' !!!!  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:

:embarrassed: :grin:
Whats the story with Mobil then?  I went in a few weeks ago to get 1L of oil, expecting the quantum gold stuff and the parts guy came out with a 5L bottle.  Gave it to me for free saying they weren't allowed to sell it anymore as it had been superseeded?  I presume VW have a deal with Mobil now then?  Or is it a dealer by dealer decision?

Huh - what exactly did you get?????

Yes, Quantum Synta Gold has been discontinued, but then that was NEVER LongLife approved anyway!  :scared:

Re the Mobil / stealer comment - individual VAG stealers are free to choose their own workshop 'bulk contract' for oil supplier - so they could be either Castrol (excellent), Fuchs (excellent), Shell (fair to middling), or Mobil (shyte for VAG use).  Sadly, VAG UK don't seem to care if the bulk oil company can actually supply the correct oils!!!

What I was given for free was Quantum Synta Gold 5w-40 to vag standard 502.00 / 505.00

What was put in the car during the service was (according to the invoice) Mobil 1 0w-40

If I can pick your brain once more, I had the AC service and refresh thing and my car certainly stank of disinfectant when I got into it.  But now when I turn the AC on it absolutely stinks of old gym bag.  There was no smell from the AC before the service/refresh so I'm puzzled how they managed to make it smell like that.  Its going in on Sat to be looked at /  I presume they will run some more disinfectant through it again...

Why oh why oh why . . . . . AC service is just a CON !!!!!!

I'm surprised you say that?  I thought the oil in the refrigerent was hygroscopic and should be emptied and replaced periodically?  To clarify I had an ac service and refresh.  The service involved vacumming and refilling the refrigerant and gas.  The refresh I would agree was a con and has left my ac with a bit of a whiff which wasn't there before so I'll be doing a DIY disinfect soon.  So yeah, I would agree the refresh was a bit of a con.  At the time I thought its only an extra 25 quid but in hindsight I would just get the service done without the refresh.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:26:47 pm by ub7rm »
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »
But I did notice they used Mobil 1 0Wsomething...

I recall TT thought Mobil wasn't worth oiling his hinges with and stating that it wasn't approved by VW?

The 'normal' Mobil 1 oils which are 0w40, did NOT have the orginal VW LongLife2 approval, but their latest 'Mobil 1 ESP 5w30' is approved to LongLife3 standards.  I would still avoid them mine dew!  :wink:

But if they defo used a '0Wsommat' - then your stealer has NOT used a VW approved oil!!!!!!!

:confused:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 08:42:43 pm »
my first service was £99.00 and that was with longlife oil on t&d

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 08:49:10 pm »

That's pretty good - which dealer is that?

Southampton Audi.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available