Make a donation

Author Topic: Symptoms of a knackered MAF sensor  (Read 21086 times)

northyracing

Symptoms of a knackered MAF sensor
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:39 pm »
As title says really anyone know the tell tell signs if it is knackered as I am getting a judder when car is idleing but don't know if its the PCV

Saintsteve

Re: Symptoms of a knackered MAF sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »
Can you hear a hissing sound when you shut the engine down from the PCV valve itself?

There is a small drilling in the PCV housing and if the valve is knackered then the air from inside hisses out.

I would just disconnect the MAF, and see if the engine runs smooth.
If it runs smooth the MAF is generally ok.

northyracing

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »
I have not really hear a hissing noise just I gets a lumpy idle and then once movin the car is fine so basically start the car up and unplug sensor and if it still runs smooth then it's ok

northyracing

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »
Just unplugged maf and runs smooth

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »
Just unplugged maf and runs smooth

Sounds like you need another maf.
Without traction power is nothing!

northyracing

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 11:00:51 pm »
i drove the car for a while got it nice and warm and it started running lumpy on idle unplugged maf and for a second engine revs dropped then back to normal and it still ran slightly lumpy at idle but noticed when driving at low speeds it felt very juddery i have replaced the dv valve but noticed one of the allen bolts but have vibrated loose would this cause a problem

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:52:54 am »
The only real way I know of to test the MAF is to log data for the intake air mass, group 002 w/vcds, and check that with your known hp. Other than that, you can temporarily swap in a buddy's to see if it solves your issue. Your intake air mass in g/s divided by 0.80 should equal your HP. For example: my air mass is 280 g/s....280/0.8=350 HP.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:38:29 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:03:39 am »
i drove the car for a while got it nice and warm and it started running lumpy on idle unplugged maf and for a second engine revs dropped then back to normal and it still ran slightly lumpy at idle but noticed when driving at low speeds it felt very juddery i have replaced the dv valve but noticed one of the allen bolts but have vibrated loose would this cause a problem
Yes. It will run rough if the loose bolt creates a break in the seal.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

northyracing

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »
Been havin idle problems and juddery feeling so checked my pcv today I done the blow down the pipe test. I took it off inlet manifold side and blew down the pipe and took oil cap off and you could hear that I was blowing straight through the pcv into the engine also noticed the pipe had quite abit of engine oil in it would this suggest the pcv is naffed

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 07:26:09 pm »
If You Can blow and Suck down that Value then it is Faulty. :happy2:

northyracing

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »
I had abit of oil in the pipes and also when I changed dv it was full of oil surely this ain't right either

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 07:32:54 pm »
I had abit of oil in the pipes and also when I changed dv it was full of oil surely this ain't right either

Being full or having signs of oil in it doesnt mean its faulty.As I said if you can blow and suck, the valve inside the pcv is faulty.It has a ball valve inside.

northyracing

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
Well put it this way I had a mate blow down the pipe and I had my ear to the oil filler cap and you could hear it inside the engine so he was basically blowing straight through the pcv

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »
Not to go off topic or steal ;)
Can this effect dirty diesels too ? I have a rough idle of my 2.0 TDI, its not constant or regular , just every now and then
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

northyracing

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 06:41:09 pm »
If You Can blow and Suck down that Value then it is Faulty. :happy2:
I just tried my pcv again and can blow and suck down the pipe with ease