Make a donation

Author Topic: APR Presents the 2.0 TSI Oil Protection System (OPS)  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
APR Presents the 2.0 TSI Oil Protection System (OPS)
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:09 am »
APR Oil Protection System (OPS)

Product Page: http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/oil_protection_system_20tsi.html

APR is pleased to present the Oil Protection System (OPS) for the 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen 1 engine. The OPS is designed to protect the engine from oil starvation, which can cause immediate, and comprehensive, engine failure.

The APR OPS is a racing inspired product backed by years of testing in the Grand-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. APR Motorsport’s 2.0 TSI racing program quickly exposed issues related to the engine’s design, leading to rapid engine failure during high lateral G loads. These situations are easily producible on the street during spirited runs on a twisty road, or taking highway onramps at high speeds. However, they are exacerbated on the track with race compound tires.

The TSI’s oil starvation problems are caused by the engine’s inability to circulate oil back to the oil pan and pickup point quickly enough during the driving situations described above. The oil level in the pan falls below the pickup point and oil pressure drops. With oil no longer providing a protective barrier between critical components, metal on metal contact occurs, wearing parts rapidly. With enough wear, massive engine failure can occur.

APR Motorsport spent a considerable amount of time researching the TSI’s oiling system to investigate traditional methods of addressing the problem. Baffling the oil pan, modifying the PCV system and enlarging the drain back ports from the cylinder head proved ineffective. Once the problem was fully understood the APR Oil Protection System (OPS) was created.

The OPS is a pressurized external oil accumulator designed to instantly add oil into the system the moment oil pressure dips below a predefined level. The OPS slowly presses oil into the system over a period of time until pressure equalizes, and starvation is no longer an issue. The included APR CAN Controller interacts with the ECU on the CAN bus allowing APR’s engineers to calibrate the system to only activate when necessary. At a specific RPM, the system automatically arms. This prevents the OPS from over filling the engine while idling in the pits at the track or while stopped on the street.

Video Demonstration

To better understand a generic overview of the problems solved by the APR OPS, please take a moment to view this informative video.

Oil Pressure Data

The data below shows slightly more than one lap around the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in an APR Motorsport GTI. The green area represents the VAG acceptable operating range for oil pressure. The white line represents oil pressure with the APR OPS deactivated. Oil pressure dipped to dangerously low levels and caused irreversible damage to the engine. The red line represents oil pressure with the APR OPS activated. Under demanding situations, the OPS automatically provided pressurized oil to the system to prevent damage.

Application Guide

The APR OPS was designed around the MK6 GTI/GLI platform vehicles and may fit other 2.0 TSI EA888 vehicles. Confirmed fitment is listed below.
Please Note the APR OPS will not work with the factory intake in place. You must use an upgraded unit such as the APR Carbonio and VWR Intake System.

Vehicles

• Audi A3 8P
  • VW MK6 GTI
  • VW MK6 GLI
  • VW Beetle

*May fit Leon 2.0T, Octavia VRS 2.0T, TT pending test fitment.

Engine

• 2.0 TSI (EA888) Gen 1

Transmissions

• 6MT
  • DSG

Part Number

• MS100048

Price

• GBP1070.40 inc. VAT

How to Buy

APR has a strong dealer network across the world with many dealers right in your back yard. To find a local APR dealer, please use our Dealer Locator Tool.

Thank you and Go APR!
APR UK
www.goapr.co.uk | elight@goapr.com | 0845 680 3527
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: APR Presents the 2.0 TSI Oil Protection System (OPS)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »
Think there might be a few people who had wished this was out sooner!!!

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:48:19 pm »
Think there might be a few people who had wished this was out sooner!!!

Including myself. I fell victim to high-G oil starvation on some twisty roads over a year ago.  :confused:
APR UK
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 02:24:43 am »
Price

GBP1070.40 inc. VAT

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »
Is this for the Mk5 or Mk6? the TSI is confusing me. if it is for the Mk5 then i have never heard of any Mk5's suffering this type of oil starvation even when using slicks on track unless i have missed a whole fleet of GTI's with completely new aero packages giving lots of extra downforce.  :rolleye:
The price point is just crazy as well.  :confused: I have just taken one of these systems ( accusump ) off my Exige in favour of a baffled sump and even new from Lotus they are half the price you are asking, bearing in mind Lotus charge £25 for a plastic screw.  :rolleye:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:15:40 am »
Topcat this is for the Mk6 GTI 210bhp engine that has costed several turbos in the Uk due to this problem  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:23 am »
How many mk5s use the EA888? This is a mk5 forum, right?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:58 am »

We have sevearl forum members that are using this engine in their mk 6 gti or a scirocco, and there might be some of us running the 2,0 TFSI that will end up owning a EA888 driven engine so i find the info relevant. The new S3 will have a heavily revised version of the EA888 engine so it will be interesting to see if this mod will be relevant for the engine as well.  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:15:37 pm »

We have sevearl forum members that are using this engine in their mk 6 gti or a scirocco, and there might be some of us running the 2,0 TFSI that will end up owning a EA888 driven engine so i find the info relevant. The new S3 will have a heavily revised version of the EA888 engine so it will be interesting to see if this mod will be relevant for the engine as well.  :happy2:

Truth. The TSI engine was released in Europe before the RoW, so there should be more MK5 GTIs with this engine than any others. Remember, there are also several, loyal owners of different makes that still come back to GolfMK :)
APR UK