Make a donation

Author Topic: Some help please  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
Some help please
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:27:35 pm »
Well I haven't even got my Golf, but in true 'Oli' style I am already looking to get more power out.  My car is a 2008 ED30 DSG 5 Door , and I already have the re-map booked for a week Monday, it will be a Oettinger map, the same as on my S3, which I was really pleased with.  I suspect I will be speaking to Charlie at Milltek this week reference a turbo back system, again the same as my S3.  Now here is the difference, I had a carbonspeed intake on the S3, but am I right in thinking there are better intakes out there , and could someone point me in the right direction please??  I am looking for around 320 -330BHP - Have I got to uprate the fuel pump, and if I didn't what should I be expecting.

Many thanks in advance
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
Re: Some help please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:33:44 pm »
As for intakes, the likes of the Evoms / Dblias (sp?) are the only ones on the market that have any real gains.

A couple more intakes from Forge and ITG are due out shortly as well.

(Depending on the dyno  :laugh:) to get near the 330bhp mark a pump will be needed, quite a few people has seen 320+ on a stage 2 map and TBE  :happy2:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:44:23 pm »
Cheers Steve

Where do I buy the intake from, I have tried google.....

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:47:32 pm »

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:52:32 pm »
take a look at the neuspeed p-flow intake mate . i have had 1 for about 3 years and its great
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:53:39 pm »
take a look at the neuspeed p-flow intake mate . i have had 1 for about 3 years and its great

Last time I looked they didn't do one for the K04 based cars   :confused:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 12:04:19 am »
Dbilas and Evoms are both more than adequate for the ED30 in terms of an air intake to help you to 330+bhp.

The Evoms has a very raspy sound to it and you WILL get a loud wastegate chatter sound through the EVOM's when coming off throttle at 3-5krpm an most gears :evilgrin: I know I have one. It is a bit of a totally loveit or loathe it sound. Luckily both me and the wife like it (sounds a bit like a WRC turbo chatter :jumping:)

The Dbilas is quieter than the EVOMs and utilises a K&N filter inside the air inlet which replaces the stock inlet.

I also agree with the honourable SteveP that you will require a high pressure fuel pump to truly see 330bhp. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »
Right, so that's that sorted then;

Oettinger remap
Eibach Springs
Black front and back VW badges
Full resonated Milltek

And two questions marks??

DSG remap  - Chatting to Simon who does the Oettinger map, he says he can do a DSG map as well - Is this worth it, I like the idea of being able to hit the limiter
Intake - Of the two suggested I want the quieter one, as my wife will be ferrying the kids around most of the time in it, and I do not want it - LOOK AT ME!!

Cheers for all your help

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:00 pm »
^^ If you want to keep it quiet then just stick a decent panel filter replacement in, that will be enough map and exhaust for your power aims.  :happy2:

DSG Remap, for me it's on the future mods list and do think it's a worthwhile mod to enable you to unleash the full power of your other upgrades plus (if this is like the other DSG maps I have seen) will improve the manual mode and remove the annoying features like the kick-down :smiley:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:22:56 pm »
Thanks Steve.

On my 8p S3, I had the full Milltek, Oettinger and carbon speed intake, and it was perfect for my needs, so may well go down this avenue - I think I'll go on Youtube and find some EVOMs intake noise clips!

Off at 6 am to pick the car up!  ( I am in the motor trade, so deal with cars everyday, but I will still have a sleepless night tonight - such a petrol head!)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 09:27:30 pm by Oli »

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:19 pm »
where abouts do you go for the oettinger map? and this dsg map they do is it by oettinger or another company?

got the giac dsg map  myself and recommend it, just make sure the new oettinger remap you get supports the higher shifting points that the dsg map produces (ie remove soft limit), im sure if they sell them together it will do  :happy2:

intakes wise, got the dbilas myself and is certainly the quieter compared to the evoms, you don't get the raking sound but the chatter on the dbilas is not half as good as on the evoms, sounds quite pathetic. the dbilas is meant to pull colder air in to the engined due to its location using the stock grill where as the evom's is a cone inside the engine bay sucking in slightly warmer air.

personally i would give it a few more weeks until forge release the new twintake as seen on jonnyc's car,  prob will be c£350 so similar price to the competition, looks better and supposed to outperform too.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5753.0
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:03 am »
Oettinger is owned by APR and has been for a couple of years therefore expect APR software under the guise of Oettinger! It's all good stuff though :happy2:
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.