Make a donation

Author Topic: ADVICE ON CRUISE CONTROL FAULT  (Read 6671 times)

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ADVICE ON CRUISE CONTROL FAULT
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:24 am »
Hi,
Wonder if anybody can give me their thoughts on this problem with my cruise control.

I had cruise control fitted to my MK5 Golf GT TDi (2004) by Awesome GTi last September. They fitted the requried stalk etc. They did a quick test outside the garage and everything appeared OK.
I took the car, after paying £149 for the service, and made my way back home to Glasgow from Manchester. Initially the cruise control worked fine on the drive home but around halfway I had to cause to switch it off. However, when I tried to switch is back on, it failed - absolutely no response from the buttons on the side of the stalk at all. The little green cruise control light was still illuminated on the dashboard. Because I live in Glasgow, I didn't get back in touch with them as I knew I wouldn't be back (I was only down there on business for that one occassion - that will teach me).
Since then the cruise control sometimes works then sometimes dosen't.
The pattern of the operation is that it will always work on the first time of switching it on after starting my drive. After I switch it off, it almost always fails and will not switch back on until I have stopped the car, switched off the ignition and waited about 30 minutes or so. It was pretty annoying yesterday because i went for a longer drive and as descibed, it failed again. I eventaully spoke to Awesome yesterday and TBH they were pretty good saying they would sort something out if I'm ever in the area again - problem is though, is that it's very unlikely.
Can anybody give me some advice please.
Cheers

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: ADVICE ON CRUISE CONTROL FAULT
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:56:46 am »
You need to wait 30 minutes in order for it to work again? It won't work from a straight ignition cycle?

I used to have a weird problem, as I always leave my cruise control on, the light is always on. I used to find, when I had a highline TDI cluster (my car is a diesel :signLOL:), that sometimes the cruise control would be on at the stalk, but the light would not appear on the dashboard and cruise control would not work.

To fix it, I just generally had to flick the switch a few times and cycle the ignition (literally just on and off, I could do it while I was driving in a straight line, didn't have to wait at all). It went through a phase of doing this regularly and then it stopped all together, until it then started to do it once every month or so.

Since switching to a highline GTI cluster, I've never had a problem.

Outside of verifying all of the wiring to the relevant modules, checking that VAGCOM has the relevant coding (surely it would, or it would not work at all, but just un-code it and then re-code it), and trying a different stalk, who knows?

Sometimes if you have a sticky brake or pedal sensor it can cause it not to work... as it would obviously cut cruise control out if you braked or went to change gear. Very rarely, and I mean literally twice and both times it was after a clutch swap, I was on cruise control, CANCELLED IT (didn't turn it off, as I said I always leave it on and just half-flick the switch to cancel) and then went to reset back to the previous speed, and it wouldn't work. After doing the fandango (I just braked a little and also pressed the clutch) it worked.

Perhaps try pinpointing exactly what fixes it, if possible.. whether it works after pressing the brake and clutch, or whether it's only when you physically turn cruise control on and then off again.. and whether subsequent turnings off and on have any outcome.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:23:41 am »
You can split open the cruise control stalk with your finger nails, detach the Switch with PCB from the connector, and clean the contacts with some contact cleaner.  Reset fault in VCDS and check.  If this doesn't work it probably requires a new stalk... Which requires steering wheel off.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:21 am »
this happened to me yesterday for first time after a year with cruise. I never use the stalk off switch, but did yesterday, then it would'nt come on again no matter what. Until i switched off & restarted, then normal since.
I have just had cambelt & waterpump change at dealer, as well as this, a parking bulb warning light came on next day, bulb now changed, and now my rcd510 only comes on really dimmed even tho it is set a brightest level? Last night it came on really bright and then dimmed itself to min??
Do you think the dealer has reset something that has caused some of these niggles??
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 11:08:15 am »
My Altea has this intermittent activation. Would be interested to find out why?

I put a brand new stalk on and it still does it. I did a midline-highline conversion on the car.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:11:13 am »
What's the battery like?

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:56 pm »
Well, do you know, my battery is not the best. I'm not sure, but it's probably not had another battery since new. Do you think this could affect it. I have noticed that the digital mileage display inc. the miles travelled etc. does fade quite a bit if I've been driving a while. Could the battery be connected to the very faint readout. I disconnected the battery today and after I re-connected it, low and behold, the faded digital readout returned to a normal - good display. Do you know what would cause this? - I thought just wear and tear. Yeh, if my car has been in the drive after a couple of weeks holiday, it doesn't spark into life right away. How often should a battery be changed?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:32:39 pm by chakatee »

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »
most style of stalk have they fitted, the older type is prone to dirt getting on the contacts.

as said above, the brake pedal switch.

worth getting a scan, to see what faults are listed
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:47:25 pm »
well my 2008 still has original battery, the indicator thingy on it is showing clear, which the writing on the battery says it needs replacing. Terminals are quite corroded, but it starts every time....not to tempt fate....
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:08:09 pm »