Author Topic: Carbon engine clean  (Read 245 times)

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
Carbon engine clean
« on: September 19, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
Got a golf gti mk5 just shy of 100,000 and was thinking of getting a 2 hour carbon engine clean done. Anyone in here had an engine carbon clean and are they worth doing or just a waste of money?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 104
  • -Receive: 123
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: Carbon engine clean
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 04:56:50 PM »
It's worth doing.
It increases air flow, reduces wear, and improves throttle response. You may only notice the throttle response initially, a bit of power if the build-up was quite restrictive, and then you won't notice anything soon after. But the peace of mind is still there. Media blasting is the most efficient method. Soaking and scraping is next. I had the head rebuilt at 120k miles and it was cleaned very well at that service.
Now I do the blow-by with a 10oz fuel and solvent solution...knowing the build-up isn't great to begin with (checking it with an endo-scope first); but I do so more regularly, each year (about 2500 miles), to prevent build-up in the first place.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/Quantum 265L per hr LPFP/TORQBYTE PM3/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's/H&R SS springs...ZOOM'DIS My Dragtime link-GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline GVK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 10:22:46 PM »
Depends how it's done, if inlet manifold is removed and the head is cleaned by scraping/walnut shell blasting then thats fine.

Things like Terraclean are not so good. Can ruin injector basket filters etc and not really clean the valves!
Reflex Silver Edition 30

Offline mjmallia

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:44:25 AM »
It is worth doing but a manual process......took me most of a day to dismantle, clean the intake valves and injectors and put back together.

Get new gaskets and injector seals (special tool very useful for the teflon seals) I also needs a pipe from the PCV as it was brittle and disintegrated on removal.....this delayed me

Much more smoother now and the engine tone slightly different, but mine at 100K was really caked up and had a few misfires when looking at VCDS but not really noticed while driving.

Offline titchy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 31
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:30:39 PM »
Theres a guy on youtube called diagnosedan he has a great video on diagnosing and cleaning valves on TSI engines

Online BigstickytoffeeGTI30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:35:54 PM »
I've just had extensive work done to my engine which I will try and update in exact detail when I have digested the full bill. But essentially I had an ongoing misfire issue, new coils, plugs and pressure leak test proved futile so injectors were checked. Led to identifying a large amount of carbon build being evident around the valves, so........  :scared:

......totally refurbed cylinder head, refurbed injectors (1 was shot so a new one fitted), valve seals, head gasket, timing chain and tensioner..... probably more than I've said here but.... Bloody hell does she go!!!!!!!!!! She has never run so well -and with the Milltek I recently fitted- sounded so good either.  :jumping:

Not just a carbon clean I suppose, but one hell of a difference!!!

Just as well I am in for the long haul with her.... I need to justify the cost to myself somehow. Really wanted to fit RNS-510 and 340mm discs/calipers at Christmas as well..... Now where can I find another grand.....  :thinking:
« Last Edit: Today at 09:38:42 PM by BigstickytoffeeGTI30 »