All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Timing belt change....

<< < (2/3) > >>

davegixer:
I've just had the belt changed on mine by a none-main-dealer.
The garage came recommended by a mate; it's a performance VW/Audi garage and I had a walk around before I got a quote etc. What this guy knows about VAG cars is incredible.
Cost? He did timing belt, tensioners and water pump for a fraction over 300 quid which i'm pretty sure is very competative.

It's not a straight forward job; a couple of engine mounts need removing to allow the enging to be moved for access, so I guess my point is just be careful with backstreet garages, for the sake of another £100 you could have a lot more faith in the work.

Boothy:
Hmmmmm :rolleye:

ub7rm:
This was an estimate I had from a local VAG specialist, labour will vary but they use genuine parts and the price of the parts is the same as if I were to buy them over the counter at VW...

   Work done:    TO REPLACE TIMING BELT AND TENSIONERS, TO REPLACE WATER PUMP AND COOLANT
   Advise:   
   Parts supplied:   Qty   Product   Unit Price   Discount   Total
   1   1   TIMING BELT   Ã‚£30.42   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   30.42
   1   1   TENSIONER   Ã‚£56.34   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   56.34
   1   1   PULLY IDLER   Ã‚£28.53   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   28.53
   1   1   PULLY IDLER   Ã‚£20.97   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   20.97
   1   1   WATER PUMP   Ã‚£30.13   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   30.13
   2   98074   COOLANT G12   Ã‚£7.12   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   14.24
   LABOUR   Ã‚£180.00   Sub total:   Ã‚£360.63
   PARTS   Ã‚£180.63   VAT   15.00%   Ã‚£54.09
   SERVICE   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   Ã‚£0.00
   BRAKE FLUID   Ã‚£0.00   0.00%   Ã‚£0.00
   COOLANT   Ã‚£0.00   MOT   Ã‚£0.00
   TIMING BELT   Ã‚£0.00   TOTAL   Ã‚£414.72


So as you can see all the genuine parts come to near enough £200... I would walk away from this one tbh.  He's maybe just pitching you a price to change the belt only and plans to phone you half way through the job to get you to change the rest...

Boothy:
He's told me that its the complete timing belt kit that includes the tensioners etc from VW? I think I'm gonna go see him and find out exactly what he's gonna buy and do.

ub7rm:
No doubt he gets trade discount on the parts but still....I really can't see how that doable with all the necessary genuine parts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version