Make a donation

Author Topic: How To: Mk5 Heated Seats Retrofit  (Read 134462 times)

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: How To: Mk5 Heated Seats Retrofit
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2019, 07:19:18 pm »
Heated seat modules are easy and cheap to get.
So you just need to understand the wiring on the seats themselves and you should be able to sort it out.

Do you know what year / model car the seats came from?

how does the module work? I am looking at the pictures and can only see 1 location for a plug to go into?  If the floor connects to that plug then how do the seat wiring connect to the module? if its a wiring loom, do you have the diagram for that wiring loom? If you can, I wouldnt mind the part numbers for a wiring loom and heated seat module so I can go ahead and buy it. As for the vxr seats, the year is 2007. Doesnt say much else other than that.

Thanks.

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2019, 03:36:41 am »
So I am lead to believe that what I need to sort the wiring out is:

1. Genuine heated seat wiring loom for the passenger and the driver side seats (1 genuine loom will do or 2 or do I need to buy the kufatec loom?)
2. Heated seat module for the passenger side

Right?

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2019, 06:24:35 am »

1. Genuine heated seat wiring loom for the passenger and the driver side seats (1 genuine loom will do or 2 or do I need to buy the kufatec loom?)

Right?

If your car already had factory fitted heated seats, the loom is already in place (car side), which is what gives you the 10 pin plug in the floor under each seat.

S you need the looms for the seats themselves and 1 heated seat control module which is fitted under the passenger seat.

These looms I don't think are available from kufatec. The kufatec loom is for the car side.

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline hussnainh8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2019, 01:11:15 pm »

Right?

If your car already had factory fitted heated seats, the loom is already in place (car side), which is what gives you the 10 pin plug in the floor under each seat.

S you need the looms for the seats themselves and 1 heated seat control module which is fitted under the passenger seat.

These looms I don't think are available from kufatec. The kufatec loom is for the car side.

Im guessing the loom your talking about (under the seat) looks like this https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bvcAAOSwaEhZFMH4/s-l1600.jpg    ??

If I am right, the loom connects to all the components on the seat itself so the airbag, heated seat and seat belt sensor and then the same loom connects into the heated seat module as well as under the floor 10 pin plug and play? So when I buy the loom, I keep the connectors for the module and under the floor but then cut the rest off and wire them to the cars wires?

Also why only 1 module not 2? If the wiring loom will connect to the module on the passenger side... What will the plug connect into on the driver side if there is no module? Or does the driver side loom not have the connector for the module only the passenger does?

Nearly have the confidence to try this myself! :)

Thanks.

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: Mk5 2.0 GTI 2007
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2019, 09:56:55 pm »
Hello guys, i have one question and i would be thankfull if you help me
So this is the situation..
I have mk5 GTI 12/2007 year and non heated and manual Seats non leather..
And i have Got my hands on some letter seats also manual but with heated seats..
My question is, can i just connect the airbag and leave heating out. Because i have no time to make the wires now. And Will i get any errors or faults? What shoud i lookout for?
Thanx in advance. And to say that this is a verry usefull and Great forum. Pure art  :congrats: :happy2:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:59:27 pm by Vavlas »
Sometimes those corners feel like they are the last ones 😂

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2019, 10:06:46 pm »
And i have Got my hands on some letter seats also manual but with heated seats..
My question is, can i just connect the airbag and leave heating out. Because i have no time to make the wires now. And Will i get any errors or faults? What shoud i lookout for?
Thanx in advance. And to say that this is a verry usefull and Great forum. Pure art  :congrats: :happy2:

Hi,
Yes, you can connect the airbags as they are a separate (yellow) connector. You should already have the connector coming out of the floor under the seat for the car side, and your new seats will have the matching connector.
Connect them together.
The heated seats work on their own circuits so can be completed when you're ready  :happy2:

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2019, 04:07:25 pm »

Hi,
Yes, you can connect the airbags as they are a separate (yellow) connector. You should already have the connector coming out of the floor under the seat for the car side, and your new seats will have the matching connector.
Connect them together.
The heated seats work on their own circuits so can be completed when you're ready  :happy2:

I have a New problem, seams that my socket doesnt match , and on them the colour od the cables are different , only Brown wire is on both
I have made a picture  https://ibb.co/yNcK9wt
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 04:12:10 pm by Vavlas »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2019, 04:52:05 pm »
They should still physically connect together ok? Or are they totally different shape?
Are the seats from an earlier year golf?

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2019, 09:30:46 pm »
They should still physically connect together ok? Or are they totally different shape?
Are the seats from an earlier year golf?

They look similar but they do not connect physicaly... I dont know the year of the seats..
Maybe i should try to connect cables from brown Cable and then thw middle one and then the last one.. seems a bit risky , airbag could launch and by by seat 😄
By some logic the order od cables should go that way
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:32:34 pm by Vavlas »

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2019, 10:20:06 pm »
After 2006, the airbag connectors changed, I guess the same as with the heated seat wiring.
You can leave them disconnected if you need to drive the car (you will get the airbag light on the dash which means the airbag system is disabled).
This light will need to be cleared later using VCDS.

I guess its a case of checking the wiring diagrams for pre / post 06 to seat which wires should match to which.
You could get the relevant connectors and make a convertor loom bridge between car and seat.
Or cut the connectors and connect with crimp terminals (bullet collectors).

Or you can make up a new connector with a resistor to make the car think the seat airbags are there when infact they are not connected.

Offline Vavlas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2019, 02:30:53 am »
After 2006, the airbag connectors changed, I guess the same as with the heated seat wiring.
You can leave them disconnected if you need to drive the car (you will get the airbag light on the dash which means the airbag system is disabled).
This light will need to be cleared later using VCDS.

I guess its a case of checking the wiring diagrams for pre / post 06 to seat which wires should match to which.
You could get the relevant connectors and make a convertor loom bridge between car and seat.
Or cut the connectors and connect with crimp terminals (bullet collectors).

Or you can make up a new connector with a resistor to make the car think the seat airbags are there when infact they are not connected.

i really want my airbags to work, because i love to drive fast and its better to be safe than sorry. i have googled few hours and find something similar on this forum..  https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64615.0.html
 i mean it is the same situation just in reverse, 2004 mk5 and mk6 seats, mine is 2007 mk5 and probably seats from 2004/2005 year. i will give it a go tomorrow and let you know the result

******UPDATE*****
i have done as i have writen above and gone to a local mechanic to remove the airbag error and it seems that it all works , i am driving it for a few days now and the error is not repeating again.. thanx for the help
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:23:56 pm by Vavlas »

skelly1969

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2019, 07:50:43 pm »
Hi Jason,

I read your instructions several times before I ventured to buy leather seats. I have a 56 plate golf gti that came with Tartan standard seats.
Ive installed the leather seats got the kufatec wiring loom up to 2006 and the climatronic control with heated switches. Ive worked out by your instructions where all the wires go but the problem I have is that in my fuse box i only have 2 spare switched lives (fuse positions 5 and 6)
and one live at fuse position 16. Ive included a pic of my fuse box. Any ideas on how to connect the wires to the fusebox would be welcome.
I don't really want to use piggy back fuses as they look unprofessional IMG_0016.jpg

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2019, 04:48:43 pm »
Just wanted to provide an update on this as I installed my heated seats last week. Picked up a set of Edition 30 seats and installed along with the Kufatec wiring loom.

I think I bought the wrong loom though as I didn’t have enough wires to power the electric lumber support but the heating elements work. In hindsight, I think it’s better to order the version with the electric adjustment even if you don’t need it as you don’t have to wire it up and allows any future upgrade. In my case I was short of wires so will just feed the power to the lumber separately later but for now it’s not a problem as they are set in a good position for me (so may not even bother).

I did do things a little differently to the instructions from the original post. I went about installing it as if it was a left hand drive car so feeding the wires down the left side trims, to the passenger seat and then across to the driver’s seat on the right. I cut and extended the wires that needed to go to the right hand driver’s fuse box (as it meant less wires to cut and extend) and passed it through the back of the dash and then connected it up as instructed. So far everything working great (although I find that anything above settings 4 gets really toasty on your backside!!!!).

I did find that getting the wires to connect and stay in the CESM/fuse box was a right pig to do. Would also recommend people to have several spare fuses ready as I didn’t and ended up having to pull others out to test which is not ideal. And don’t do what I did and start at 7pm on a day where it was raining on and off. All in it took me (and mate) 5 hours to do and an additional hour following day to put the dash and trims back together. I do have 1 screw left over which is super annoying so will have to dismantle some trims to see where I forgot to put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sukysingh1@gmail.com

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2020, 10:01:02 pm »
Hi I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me out here. I have a 57 reg Golf diesel which has cloth trim along with non heated seats and non electric seats at present. So the only connectors that I have is the two small ones yellow and black which are for airbag and seat occupancy sensor I believe. I have bought some leather heated seats with electric lumbar support these are from a 2004 Golf and have modules on each drivers seat.
My understanding is that i need to procure the Kufatec loom and am unsure of which one to get. My car also has the climatic control module the one which is not digital. I also have the climatic control unit from the 2004 model golf that the seats came out from. My golf has AC on the climatic control unit. The climatic control that came with the seats has the buttons for heated seats but no AC button instead it says ECON.
Is this unit compatible with my Golf as in will the AC still work ? Or do i need to get another CECM module for the AC to work etc.
Due to my car being a 57 or 2007 reg and the seats being 2004 which Kufatec loom should I order upto 2006 or 2007 onwards

Also i'm a little confused on which wiring configuration i should be using i believe it will be Climatic not sure on the pin configuration due to car being 2007 model and seats and cecm being 2004 model.

Lastly the yellow connector on my original seats looks to be a slightly different shape to the ones on the 2004 seats. I haven't tried to install the seats as yet. Will this connector  fit as is or will it need chopping and changing from my old seats ? the colours are different brown, green , white on 2004 yellow connector and brown,blue black on original . Will the 2004 seat yellow connector just fit or need chopping off from current seats ?

Could somebody please help ?

Thanks In Advance. Apologies for all the questions.

Offline sukysingh1@gmail.com

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2020, 06:12:32 pm »
Hi I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me out here. I have a 57 reg Golf diesel which has cloth trim along with non heated seats and non electric seats at present. So the only connectors that I have is the two small ones yellow and black which are for airbag and seat occupancy sensor I believe. I have bought some leather heated seats with electric lumbar support these are from a 2004 Golf and have modules on each drivers seat.
My understanding is that i need to procure the Kufatec loom and am unsure of which one to get. My car also has the climatic control module the one which is not digital. I also have the climatic control unit from the 2004 model golf that the seats came out from. My golf has AC on the climatic control unit. The climatic control that came with the seats has the buttons for heated seats but no AC button instead it says ECON.
Is this unit compatible with my Golf as in will the AC still work ? Or do i need to get another CECM module for the AC to work etc.
Due to my car being a 57 or 2007 reg and the seats being 2004 which Kufatec loom should I order upto 2006 or 2007 onwards

Also i'm a little confused on which wiring configuration i should be using i believe it will be Climatic not sure on the pin configuration due to car being 2007 model and seats and cecm being 2004 model.

Lastly the yellow connector on my original seats looks to be a slightly different shape to the ones on the 2004 seats. I haven't tried to install the seats as yet. Will this connector  fit as is or will it need chopping and changing from my old seats ? the colours are different brown, green , white on 2004 yellow connector and brown,blue black on original . Will the 2004 seat yellow connector just fit or need chopping off from current seats ?

Could somebody please help ?

Thanks In Advance. Apologies for all the questions.

Not even one response !!!

Can anyone tell me which side of the Kufatec loom is short and by how much as Kufatec can custom build the loom they just need to know the length to extend by ?? Can anyone help ??