Make a donation

Author Topic: "Schroth Quickfit removable 4-point harness" By Tony Danza  (Read 39741 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: "Schroth Quickfit removable 4-point harness" By Tony Danza
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2010, 09:30:17 pm »
I had a think about this earlier today while i was changing my sons nappy, and i can see why it is a problem. With the conventional belt, under load you are held or anchored from either side of your body. With the harness the anchor points are behind you. So if you were in a front on smash and the G-forces pull the top half of the seat forward, with your body there is nothing stopping the top half of the seat collapsing and your top half of the body would then lurch forward instead of being restrained upright.  :rolleye:
Would a way of solving this not be to wear your normal belt as well which would then keep you upright and allow the harness to work as well.  :happy2:

Greta pic by the way. :grin:  Whats on your sandwiches MR Balloon.  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2010, 09:39:24 pm »

I had a think about this earlier today while i was changing my sons nappy, and i can see why it is a problem. With the conventional belt, under load you are held or anchored from either side of your body. With the harness the anchor points are behind you. So if you were in a front on smash and the G-forces pull the top half of the seat forward, with your body there is nothing stopping the top half of the seat collapsing and your top half of the body would then lurch forward instead of being restrained upright.  :rolleye:

Would a way of solving this not be to wear your normal belt as well which would then keep you upright and allow the harness to work as well.  :happy2:

....I came to the same conclusion too, but then I thought some more and realised that the harness (Schroth Quikfit) isn't an inertia belt - It's a tight fixed fit and so in effect your upper body and seat back are held together. In other words, won't the fixed harness prevent/reduce the seat back from tilting forward even if the tilt lock gets released? At least that's the theory, but.

Btw, these Schroth harnesses have an anti-submarining mechanism - That's something which will help the body to seat interactive dynamic.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:40:59 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:10 pm »
But wont the  top half of the seat just force forward making the strap cut through your shoulders as this is the place of least resistance.  :chicken:

Also it would be worth finding out what G-force is required to brake the point of the tilt forward recaro seat.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2010, 10:15:35 pm »

But wont the  top half of the seat just force forward making the strap cut through your shoulders as this is the place of least resistance.  :chicken:

Also it would be worth finding out what G-force is required to brake the point of the tilt forward recaro seat.  :happy2:

....Back to school methinks - This is now getting scientific. I wish we had some definite answers. An email to Recaro perhaps?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »
Have been talking to someone today and we think we could disable the Recaro's tilt release so that the seat back remains permanently locked in place. When locked it's very solid and meets TUV.

Such a solution would save buying a more race orientated seat and having to swop driver's seat for trackdays with harness, Schroth Quikfit or otherwise.

Have now started a new thread on the specific subject:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15066.0.html

I forgot to say Thank You to *animal* for bringing this to our attention  :drinking:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:52:57 pm by RedRobin »