All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Different tyre width

(1/2) > >>

Peskarik:
Anyone tried putting say 235 rubber upfront and 225 rubber on the rear? That is supposed to reduce understeer.

I need to change my front tyres, and I am thinking Michelin Pilot Sport. At the same time I'm buying OZ Racing Alleggerita alloys in 8x18. So I thought, maybe put 235 rubber upfront and leave 225 rubber on the rear.
Is that stupid?

jonnyc:

--- Quote from: Peskarik on July 23, 2009, 04:04:56 pm ---Anyone tried putting say 235 rubber upfront and 225 rubber on the rear? That is supposed to reduce understeer.

I need to change my front tyres, and I am thinking Michelin Pilot Sport. At the same time I'm buying OZ Racing Alleggerita alloys in 8x18. So I thought, maybe put 235 rubber upfront and leave 225 rubber on the rear.
Is that stupid?

--- End quote ---

Quite an extreme way of doing it, its not just the width but the overall rolling radius that changes, so I wouldnt say it was a good idea myself.. Sure you would probably get away with it but its not a nice way of curing understeer

Hurdy:
Running different tyre widths will produce different rolling circumferences as the sidewalls will be different. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it has given issues in the past (read some posts on "another" :wink: forum) with traction control/ESP cutting in due to these differences. :smiley:

Hedge:
I think it would scare the sh*te out the TPM.

Peskarik:
Thanks guys!
It'll be 225/40 R18 Michelin PS2 then!

All I need to do is figure out what the damn abbreviations mean, that the site that I order tyres from puts after tyre names, like:
Michelin Pilot SPORT PS2
225/40 ZR18 92Y EL mit Felgenschutzleiste, M0, RR *

WHat is M0, RR, N2, N3, RRBL...  :stupid:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version