Make a donation

Author Topic: what do i need for a track day?  (Read 8234 times)

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
what do i need for a track day?
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:42 am »
I had one of them supercar experiance days on wednesday and it was great but i want more!
So i would like to start doing a few track days in my gti but dont want to start stripping it out or compromising it for road use. Im wondering what the bare minimum i need to modify to enjoy it out on the track but still have a good road car. Upto now im running stage 2 and eibach springs. Theres enough power there to have fun and the handling seems pretty much spot on. The brakes are standard though and braking heavily from a high speed the discs feel like they warp and fade. Im guessing its just brakes and tyres i need really but could do with some more info, any pointers would be great thanks

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: what do i need for a track day?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »
Upgraded pads and fluid, everything else you can get along with just fine for now. So long as you can stop, you're good!!
Sideways yo!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:34 pm »
As said above brakes are the main weakness under hard driving. Also worth considering an intercooler upgrade (Audi S3 one is good value) if you haven't done that mod already?

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
on standard intercooler im afraid, is it true about racing fluid not lasting as long as normal fluid so will need changing every year? read brilliant things about the feroro ds2500 pads so would probably go for them. Will the standard discs be fine? and can i leave the rear brakes as they are? so ideally
Racing fluid
Intercooler
Pads
whats the score with tyres? and aslong as i dont do a silly amount of laps at one time i wont need an oil cooler? thanks

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:37 pm »
Aren't DS2500 illegal for road use unless part of some BBK's?

Endless are pretty good pads :laugh:

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:14 pm »
Track day insurance!!!
Past: MY07/Mk5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS Manual Steel Grey Metallic
Present: MY13/Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG Tornado Red, MY14/2K Caddy Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS Manual Candy White

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:15:05 am »

No?

Where did you get that from? lol

That's like saying, Continental tyres are illegal unless fitted to BBS wheels! :stupid: :signLOL:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 02:06:04 am »

No?

That's like saying, Continental tyres are illegal unless fitted to BBS wheels! :stupid: :signLOL:

Sure are you?

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:17:04 am »
Track day insurance!!!
My first track day I rang my insurance company "I want to insure the car to drive a Grand Prix circuit" reply was "You want insurance to drive your car in Formula One ?"  :grin:

Offline detailer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • I like things shiney
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:54:54 am »
 :signLOL: some of them really are numpties at those insurance companies.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
As people said, sort the brakes. 2500's are a good pad for fast road and light track use. If you want more then go for some Carbon Lorraine's, CR5's or 6's, these are unreal on the track! I'd just go for a good standard disc like Pagid, and good fluid.

Also, tyres, I really rate Federals RSR - They're cheap in comparison to 888's and are nearly as good on track!

| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 10:47:43 am »
Carbonne Lorraine's don't come in GTI single piston guise, unless you can get someone to add the tulip spring they will rattle like crazy.  Great compound though.

Cheaper end of the scale... Mintex 1144/55?

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 11:34:30 am »
Brakes will be your main problem, my car is stage 2 and i struggled with fade from the brakes quite quickly on my first track day. Now i have a huge Brembo brake kit which works superb.

I currently also still have the standard intercooler and dont get much o a problem with heat soak, although im sure it would be even better with a s3 intercooler.

Tyres wise i use Goodyear eagle f1 assy2's on the road and hve used them on track with no problems. Maybe drop your tre pressures a little before going on track to help them deal with the increased heat of track driving.

Other than that stay safe and have fun. :happy2: What track are you going to do?

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 11:43:30 am »

No?

DS2500 detail:
"Ferodo DS2500 is a very popular pad for trackday users and also for outright circuit use  on the shorter events. DS2500's chief characteristic is it offers a very high level of friction. DS2500 also offers excellent pedal modulation and feel. DS2500 gives you the confidence to drive accurately and smoothly on track, braking late but safe. DS2500 pads have been a big seller from Balance Motorsport for some time. DS2500 pads are also very driver friendly having excellent pedal modulation and feel. Please remember these pads are not reg 90 approved and therefore any car made later than 2000 should only use these pads on track."

DS2500 in AP Racing BBK:
Forum member Red Robin is using the AP Racing BBK where the Ferrodo DS2500 compound is used as part of an approved kit... whether that's true or not...

Ferodo comment:
"The use of Ferodo DS2500 pads on ANY car (apart form a certain Aston Martin / Porsche, whos use of this pad got homologation, due to the stopping power required and so therefore became the OE part) is totally illegal for road use, there was a famous case not so long ago where Devonshire Police asked Ferodo to identify the pads fitted in a highly tuned Corsa involved in an RTA where a woman died. The driver of the Corsa was prosecuted for using the DS2500 pads on the road."

:confused:

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »
cheers for all the info guys, i keep seing a few sets of cheap used cut slicks for sale on ebay go for next to nothing, are these allowed without a rollcage? would also have to price in a set of wheels to go with them or just get a new set of tyres and use them for road/track use. I dont want to be spending too much, so i think i will leave the standard intercooler and look into some pads. What fluid will hold up then? More than likely be donnington or mabie oulton park