Make a donation

Author Topic: The ECON button - What a confusing little thing  (Read 63630 times)

Offline Dubbin

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: The ECON button - What a confusing little thing
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 09:01:40 pm »
Are you sure your AC is working i.e. in either switch position does your air get really chilled? You say that you turn the heater control down to LO so you may be just getting colder air from the outside. AC compressors are common failures on these cars.
GTI, DSG, Xenons, Laser Blue, Sunroof, 5 Door, Monza IIs, MFSW

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »
I turn the dial to LO then it blows cold-ish air. If I then press the ECON button so that the light is illuminated, it blows even colder air. This is why it's so confusing. Heh.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:15 am »
sounds like your air con aint working.
Fun bags

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 10:13:08 am »
I was confused at first as the 'normal' way on most cars is, light on = AC on but as others have said the ECON light on = AC off.

Basically it works as AC default on and you press the 'economy button' to turn it off. But this obviously confused people so VW changed it to the standard AC button in the later models.

OP if you're getting colder air with the ECON light on then there could be a fault with your AC system/compressor.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:37 pm »
Now here is a interesting development...it didn't blow cold air either way today. So that was great driving home in 24° heat... hah.

We've established it is screwed, so where do I go from here?

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
Now here is a interesting development...it didn't blow cold air either way today. So that was great driving home in 24° heat... hah.

We've established it is screwed, so where do I go from here?

I read this thread last night, as my car also has the ECON button i thought i would see what happened before I posted.
This morning was NO difference driving to work. Gave it another go on the way home and still NO difference!
I think your right Alex!!

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 07:06:58 pm »
Was the same on the SAAB's, you want Economy press Eco / Econ, if not, don't.

TBH, I very rarely use A/C, but I did today and it was very welcome.

@alexmccabe : have you tried having it regassed?

kenGTI

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 07:25:01 pm »
I find that one way to find out if the AC is working is to have a look at your MPGs for that journey, if the AC is on then your MPGs should be lower

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 07:31:27 pm »
Was the same on the SAAB's, you want Economy press Eco / Econ, if not, don't.

TBH, I very rarely use A/C, but I did today and it was very welcome.

@alexmccabe : have you tried having it regassed?

Not as yet as it only stopped blowing cold today, it's £70 for an aircon service at my garage and I don't have the spare money at the moment. I will get that done eventually. Probably at the same time as an actual service.

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 07:40:48 pm »
Had a look in the manual and it says
"Button ECON- switches on economy mode. When the lamp in the button lights up, the cooling system is switched off to save fuel. In vehicles with a supplementary heating system the supplementary system is switched off, and in diesel engines the supplementary heater for the engine coolant ia also switched off,giving the heater less heat output."

Hope this helps.

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 08:13:22 pm »
I'm going to confuse things a little more.

The GTI (UK model) has automatic climate control.  It's designed to work like this:

If you press 'auto' and set the desired temperature, the smurf inside your dashboard will switch on the air-con system if it thinks it needs it and directs the airflow around the cabin as it sees fit.  There are sensors in the cabin to monitor interior temperature.  If the temperature and humidity dictate, then air-con smurf may decide not to bring in the air-con (although, as far as I can tell, this is rare).  It will turn fan speed up and down to heat or cool the cabin temperature as quickly as possible.

Econ is one of the ways to override the automatic climate control and as others have already said, it stops the air-con compressor from kicking in.  Everything else will still work, but you may never chill the car to the desired temperature on a hot day by using ambient air.  Windscreen de-mist and the directional buttons are other over-rides.  You can speed up the chilling of a car by using the recirculating button, which works by sending the air you've already chilled back round again and again.  Don't leave this feature on for too long - the lack of fresh air may make you drowsy.  A bit like reading to the bottom of this reply, I guess.
:grin:

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:01 pm »
Right, so to actually engage the aircon you have to turn it to auto and choose the temperature?

Offline Scrubadub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
  • Soon to be "bagged"
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 09:59:01 pm »
just turn to "low" and dont have anything lit up.
If you press and light up "auto" it will adjust fan speed to cool car quicker
Fun bags

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 10:26:48 am »
Right, so to actually engage the aircon you have to turn it to auto and choose the temperature?

Yeah and make sure the ECON light is off (usually goes off when you press auto).
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 12:09:31 pm »
I'm going to confuse things a little more.

The GTI (UK model) has automatic climate control.  It's designed to work like this:

If you press 'auto' and set the desired temperature, the smurf inside your dashboard will switch on the air-con system if it thinks it needs it and directs the airflow around the cabin as it sees fit.  There are sensors in the cabin to monitor interior temperature.  If the temperature and humidity dictate, then air-con smurf may decide not to bring in the air-con (although, as far as I can tell, this is rare).  It will turn fan speed up and down to heat or cool the cabin temperature as quickly as possible.

Econ is one of the ways to override the automatic climate control and as others have already said, it stops the air-con compressor from kicking in.  Everything else will still work, but you may never chill the car to the desired temperature on a hot day by using ambient air.  Windscreen de-mist and the directional buttons are other over-rides.  You can speed up the chilling of a car by using the recirculating button, which works by sending the air you've already chilled back round again and again.  Don't leave this feature on for too long - the lack of fresh air may make you drowsy.  A bit like reading to the bottom of this reply, I guess.
:grin:
I think you are bang on m8... Although I think it will only stay in recirc for a set time...

Is it possible that the control panel has been changed to the later type but someone has fitted the older type knob that has Econ on it instead of AC ...