Make a donation

Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Exaltos are dying, what next?  (Read 1370 times)

Peskarik

Michelin Pilot Exaltos are dying, what next?
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:11 pm »
Have Pilot Exalto on my E30. These came installed from factory. There is still thread left, but the fronts will beg for replacement very soon. Done 38000km on them, did it all - high-speed autobahns in several countries, mountainous roads, even used them in winter on light snow. These tyres wear really slowly.

But now I don't really know what to choose instead of these.
What I know is that I'll be driving summer tyres well into autumn, maybe even in winter (but this time - only on dry roads).
Not looking for soft compound tyres that wear fast.

Does anyone have experience with Vredestein Sportrac 3? Are these any good give what I've written above?

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: Michelin Pilot Exaltos are dying, what next?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18:06 pm »
Id recommend these Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.
Id say 10-12k miles (20000 km?) would be expected mileage

38000km = 23000miles = a lot !
the exaltos are VERY hard wearing the flip side is they lack feel and ulitmate grip levels (I had them supplied from new)

Depends where your balance lies but for me the car is soooo much better on the PS2's its worth the downsides of increased treadwear
 :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Peskarik

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:18 pm »

the exaltos are VERY hard wearing the flip side is they lack feel and ulitmate grip levels (I had them supplied from new)

Depends where your balance lies but for me the car is soooo much better on the PS2's its worth the downsides of increased treadwear

Don't care THAT much for threadwear, but I'm going to use the tyres in cold weather as well, and that is important point for me.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:22:40 pm »

You need to stop driving in those lead shoes John_o  :grin: :grin:

My PE2's still had 3mm after 22K on the front before they died on the M40 after a meeting with some plaster board.

The PS2's are now 19K (inc 3 trips to the pod and 6 laps of the ring) and are in getting very near the thread wear indicator bar  :innocent:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:21:23 pm »
I'm going to use the tyres in cold weather as well, and that is important point for me.

depends what you mean by 'cold' I guess , in the UK we barely go below zero during the winter.
But given driving miss daisy SteveP's mileage on the same tyres , Id def try out PS2's , if you think the exaltos are good you are in for a (pleasant) surprise with PS2's

Im in love all over again with this new set  :notworthy:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Peskarik

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »
I'm going to use the tyres in cold weather as well, and that is important point for me.

depends what you mean by 'cold' I guess , in the UK we barely go below zero during the winter.
But given driving miss daisy SteveP's mileage on the same tyres , Id def try out PS2's , if you think the exaltos are good you are in for a (pleasant) surprise with PS2's

Im in love all over again with this new set  :notworthy:

OK then! I'll check these tyres out!  :drinking: