Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage 1 Blufin - Recommended or not?  (Read 8866 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Stage 1 Blufin - Recommended or not?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
I'm in York, so really it's a 150 mile trip to a good tuners which is why I'm contemplating the bluefin so much = cost effective.

If people are happy with them I may plumb for one.

:smiley:

Little bit late on replying but I drove over 200 miles to Darkside, who tuned my car, and I had to get a hotel as they kept the car for 2 days.

Likewise when I originally had some tuning work done at Rtech (my first original remap), which are over 100 miles from me, because the quality of the work and the dyno figures, health check etc, are well worth the small (relative) cost in travel. I would travel to North Scotland is that's where Darkside where and I needed some tuning parts, but that's just me.  :smiley:

An R-tech map is like, £250-300? And a Bluefin is, £375? Is it going to cost you £75-125 in fuel to drive 200 miles?

Now it's hard to try and explain things without putting peoples backs up but I would say you've made a bad decision, personally.

Any tuning that is done without logging the car and making sure it's healthy, with a rolling road, is never going to get you good results in comparison to a proper one. For example R-Tech would have spotted the dogdy DV straight away and either offered a replacement (I can't remember if they keep bits laying around) or given you the correct advice.

Peak power is never an accurate measure of a cars performance, I would rather drive a 280bhp Golf which has smooth, perfectly mapped fuelling and a wide torque and power band, than a very peaky 310bhp Golf, which has all of it's power and torque in the last 3000rpm of the rev range, with poor fuelling negatively affecting both fuel economy and throttle response.
You wouldn't notice a difference of around 5bhp anyway, but you would notice the flatspots that may possible occur from a dodgy map.

It's like painting.

You can draw a picture of a Mini yourself;

Or describe the picture of the Mini for someone else to draw.

Very recently a member on another forum I use put a remap on their car, against the advice of people who knew what they were talking about, 2 weeks later it shat their turbo.

Ultimately, as long as you are happy at the end of the day that is what matters. I'm glad changing the DV made a big difference, it must be night and day.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:36:40 am by xjay1337 »

Offline Spadds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:48 am »
Some interesting points there, thanks for those.   :happy2:

I’m now more than happy with the performance/power of the gti with the new DV fitted, and I’m getting about 3-4 more mpg.  I would be interested to feel how it performs on a standard map with functioning DV.

It would also be interesting to hear comments from Superchips to how they obtain their tuned “bulk” maps for the masses, as apposed to reviewing each individual car on a RR.  I would imagine they’d come back with comments based on thousands of hours of testing, and the fact that their “standard” tuning maps work just on the same principle as the generic map that VW load on the ECU of the Gti when its built.  I guess there could also be a caveat that the car must be running correctly to obtain best performance too.

I got the blufin for £365 off fleaby, with K&N panel filter which I’ve seen on line for about £50, so it’s cost £315, which isn’t too bad, but more than R-Tech, Revo, Shark.  You’ve also got that factor that if you are DIY mapping the car at home and you have a mech/elec issue, it’s your issue, and not your tuners to help you with!   :scared:

Offline tandino

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:21:28 pm »
V Happy with my Buefin but only after instaling a new Genuine VW dump valve, original had split and its now going like a train, very smooth delivery and fuel consumption has improved massively too.

Cheers Pete.

Offline Bradders

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:41 pm »
Very happy with my bluefin, smooth power delivery all the way through the range. Cant understand why they get slated. It has transformed my Eddy.

Offline TomGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • PIRELLI EDITION
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:30 pm »
Getting mine Bluefin'd soon! :driver:
GTI Pirelli - Reflex Silver - 5dr - 58 - B12 Sportline kit!

Sold ~ GTI - Mk5 - Pearl Black -  Bluefin - 3dr - 08

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
Just did mine (ED30) a few weeks ago, no other mods. Awesome, really transformed the car with relentless shove especially in 3rd gear and up where the pressure gets a chance to build. I have had and have other fast cars and this is such an impressive car now, superb value. Just needs some brakes to match now.

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 10:37:49 pm »
I pulled 314 bhp after map so they must be doing something right  :congrats: all be it perhaps not as good a map as revo or Apr but for the money on stage 1 it's well worth it I love the pull after 80 in 6th it's nuts  :star:

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 11:15:22 pm »
More expensive than an R-tech map though?

Offline TomGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • PIRELLI EDITION
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 10:04:10 am »
I paid £265 in total brought a used handset off another forum member then had it updated and reset at superchips, now waiting for it to be returned  :party:l
GTI Pirelli - Reflex Silver - 5dr - 58 - B12 Sportline kit!

Sold ~ GTI - Mk5 - Pearl Black -  Bluefin - 3dr - 08

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
More expensive than an R-tech map though?

Yes but, personally i am no where near R tech so add fuel and more imprtantly for me time then the Bluefin is an ok compromise.