Make a donation

Author Topic: what do i need for a track day?  (Read 8175 times)

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: what do i need for a track day?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 07:00:12 pm »
Lots of people run DS2500s on the road. The regulation is designed to stop pads that are 15% worse than stock. But all the EU did was slap on a +/- 15% rule.

I think you'll find any high performing pad would suffer the same problem, so by that logic, stick to cheapy motor factor pads!!! My point  being that most track-able pads will not confirm to this white elephant of a rule either.

Just like de-catting the car is technically illegal but plenty of people still do that.  :confused:

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »
Lots of people run DS2500s on the road. The regulation is designed to stop pads that are 15% worse than stock. But all the EU did was slap on a +/- 15% rule.

I think you'll find any high performing pad would suffer the same problem, so by that logic, stick to cheapy motor factor pads!!! My point  being that most track-able pads will not confirm to this white elephant of a rule either.

Just like de-catting the car is technically illegal but plenty of people still do that.  :confused:

So basically to get a better track pad theres no way around compromising cold bite for road use? if thats the case then i'll have to deal with it but if not id rather not

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 07:24:30 pm »
Ds2500s are ok on the road.  :happy2: As are many of the other track-based pads. Some better than others but you're not going to "crash"  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 07:50:05 pm »
Tis a quick enough job to swap out pads at the track, not worth the risk otherwise. Each to there own and all that though. :happy2:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:19 pm »
After your laps/session on the track be sure to leave your handbrake off and put it in gear or you will warp your discs.
Also take note of the flag system so you know what the marshals are saying,I found that looking at charts everydaythe fortnight before helped me learn em.
Also make sure you have a tow eye onboard,I have seen people scratting around for one as it wasn't by the spare wheel.

Above all enjoy the day  :driver:

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 11:02:01 pm »
Once you feel that either you or the car has had enough of that session, try and do at least one or two cool down laps. This would be no hard braking, no/little boost and keeping out of others way as much as possible, giving your car that extra bit of cooling.

Oh and I'd stay away from the slicks/race tyres until you've got some laps under your belt. ;)

Fish

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:00 pm »
DS2500 detail:
Please remember these pads are not reg 90 approved and therefore any car made later than 2000 should only use these pads on track
."

Ferodo comment:
"The use of Ferodo DS2500 pads on ANY car (apart form a certain Aston Martin / Porsche, whos use of this pad got homologation, due to the stopping power required and so therefore became the OE part) is totally illegal for road use, there was a famous case not so long ago where Devonshire Police asked Ferodo to identify the pads fitted in a highly tuned Corsa involved in an RTA where a woman died. The driver of the Corsa was prosecuted for using the DS2500 pads on the road."

True.  :happy2:

Unfortunately all serious pads aren't ECE R90 approved. The only street legal pads I'd
recommend for some light track use are:

- Ferodo DS Performance
- Cosworth StreetMaster
- EBC YellowStuff
- Pagid Clubsport

Sadly these don't withstand serious track abuse. You'd need to swap pads before track days.
There are dozens of (non street legal) track pads from Carbon Lorraine, Endless, Performance
Friction, Pagid, Hawk, Carbopad, Ferodo and others.
You might like to paint the backing plates black, but as Scotty said swapping pads is the much
better way.

Main issues on track:

- the DRIVER himself
- brakes (ventilation, pads, fluid)
- tyres
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:17:47 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 11:25:21 pm »
Another handy hint - pop the VW centre caps out of the wheels. They melt  :smiley:

Offline Tuffty

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 11:14:50 am »
I did my 1st Trackday in my Mk2 Golf GTi as a standard car, get a feel of the track and progressively get faster then you'll get the feel of the car and what you dont like about it. Wheather its rolling about and you need a suspension upgrade or your brakes are fading and you need an upgrade

Mk5 standard brakes wont last to long on a track so would start there

Offline btowery

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2015, 11:46:12 pm »
One thing that frequently gets left off of lists for new track aficionados is the addition of some kind of improved restraint system like Schroth's Quick Fit Pro. There's no better 'first' performance enhancement for a nooby.