Make a donation

Author Topic: I REALLY NEED HELP ANOUT AIRBAG CONNECTION  (Read 14815 times)

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
I REALLY NEED HELP ANOUT AIRBAG CONNECTION
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:32:40 am »
Hi,
This is my fist time asking for advice and I'd really appreciate some help.
I have a 2004 MK5 Golf Gt TDi. (5 door). A couple of days ago I bought a set of front and rear MK6 Golf GTD seats. The person I purchased these off genuinely believed that it would be a straight forward swap, and it was, until he tried to connect the airbag connectors under the seats. The plugs are different connections and would not fit. On the MK6 seats, the airbag plug/connection is attached to wires that are colours brown, blue and black. The plug coming from my car is attached to wires that are colours brown white and green. Can I connect these together somehow?
1)Is there an adaptor that can connect these two plugs together?
2) Can I cut off the plug from the Mk6 golf seat and wire/solder on the plug from the Mk5 seat?
3) Can I cut off the plug from the mk5 golf wire from the car and the mk6 golf seat wire and connect them together without a plug?
Are there any other compatibility issues I have to worry about regarding the seats.
I'm sure my Golf had passenger sensor facility - would this be affected by the change of seats?
The MK6 Golf seat has another small black plug with purple wires attached next to the airbag plug. It has a code on it which reads 1j0 973 119. Does this need to connect to anything?

The mk6 seat does not have a electric heated seats or electric support as far as I'm aware.
Do you think there will be an problems clearing the airbag fault light, if I eventually connect up the two.

Hopefully you can give me some advice and the answers generated can help some others.

Thanks,

Brian

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: I REALLY NEED HELP ANOUT AIRBAG CONNECTION
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:05 am »
I made some airbag resistors up as my new seats dont have airbags. Do you want them connected up? Will be no problem clearing the faults and disabling the passenger sensor. Are you sure they are not heated?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:06:51 am »
How do you disable the passenger seat airbag?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:29 am »
You can't - You'd need to change the airbag controller for one from a car with the Recaros in them.

The best and easiest way to disable the seat airbag or remove the airbagwarning light, is to wire up a 2.2ohm resister across the terminals as pictured below.

You can cut them together as I did it with my A3 seats which were different colours. There is a wire equivalent chart somewhere on the net.

Brown - Earth                                                   Left disconnected (not needed)
Green - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a                Went to black wire
Yellow - Airbag Control Unit Plug T75a               Went to blue wire

The pressure sensor can be disabled with VCDS.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:48:00 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »
The airbag resistor is the same as the above. The passenger pressure sensor just gets coded out.

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for the replies so far.
Unfortunately I havn't much knowledge on the technical side, so terms like passenger pressure sensors is just jargon to me.One of the posts mentions connecting the wires together but leaving the brown (earth) disconnected, although mentions a yellow wire which I don't have.  p
Am I able to simply connect the wires from the seat to car as per above. I want to keep the air bags on the seats and get them connected.Hopefully I've not made a big mistake by fitting these.The thing is, you read about the seats getting swapped in cars quite regularly.Cheers again

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »
So people that have gone from non recaros to recaros all have an airbag light unless they have swapped the controller or installed this resistor?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:05:17 pm »
Resistor. It's the simplest way - Why would you swap the whole air bag controller which is a royal pain in the arse.

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
Why is not possible to connect the wires from the car to the mk6 seats There are 3 wires from  the car and 3 wires from the seat, albeit different colours. Is there another problem that complicates it?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »
I didn't say it's not possible to fit the Mk6 seats - They are a straight fit and I wasn't even aware of a wiring difference, it was only VW -> Audi for which the colour chart I posted earlier should help with.

To fit Recaros (which do not have side-air bags, did you mean another set of Recaros?) you need to either change the air bag controller which will not be expecting a signal from a seat airbag plug or fit a resistor.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:24 pm »
Mk6 seat swap info:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/143617/2806108.aspx

For Mk6 GTD seats

The connectors are easy to swap over,  disconnect the battery then cut both connectors off with a good bit of wiring loom say about 5inch, then your old wiring should be green, black and brown and the new seats should be blue, white and brown? maybe the other way round but the green goes to blue the white goes to black and the brown to brown. Solder all connections and use heat shrink re-connect the battery and you'll be good to go.

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
Thanks for the link to the site explaing the process. Yes, the seats I have installed are the GTD MK6 shown by the guy Darren, mine are the exact same. So, should I cut off the plug from both ends (the connections from the seats and car) and wire them together as described. Does the battery need to be disconnected because it wasn't when we installed the seats. Will the airbag fault light disappear when it's wired up - does disconnecting the battery force a reset. I'm asking about the battery because my car has been remapped and I don't know if it will affect the settings after disconnecting the battery. I don't know how to post photo's or else I would to help describe things. I also stll seem to have restricted access to this forum (pm's) and I don't know what to do to have full permissions. Anyway the advice is much appreciated.
f amyamybody knows anybody near Glasgow who could help me it would be great. I love my car and forum is excellent.
Cheers, Brian

Offline RSam84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:57:35 pm »
I would disconnect the battery whenever playing with airbags or cutting airbag wires! I would personally find a new plug and not solder them together incase you need to take the seats back out. The warning light may go out right away or would need to be cleared by VCDS.

You need more posts to pm etc

Offline Steviedubs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 11:12:21 pm »
Use bullet connectors to connect them, it's perfectly alright to do this as there's even a vw technical bulletin for the toureg and explains to use bullet connectors. Connect them like so...

I used some insulating tape aswell to be sure, and not had any lights come on in around 8 months

Offline chakatee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: I REALLY NEED HELP ABOUT AIRBAG CONNECTION
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 11:43:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice on the bullet connectors. Is the photograph of the job you did yourself. Do you have a link to the VW technical Bulletin for the Toureg. make of vehicle is yours?
Is it always the case that the seat wires, whether MK6 or Mk5 are brown, blue and black and the car wires are brown, white and green?
What  I'm thinking of doing is:
Chopping off the plug at the MK6 seat end to leave the bare wires of brown blue and black. I'll then chop off the plug at the wiring loom end from the car that should meet the seats wires, leaving the brown, white and green wires bare. I'll then connect these together. If the seats ever need to be removed, the wire can be unplugged from the car end socket.
Can anyone please confirm if this is the correct way to connect these:
MK6 Blue wire to MK5 Green wire:
MK6 Brown wire to MK5 Brown wire:
MK6 Black wire to MK5 White wire.
Because I had to start the car to get home after installing the seats, the air bag fault light is showing. Do you think that this will clear after carrying out this connection. I don't know anybody with VCDS in Glasgow. If someone can help of suggest someone, that would be great.