Make a donation

Author Topic: dipstick  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
dipstick
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:41:41 pm »
Hi all went to check oil this morning dipstick a bit hard to remove but came out unfortunately the plastic under the o ring has broken up I have some bits of it and some fell onto plastic underbody tray I am not convinced all of it is out of the tube so am concerned that by just buying a new dipstick and replacing it some pieces of plastic will end up in the sump has anyone else had this happen and if so what did you do I am thinking only way to be sure is to drop sump and clean out dipstick tube

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: dipstick
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
I'm on my third dipstick, this has happened to me twice before. I was lucky and was fairly confident that none had fallen/broken off in the tube. It's the plastic ball half way up the dipstick that would be more likely to break up and fall into the system imo. Twice i've managed to catch this part hanging from the dipstick ready to fall off.

As you describe the top part has broken off and hit the undertray as mine did.

If you haven't done the oil pick up pipe in the sump before, then maybe it's worth doing for long term peace of mind and preventive maintenance  :happy2:

Offline Optimistictim

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 06:54:47 pm »

If you haven't done the oil pick up pipe in the sump before, then maybe it's worth doing for long term peace of mind and preventive maintenance  :happy2:

That looks rather involved as a PM activity.. is it as bad as it looks?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:54:59 pm »

That looks rather involved as a PM activity.. is it as bad as it looks?

I've done the pick up pipe clean twice in the last couple of weeks, once on my car and again on a friends. It takes me about 4 hours but I'm very pedantic about making sure I remove ALL of the old sealant from the block and sump.
Neither of us had had a broken dipstick but we found bits of the old broken through cam follower in my friends sump.

Offline Optimistictim

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:00 pm »
4 hours is pretty involved.. twice as long as changing the cam follower on an AXA engine!

The engine has done 92k (with regular oil changes) so maybe it's worth the investment..

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:59:11 pm by Optimistictim »

Offline Washout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
Does anyone have the part number for a new dipstick, this happened to me yesterday the plastic lug broke of as I placed it back in, annoying. Cheers

Offline Neil 54

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:54 pm »
Hi Picked mine up yesterday from TPS part number 06F115611F price £9.56 I am also booked into AKS Tuning to have pick up cleaned and any bits of dipstick removed

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:55 am »
They're yellow opposed to orange now  :smiley: Whats the point in the ball? Might just take it off now if its not really needed.

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:32 am »
Probably to keep the dipstick central in the tube to aid guiding it back in to place. Sure you'd be fine to remove it if needed.

My new dipstick has been in 3 years now and I check the oil at least once a week and it's been fine, so you should be ok for a few years! Hate the fact it's yellow rather than the orange tube though.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 09:30:28 am »
Must be an upgraded material?  The orange dipsticks on older VWs I've owned all broke up easily in the same way.

I remember the good old days of when engines were made of that strange material called metal!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:32:05 am »
Must be an upgraded material?  The orange dipsticks on older VWs I've owned all broke up easily in the same way.

I remember the good old days of when engines were made of that strange material called metal!

Isn't there an aftermarket dipstick for these cars where at least the top section is made from polished aluminium. They may match well with the Porsche oil and washer caps.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:14 am »
Just noticed these on the ECS website:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/ecs-tuning-billet-engine-oil-dipstick-polished/006131ecs01-01~a/

I have seen others where you just replace the dipstick hand for a metal one but the ECS product appears to be a complete replacement...

Rich